Re: Self Nocks

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2007
      Recently, I've been using a two-step approach - a rod saw and a hand
      file, with no guides.

      A rod saw is a blade that goes in a normal hacksaw, easily found at
      any hardware store. Cut it as others here advise, make it as close to
      square as you can, but don't sweat if it isn't perfect.

      The second step is to run a file through the nock, just slightly
      larger than the rod saw blade. Again, use a cheapy from the hardware
      store. The files, often with the brand name of Nichols, are square
      sided and quickly square the sides up. Don't force the file in the
      cut, but let the file do the work.

      Currently, I don't use any other gadgets, although for some arrows I
      round over the end before cutting the nock.

      I find it essential to reinforce my nock with some thread, and have
      even robin-hooded self-knocks and the 2nd arrow "stuck" in the first.

      Logan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Nelson" <mermaidx3@...>