Re: [SCA-Archery] sealer

  • ld.blackmoon
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2007
      greetings

      thx for all those that responded !!

      be safe, be happy, have fun
      arthur blackmoon
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Eileen Procter
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:05 PM
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] sealer

      Greetings lord Arthur,

      I have not given you brand names as I hail from Lochac and I'm not sure if
      the brands and names are the same. the following information is what you
      should be looking for in a finish.

      Tung oil is one of the better oils for sealing. I know a curator who uses a
      combination of Danish oil (based on tung oil), neatsfoot and lanolin for
      treating wood: not too sure of the proportions though. The wood will need
      to be re-sealed from time to time.

      Marine varnishes are designed for flexibility with increased UV protection.
      The catch is that they are expensive but you will not have re-seal your bow
      for at least 10 years. Apply two thin coats followed by a full-strength
      coat.

      Polyurethane varnishes should be avoided as they are designed for toughness
      - the resulting film will be brittle.

      I hope that this helps
      Sabine