Repairing Self Nocks

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2007
      Ragi just mentioned that the hexshafts can be repaired when they are robinhooded.

      I would also like to point out that self nocks can usually be repaired.

      The key thing with self nocks is to wrap them behind the fletching down towards the nock.
      I use linen thread for the wrapping. Apply a coating of glue to the thread. If the wrapping
      is done properly, the arrow will split only up to the wrap. I usually find that one piece of
      the nock breaks off.

      I found a scrap arrow that I had been practising cut the nock. With a japanese fine kerf pull
      saw, I cut a section of arrow to replace the nock that had broken off. I also cut the broken
      nock end to give me more of splicing surface. It was just a simple butt splice. Cleaned up
      both pieces for a flush fit, glued them in place with titebond 2 and wrapped with linen
      down to the nock. They are shooting fine and were fixed in less time than it would have
      taken to strip the arrows, cut the nocks, and refletch them.

      Here is a link to a picture showing what I mean.

      http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/jameswolfden/selfnock.jpg

      The wrapping is key. It gives strength and integrity to the arrow and to the splice.