Gulf Wars

  • Dougal MacAlister
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2007
      Good gentles all,

      Anyone happen to have the final tabulation of the Target Archery and
      Live Weapons war points from this past week?

      Many thanks to all who came out to shoot / throw.

      To the Calon Tir contingent, thank you for putting on a most fun shoot
      with Rats and Bats, my Lady Jane and I had a lot of fun with that one.

      Happy Shooting
    • agincort@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
        > One thing that Pennsic has that GW does not is a woods walk course.

        Even at Pennsic we have to set woods walks up as 'special shoots'
        since
        the staffing is intense there for that, mostly because each target gets
        set up
        as a separately scored mini shoot. With ten target scenarios, it takes
        almost
        everyone not on the champions teams to turn out to staff it. IE: 30 on
        each
        team, sometimes 40 - when the allies are added in, then 20 plus marshals,
        at 2 per, well, you see. On the other hand, many new marshals have joined

        the scorers in the past few years. And more than a few marshals in
        training.
        It also takes some hours to set up, and 4 hours or so to shoot.
        That is not the only way to do it; my local archery range (Wingfoot)
        runs
        mostly woods walks. Their main expense is in getting targets. The course,
        once set up, is self scored, and there are no marshals at all.
        That also takes hours, for the shoot, not for the shooter, but with 30
        stations,
        it takes quite a while. Add in the scoring and tallying - and giving
        prizes.
        I've been on a few of those in the SCA as well. Groups of four can
        police
        themselves,usually. And the number of targets controls the time. The
        prizes if any can be at dinner or court, so plenty of flex overall.
        The particular war format at Pennsic has made the above difficult, to
        impossible to do, but Gulf war might find it possible. If having an
        unusual - Hunters experience - is the goal, then it could be done with
        less tabulation. On the other hand, "there were ten animals, how many
        did you hit? Which army? OK" One scorer, no problem.
        As for this year, at Pennsic, the range has moved, and the woods may
        be in question, since the archery is off Mt. Eislin, where that woods
        walk
        happened. I believe the new site has that potential, as well, so it may
        continue. That's the intent, anyway.
        Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
        Midrealm Forester - OP
        Novelty shoot coordinator Pennsic 38
        "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of
        hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
        Click to get free auto insurance quotes from top companies.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTImHZi1JquXMK9n056zcsOD1BQ6r4oLOZFDf8Al7N0enmmVPTbQpa/
      • Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2009
          the range is moving..."near" port torgua , near is very subjective. to reduce confusion (mine ) pick one ...A,B or C --- click on the pins ---

          http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=40.978173,-80.145596&spn=0.00554,0.008594&t=h&z=17&msid=116121689809694412373.00046698c8725df49ca8b

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2009
            Those of you who got your copies of 'Going for the Gold' can look up
            the Pennsic Woods walk shoot set up for more information. Ian has given
            a good overview of it here though.

            How it gets done at Pennsic this year--- we'll have to see.

            Dirk Edward of Frisia