Re: discussion question about arrow shafts

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2007
      For target shooting, I still buy manufactured shafts.

      For A&S, and in the short future -targets, I will be making my own shafts.

      I currently have several dozen ash and poplar blanks, 7/16 square. I use the
      arrow-plane designed by John Strunk (great guy and bowyer) to round the shafts
      with. If you are using pretty straight grained wood, it turns out a pretty
      straight arrow.

      I have not used a self-made shaft yet in target practice/competition though.
      Hopefully this year.

      Godwin

      > Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:14 pm (PST)
      >

      > Thank you to thebowhunter, Simmon Sinneghe, Padraig, and Logan the
      >
      >Boweyder for responding to my earlier inquiry.
      >
      >I had hope for wider feedback, so in the hopes of generating more
      >
      >discussion, some more questions:
      >
      >How many fletchers out there have tried making shafts? Was it
      >
      >worthwhile or do you prefer to buy manufactured shafts?
      >
      >Did you make shafts in the round from shoots/small limbs, or did you
      >
      >cut them down from staves/larger pieces of wood?
      >
      >Which woods did you try? How did they work for you?
      >
      >Thanks again for your input. I enjoy all of the discussions on this
      >
      >list.
      >
      >Sol
      >
      >Argent, a sun between a base enarched and base sable.
      >
      >Jararvellir, Northshield

    • Jim McCoin
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de
        Strigoil <archergodwin@...> wrote:

        > For target shooting, I still buy manufactured shafts.
        >
        > For A&S, and in the short future -targets, I will be making my own
        shafts.

        > I currently have several dozen ash and poplar blanks, 7/16 square.
        I use the
        > arrow-plane designed by John Strunk (great guy and bowyer) to round
        the shafts
        > with. If you are using pretty straight grained wood, it turns out a
        pretty
        > straight arrow.
        >
        > I have not used a self-made shaft yet in target
        practice/competition though.
        > Hopefully this year.

        Sometime in the dim past I read that Native Americans in the
        Southwest had no straight branches long enough to make arrows. They
        would mortice short lengths of straight wood together and bind them
        with sinew. That's what I call a creative hunter.

        Any one else heard of this?.

      • thebowhunter@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2007
          I mke mine both way's I used salt cedar Bamboo and buy POC from where
          ever I can find the right price for them. I use the salt cedar and
          Bamboo's on my self bow these are made from osage, I triesd osage for
          shafts material but they busted to quick seem to be to britle.
        • robb
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2007
            I've tried to make my own. it does work theres lots of different
            woods you can use. I used shoots strip the bark heat them to
            straighten them and sanded them with some sand stone. the one problem
            is time and the spine of the arrow its easier to buy shafts, just for
            the fact its quicker and all arrows spine will match. If your looking
            to build some for display and not to shoot its great
            hope this helps

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Sol" <fula_chris@...> wrote:

            > Thank you to thebowhunter, Simmon Sinneghe, Padraig, and Logan the
            > Boweyder for responding to my earlier inquiry.
            >
            > I had hope for wider feedback, so in the hopes of generating more
            > discussion, some more questions:
            >
            > How many fletchers out there have tried making shafts? Was it
            > worthwhile or do you prefer to buy manufactured shafts?
            >
            > Did you make shafts in the round from shoots/small limbs, or did
            you
            > cut them down from staves/larger pieces of wood?
            >
            > Which woods did you try? How did they work for you?
            >
            > Thanks again for your input. I enjoy all of the discussions on
            this
            > list.
            >
            > Sol
            > Argent, a sun between a base enarched and base sable.
            > Jararvellir, Northshield

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2007
              I've made arrows from both cedar and ash. Since my yew English
              longbow is 42#, I found the ash shafts to be much too heavy for me. I
              also prefer 5/16" shafts, so finding other shaft wood options in that
              size and spine are difficult, and I don't want to go the laminated
              route. So at this time I'm kind of limited to using cedar.
              Erriil

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2007
                I cut mine in shuts from salt cedar which is commonly knowns as
                Tamarack in some places. It is found growing in UTAH, COLORADO, NEW
                MEXICO, ARIZONA, NEVADA. Along the river banks then I work them down
                with a steel plate and drill to the size I want. then I steam them
                straight and bundle them up. Then I will use ther compresion roller a
                few months latter finish them off you caan use dog wood martha stewart
                tommatoe stake rose bush.
                and if the arrow comes up to lite on the grsin side soak the in oil (I
                use mineral oil to do this), PVC TUBE that is capped off.