Finished projects

  • Jim McCoin
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
      I had the time and nervous energy this winter to finish a few projects.
      I posted some photos in the photo section.

      I dont know how off topic a kettle helm is in a archery forum, but it's
      there also.

      Jim
    • Rusty McMillan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
        Not off topic at all, if you wear it when you shoot. It looks good.
        I'm getting ready to build a couple of new kettle style helms with my
        Baron, and I plan to wear mine when I learn to shoot combat archery
        (mine will have bar work below the brim). I'll just have to make sure
        the brim doesn't interfere with the string!

        Randal

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@...> wrote:

        > I had the time and nervous energy this winter to finish a few projects.
        > I posted some photos in the photo section.
        >
        > I dont know how off topic a kettle helm is in a archery forum, but it's
        > there also.
        >
        > Jim

      • Dennis Heisey
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
          Any details on how you made the helm?
        • Jim McCoin
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 22, 2007
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Heisey" <vze3yxfc@...>
            wrote:

            > Any details on how you made the helm?
            >I will try to give as brief a discription as I can. I would log on
            to the Armor Archive, there are hours of detailed info there.

            I used a taylors tape to measure my head, I added 1 1/2" for a lining
            and a arming cap. I cut a strip of 16 ga. sheetmetal 1 1/2" wide for
            the main band as long as I needed, I shaped the band around my thy
            till it was the shape I wanted. I clamped the ends together and
            welded them closed, I drew a line on a piece of paper and set the
            band on the line, I fliped the band over a few times and tweeked it
            till both sides were the same.

            I took two pieces of construction paper and formed them into a single
            cone and taped them together, this is the brim pattern, how steep the
            angle is or how wide the brim is, is up to you. Set the band on the
            cone and draw a line around the brim, if you used heavy enough paper
            it won't collapse. Cut the paper cone in half front to rear as close
            as possible to the center. Add 1/4" or so to the line in the center
            of the cone and however much you want for the brim plus 1/2" to roll
            over on the rim. Cut these patterns out of a piece of 16 ga. form
            these gently. till they but up together, tack them and weld them
            together. Set the finished band on the finished brim, tack them at
            least every 1" or so, skip weld them every few inches or so. Grind
            out what ever material was left on the inside.

            You can either do a roll or simply fold the edge back on its self to
            stiffen the outside edge.

            Cut two bands for the fore and aft band and the side to side band,
            how tall and what shape you make them is up to you, the shape you
            like, I slightly dish them to match the dish of the four panels.

            For the panels that fill in the spaces between the bands you are
            going to have to make a paper pattern for, what ever pattern you make
            add at least 1/2" on each side for shrinkage during dishing, I wont
            go into dishing its covered on the Armor Archive toutorials, so is
            riveting. I did make my own dishing bowl out of two pieces of 4/4"
            hardwood from a pallet, I bolted them together with 1/2" allthread
            and cut the bowl out with a wood gouge.

            If you need any more info email me, Im not an armorer, but a long
            time prototype fabricator in Silicon Valley.

            Jim