Re: [SCA-Archery] question for the list

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13 9:24 AM
      http://www.siue.edu/COSTUMES/PLATE25DX.HTML

      The first link is to a picture in the photo section of this list.
      Clearly the subject in this link matches the subject in the second
      link. However, the first link titles the subject as a German hip
      quiver, and the second link titles the picture Italian. I have found
      another link on-line, which I can not currently relocate, on how to
      make this quiver and titles it an Italian quiver. Not that it truly
      matters, but is this quiver/character Italian or German? (My version
      of this quiver is posted in the photos section of this list under cog
      photos.)

      cog

      .

      I posted the picture in the photos section. At the time I thought this was a great portrait of a German quiver. However now that I have looked into the whole quiver issue much more, I would have to say that quiver and bow are much more along the lines of an Eastern piece, possibly Russian, Mongol or Persian. they all were heavily influenced by the Mongol influence by that time and show similar design in their quivers.

      The following link shows a quiver from 1627, slightly out of period, which is kept in the Kirov Regional Art V.M. and A.M. Vasnetsovs Museum.

      http://www.kreml.ru/en/main/exhibition/Russian/?ID=122

      You can find lots of pictures of these kinds of quivers in the Persian miniature illuminated manuscripts of the 16th Century. That shape seems to have been common in the East.

      I can't find the info on the original picture. It was probably the painters national origin that made me think German.

      So to recap. At this point I would not use that picture to show a German or Italian quiver. And I certainly would not use the other picture. Braun and Schneider are notorious for their slightly incorrect redraws.

      This is a link to a picture by Hans Memling. Sixth picture down shows what is probably more appropriate for German. The tube quiver seems much more common in Europe in this period.
      http://www.kfki.hu/~/arthp/html/m/memling/2middle1/index.html

      i hope this helps a little.

      Nest

    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13 9:38 AM
        John and Carol Atkins <cogworks@...> wrote:

        Oh here it is. The painting is by Vittore Carpaccio in his "Stories from the life of St Ursula"

        Definitely Italian. I have no idea what made me think it was German. Anyway I hold with my earlier theory. The quiver is more eastern than European.

        Nest

      • Dallas Perry
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13 4:23 PM
          Something to consider: Most of what is today Italy and Germany belonged to
          the Holy Roman Empire during the Middle Ages and it would not be too far of
          a stretch that a design for something as simple in function as a quiver, and
          indeed many other items would be similar in both areas.

          Albrecht von Reith

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14 10:11 AM
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dallas Perry" <dallasperry@...>
            wrote:>
            > Something to consider: Most of what is today Italy and Germany
            belonged to the Holy Roman Empire during the Middle Ages and it
            would not be too far of a stretch that a design for something as
            simple in function as a quiver, and indeed many other items would be
            similar in both areas.

            > Albrecht von Reith

            no stretch at all .. already documented in the archives here and
            Combat Archery are:

            travelers on the Varengian River routes (Black Sea to Baltic)
            selected weapons and clothing from many cultures -- whatever worked,
            e.g. the Cossack Kama blade is a cross between a Turkic semitar and
            Roman short sword. My 'banded-mail' vest is based on Chinese armor
            found in a 11th century German burial mound.

            all Carolingian soldiers had to carry three arrows to support
            archers -- so 'any' method of carrying arrows is period.

            the archery 'windsock' (Draco) is Alani in origin and found in many
            cultures including England.

            For me, the only 'strange' view of weapons, armor and clothing is
            the assumption by some that anything was unique to a particular
            culture. It is more than 'creative minds think alike' -- travel and
            trade were far more extensive that documented in common history
            books that only deal with nobility, religion and war.

            kinjal

          • blkknighti@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14 7:34 PM
              Very true. other things to consider.
              The event depicted is in Germany (Cologne)
              The Artist is Italian painting in the Italian school.
              the clothing looks pretty Italian
              the bow is hunnish and (someone said the quiver appears more eastern, I
              agree, and so too the bow) the quiver appears more eastern.
              The prince depicted in the painting as the story goes had the Huns kill her
              companions. Which may explain the Hunnish bow and quiver

                St. Ursula (and the 11 thousand virgins) was a daughter of a British
              Christian king betrothed to a pagan prince. She wished to preserve her virginity and
              said to her father that she could accept the marriage on condition that the
              prince's father gave her ten most noble virgins, each with a thousand virgins
              in her service, and would be allowed three years to consider. The virgins
              embarked a ship; after sea passage, they went up the Rhine as far as Colonge, later
              sailed on to Basel, after pilgrimage to Rome, where rhey met the Pope, they
              returned to Colonge. The frustrated Ursula's fiancé fired an arrow at her,
              which pierced her breast. Her companions were put to the sword by a king of the
              Huns.

              My rough conclusion. The bow and quiver in the picture is Hunnish. (the
              artist seems to have done some homework)
              I ahve found another painting depicting the incident by Hans Memling which
              has the Prince in full Armor and using a longbow. Dress is more of the english
              style.
              Hope this perspective helps.
              Richard

              In a message dated 2/13/07 8:31:15 PM, dallasperry@... writes:

              > Something to consider: Most of what is today Italy and Germany belonged to
              > the Holy Roman Empire during the Middle Ages and it would not be too far of
              > a stretch that a design for something as simple in function as a quiver, and
              > indeed many other items would be similar in both areas.

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 17 9:51 AM
                This is another example of my position that the SCA is more a
                Victorian recreation society than a truly medieval one. In our
                presentations it is more common to find the Victorian position of
                claiming to have all the answers and being positive in all knowledge
                when we are not up to date on the current research, do not have all
                the answers (maybe even the leading edge professionals don't have
                them yet), and even make up facts with assumptions to fill voids than
                it is to see a presentation expressing the current state of knowledge
                and admitting what we are filling in for lack of knowledge. The
                historical and archaeological records are mute on many details about
                the equipment we use so we have to fill in with what we do know. For
                example, we do not really know how common built up rests were on long
                bows so we assume it was most common to shoot off the hand. A
                reasonable assumption but not absolute. Read Jim Bradbury' s "The
                Medieval Siege" for how a professional handles missing data.
                Carolus