Re: Picture of an "Ascham"

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13 6:35 AM
      An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and
      archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in
      our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out
      this page from The Witchery of Archery

      http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/witchery/docs/appendix/the_ascham.gif

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@...> wrote:

      > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on
      > google. What is an "ascham"?
      >
      > Jim

    • Rusty McMillan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13 8:11 PM
        James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

        Randal

        An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

        archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

        our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

        this page from The Witchery of Archery

        http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

        --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

        > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

        > google. What is an "ascham"?

        > Jim

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;
        }
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        padding-top:10px;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar{
        clear:both;
        margin:25px 0;
        white-space:nowrap;
        color:#666;
        text-align:right;
        }
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;
        white-space:nowrap;
        }
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        padding:15px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-ft{
        font-family:verdana;
        font-size:77%;
        border-top:1px solid #666;
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;
        }

        #ygrp-vital{
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        font-size:77%;
        font-family:Verdana;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#333;
        text-transform:uppercase;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;
        margin:2px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        list-style-type:none;
        clear:both;
        border:1px solid #e0ecee;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#ff7900;
        float:right;
        width:2em;
        text-align:right;
        padding-right:.5em;
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;
        }
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;
        }

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        padding:6px 13px;
        background-color:#e0ecee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;
        margin:0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        list-style-type:square;
        padding:6px 0;
        font-size:77%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;
        font-size:130%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        background-color:#eee;
        margin-bottom:20px;
        padding:0 8px;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        font-family:Arial;
        font-weight:bold;
        color:#628c2a;
        font-size:100%;
        line-height:122%;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;
        }
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;
        }
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;
        }
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;
        }
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

      • Dan Martin
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13 10:03 PM
          call me a savage I own over 100 bow due to collecting them but I only shoot two.
          But my bows and quivers are hung on my walls on deer horn steer horn and plain ol nails

          Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:
          James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

          Randal

          An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

          archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

          our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

          this page from The Witchery of Archery

          http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

          --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

          > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

          > google. What is an "ascham"?

          > Jim

          <!--

[...]

          American Legion Of Oklahoma
          Post 911
          Commader
          Sons of the American Legion
          Squadren 911
          Commander
          AmVets 27
          Judge Advacate
          Past Commander
          AL911/AV27
          Office Manager
          AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
          blackwaterincorp@...
          If you can read than a Teacher
          If you can read english thank a Soldier
          A man can live about 40 days without
          Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
          Air, and one second without Hope.

        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 17 12:17 PM
            You might also check with antique outlets and auction houses. Many
            have quite affordable armoires which make wonderful Aschams.
            Carolus