Re: Picture of an "Ascham"

  • Jim McCoin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil"
      <archergodwin@...> wrote:

      > Anybody have a picture of an "Ascham", or perhaps some of you have
      > made one, and have a picture of it. I would appreciate it if you could
      > forward one to me.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Godwin

      Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on
      google. What is an "ascham"?

      Jim
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
        Check the photo section of the group. There is photo of an ascham.

      • thebowhunter@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
          I beleive your search should start here it is the english war bow
          youare looking for so go here
          http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/warbow.html
          good luck

          <archergodwin@...> wrote:

          > Anybody have a picture of an "Ascham", or perhaps some of you have
          > made one, and have a picture of it. I would appreciate it if you could
          > forward one to me.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Godwin

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
            An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and
            archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in
            our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out
            this page from The Witchery of Archery

            http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/witchery/docs/appendix/the_ascham.gif

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@...> wrote:

            > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on
            > google. What is an "ascham"?
            >
            > Jim

          • Rusty McMillan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
              James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

              Randal

              An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

              archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

              our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

              this page from The Witchery of Archery

              http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

              --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

              > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

              > google. What is an "ascham"?

              > Jim

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;
              }
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;
              }
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              padding-top:10px;
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              margin:0;
              }
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;
              }
              #ygrp-actbar{
              clear:both;
              margin:25px 0;
              white-space:nowrap;
              color:#666;
              text-align:right;
              }
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;
              white-space:nowrap;
              }
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              padding:15px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-ft{
              font-family:verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              border-top:1px solid #666;
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;
              }

              #ygrp-vital{
              background-color:#e0ecee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
              }
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              font-size:77%;
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#333;
              text-transform:uppercase;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;
              margin:2px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              list-style-type:none;
              clear:both;
              border:1px solid #e0ecee;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#ff7900;
              float:right;
              width:2em;
              text-align:right;
              padding-right:.5em;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;
              }
              #ygrp-vital a {
              text-decoration:none;
              }

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;
              }

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;
              font-size:77%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              padding:6px 13px;
              background-color:#e0ecee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;
              margin:0;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              list-style-type:square;
              padding:6px 0;
              font-size:77%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;
              font-size:130%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              background-color:#eee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              padding:0 8px;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              font-family:Arial;
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#628c2a;
              font-size:100%;
              line-height:122%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;
              }
              o {font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal {
              margin:0 0 0 0;
              }
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;
              }
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq {margin:4;}
              -->

            • Dan Martin
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                call me a savage I own over 100 bow due to collecting them but I only shoot two.
                But my bows and quivers are hung on my walls on deer horn steer horn and plain ol nails

                Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:
                James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

                Randal

                An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

                archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

                our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

                this page from The Witchery of Archery

                http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

                --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

                > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

                > google. What is an "ascham"?

                > Jim

                <!--

[...]

                American Legion Of Oklahoma
                Post 911
                Commader
                Sons of the American Legion
                Squadren 911
                Commander
                AmVets 27
                Judge Advacate
                Past Commander
                AL911/AV27
                Office Manager
                AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
                blackwaterincorp@...
                If you can read than a Teacher
                If you can read english thank a Soldier
                A man can live about 40 days without
                Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
                Air, and one second without Hope.

              • Carolus
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                  You might also check with antique outlets and auction houses. Many
                  have quite affordable armoires which make wonderful Aschams.
                  Carolus