Picture of an "Ascham"

  • Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
      Anybody have a picture of an "Ascham", or perhaps some of you have
      made one, and have a picture of it. I would appreciate it if you could
      forward one to me.

      Thanks!

      Godwin
    • Jim McCoin
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil"
        <archergodwin@...> wrote:

        > Anybody have a picture of an "Ascham", or perhaps some of you have
        > made one, and have a picture of it. I would appreciate it if you could
        > forward one to me.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Godwin

        Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on
        google. What is an "ascham"?

        Jim
      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
          Check the photo section of the group. There is photo of an ascham.

        • thebowhunter@swbell.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
            I beleive your search should start here it is the english war bow
            youare looking for so go here
            http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/warbow.html
            good luck

            <archergodwin@...> wrote:

            > Anybody have a picture of an "Ascham", or perhaps some of you have
            > made one, and have a picture of it. I would appreciate it if you could
            > forward one to me.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Godwin

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
              An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and
              archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in
              our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out
              this page from The Witchery of Archery

              http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/witchery/docs/appendix/the_ascham.gif

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@...> wrote:

              > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on
              > google. What is an "ascham"?
              >
              > Jim

            • Rusty McMillan
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

                Randal

                An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

                archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

                our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

                this page from The Witchery of Archery

                http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

                --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

                > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

                > google. What is an "ascham"?

                > Jim

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

              • Dan Martin
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                  call me a savage I own over 100 bow due to collecting them but I only shoot two.
                  But my bows and quivers are hung on my walls on deer horn steer horn and plain ol nails

                  Rusty McMillan <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:
                  James, thank you for posting the picture of the Victorian Ascham. I've been thinking one would be a nice addition to the house someday, and this will fuel my desire to build it (perhaps not quite as fancy as the one shown)! I still wish some others in the group who have built SCA Aschams would add photos of their's to the album I posted. It would be nice to see how others may have modified the design.

                  Randal

                  An Ascham is the archery equivalent of a gun rack. It is a cabinet for holding your bows and

                  archery tackle. They are named after Roger Ascham but don't date back that far. The one in

                  our photos section is a portable version. For a more traditional Victorian Ascham, check out

                  this page from The Witchery of Archery

                  http://www.archeryl ibrary.com/ books/witchery/ docs/appendix/ the_ascham. gif

                  --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "Jim McCoin" <j.mccoin@.. .> wrote:

                  > Ok, I just fell off the back of the turnip truck and had no luck on

                  > google. What is an "ascham"?

                  > Jim

                  <!--

[...]

                  American Legion Of Oklahoma
                  Post 911
                  Commader
                  Sons of the American Legion
                  Squadren 911
                  Commander
                  AmVets 27
                  Judge Advacate
                  Past Commander
                  AL911/AV27
                  Office Manager
                  AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
                  blackwaterincorp@...
                  If you can read than a Teacher
                  If you can read english thank a Soldier
                  A man can live about 40 days without
                  Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
                  Air, and one second without Hope.

                • Carolus
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                    You might also check with antique outlets and auction houses. Many
                    have quite affordable armoires which make wonderful Aschams.
                    Carolus