Re:Crossbow strings

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
      I have made strings with 2 sets of loops. I usually make them in
      contrasting colors. If done correctly, no problems. Sigfried is right, you
      make the string with an extra strand or two.

      Padraig

    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

        > Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
        > don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
        > don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
        >
        > Njall

        What kind of dynamics are you thinking about? I'm not sure how much
        but, the Flemish Twist is slightly heaver than the Continious loop.

        Iain Griffen
      • Dayrl Merrill
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
          I have made several 2 color continous loop crossbow strings, Actually as
          described 2 continous loops served together. How many extra strands if any
          would depend on the poundage of the crossbow.

          Rask

          At 05:48 PM 2/2/07, you wrote:

          >Rj Bachner wrote:
          >
          > > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
          >you wish
          > > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.
          >
          >Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
          >don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
          >don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
          >
          >Njall

        • John Atkins
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
            I have made Flemish crosbow strings and they work just dandy. Of
            course, like all Flemish strings they stretch at first and need to be
            twisted to compensate, but once stretched out they work just as well as
            a continuous loop (made those too). The conpensation for the crossbow
            versus a hand bow is that I served the end loops. I believe there is a
            great deal more stress on the end loops of a crossbow string than a hand
            bow string, thus the serving. I also double served the center/contact
            area as this tends to take a great deal of stress both from contact with
            the bolt end and the prod/guide rail. And, yes, they were pretty
            because they were two toned. Look good, shoot good.

            cog

          • Scott B. Jaqua
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
              Crossbow strings do take a lot of abuse at the loops. In part because
              this is where the shock is greatest at the end of the power stroke. But
              also in part because the string is bent around a very small radius.
              Another small radius is the sharp bend at the release nut when spanned.
              So these are the two places I have seen crossbow strings fail.

              Njall

              --
              Scott B. Jaqua
              Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns