Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow strings

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2 2:15 PM
      You are in essence making two continuous loop strings. You may need an
      extra loop of both colors to make up for the break. That being said a
      few cautions.

      One, don't knot your colors together. First wrap one color and anchor it
      on your jig and then do the other. Pull the ends of each color under
      the serving like usual. This might work better if you end the two colors
      on opposite ends of your jig.

      Two, make sure your two strands are equal in all ways. Diameter,
      strength, amount of wax, etc. If the strings are at all uneven, then
      they will stretch at different rates. This could put all the load on
      only one half of your string. The half that stretched out further or faster.

      And last, speaking of stretch, make sure you really pre-stretch your
      string before shooting it. Static force is much more forgiving then the
      force at release. String you crossbow for several days first. That will
      start the stretch. Then span the bow for several hours at a time. Last
      do a series of spanning a relaxing the bow. All this before your first
      shot. This will give as much stretch as possible and allow you see
      problems relating to how the string stretchs in early on.

      Njall
    • Rj Bachner
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2 2:42 PM
        What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as you wish
        and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.

        Ragi

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2 2:48 PM
          Rj Bachner wrote:

          > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
          you wish
          > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.

          Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
          don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
          don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.

          Njall
        • i_griffen
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2 4:46 PM
            Many years ago I made a Flemish Crossbow string. For the life of me I
            am not able to remember the inches added to the prod length I think it
            was 6".

            Iain Griffen

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rj Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@...>
            wrote:

            > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
            you wish
            > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.
            >
            > Ragi
          • i_griffen
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2 4:52 PM
              When I laied up the string I layed both colors at the same time using
              equal tension.I started the loop on one end of the jig and finished
              ith on the other end. when I seerved the string the starting and
              ending were served into the eyes for the string.

              I will let you know if I had any problems after Estrella War

              Iain Griffen

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>
              wrote:

              > Unless you have some fancy multicolored Dacron ... then by
              definition
              > a multi-colored continuous loop string, doesn't exist.
              >
              > Since a continuous loop string derives much of it's strength by the
              > fact that it's one, bit, long, loop of string.
              >
              > No breaks.
              >
              > Now, that said, I could see the possibility of using two colors,
              > basically making 2 endless loops on top of each other, and binding
              > them together. But I would use a 'few more strands' than I would
              > otherwise, to make up for the 'cut' in the string that you are
              making.

              > Though, at the same time, if you are wanting a multicolored look ...
              > why not just make a flemish string?
              >
              > Siegfried
              >
              > On 2/1/07, Ian Griffen <i_griffen@...> wrote:
              > > Has anyone had problems using a multi-corlored continuious loop
              crossbow string?

              > > Iain Griffen
              >

              > --

              ___
              > THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
              > Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
              > Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target
              Archery
              > http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2 6:34 PM
                I have made strings with 2 sets of loops. I usually make them in
                contrasting colors. If done correctly, no problems. Sigfried is right, you
                make the string with an extra strand or two.

                Padraig

              • i_griffen
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2 6:47 PM

                  > Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
                  > don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
                  > don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
                  >
                  > Njall

                  What kind of dynamics are you thinking about? I'm not sure how much
                  but, the Flemish Twist is slightly heaver than the Continious loop.

                  Iain Griffen
                • Dayrl Merrill
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3 4:55 PM
                    I have made several 2 color continous loop crossbow strings, Actually as
                    described 2 continous loops served together. How many extra strands if any
                    would depend on the poundage of the crossbow.

                    Rask

                    At 05:48 PM 2/2/07, you wrote:

                    >Rj Bachner wrote:
                    >
                    > > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
                    >you wish
                    > > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.
                    >
                    >Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
                    >don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
                    >don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
                    >
                    >Njall

                  • John Atkins
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4 2:27 PM
                      I have made Flemish crosbow strings and they work just dandy. Of
                      course, like all Flemish strings they stretch at first and need to be
                      twisted to compensate, but once stretched out they work just as well as
                      a continuous loop (made those too). The conpensation for the crossbow
                      versus a hand bow is that I served the end loops. I believe there is a
                      great deal more stress on the end loops of a crossbow string than a hand
                      bow string, thus the serving. I also double served the center/contact
                      area as this tends to take a great deal of stress both from contact with
                      the bolt end and the prod/guide rail. And, yes, they were pretty
                      because they were two toned. Look good, shoot good.

                      cog

                    • Scott B. Jaqua
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4 5:15 PM
                        Crossbow strings do take a lot of abuse at the loops. In part because
                        this is where the shock is greatest at the end of the power stroke. But
                        also in part because the string is bent around a very small radius.
                        Another small radius is the sharp bend at the release nut when spanned.
                        So these are the two places I have seen crossbow strings fail.

                        Njall

                        --
                        Scott B. Jaqua
                        Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns