Crossbow strings

  • Ian Griffen
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2007
      Has anyone had problems using a multi-corlored continuious loop crossbow string?

      Iain Griffen

      'AS unto the bowthe cord is,
      So unto the man is woman;
      Though she bends him, she obeys him,
      though she draws him, yet she follows,
      Useless each without the other.'
      Longfellow, Hiawatha

    • Jim McCoin
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Ian Griffen <i_griffen@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had problems using a multi-corlored continuious loop
        crossbow string?

        > Iain Griffen
        >

        > 'AS unto the bowthe cord is,
        > So unto the man is woman;
        > Though she bends him, she obeys him,
        > though she draws him, yet she follows,
        > Useless each without the other.'
        > Longfellow, Hiawatha

        As a total new guy, who made his first string this week. What kind of
        problems?

        Jim

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
          Unless you have some fancy multicolored Dacron ... then by definition
          a multi-colored continuous loop string, doesn't exist.

          Since a continuous loop string derives much of it's strength by the
          fact that it's one, bit, long, loop of string.

          No breaks.

          Now, that said, I could see the possibility of using two colors,
          basically making 2 endless loops on top of each other, and binding
          them together. But I would use a 'few more strands' than I would
          otherwise, to make up for the 'cut' in the string that you are making.

          Though, at the same time, if you are wanting a multicolored look ...
          why not just make a flemish string?

          Siegfried

          On 2/1/07, Ian Griffen <i_griffen@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone had problems using a multi-corlored continuious loop crossbow string?
          >
          > Iain Griffen

        • Dana DeGroat
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
            Any line only develops its full strength in a straight line pull with
            no bends or knots. A bend in a line as in around a bow nock reduces
            strength by about 20%. Knotting a line reduces strength by 20% to 50%
            depending on the knot used. In a total system of bends and knots as
            long as the right knots are used the overall strength of the line
            remains the same regardless of the number of knots or bends. If weaker
            knots are used then the total strength of the line will need to be
            increased approximately.

            Kind of a long winded way of saying that as long as it's done right
            mixing colors won't effect the strength of the line.

            Note. I spent 25 years as a captain of ocean going tugs mostly on trans
            Pacific routes so have some knowledge of line under load, given that
            your mileage may vary:) As they say different ships different long
            splices.

            In Service
            Dana the Unredy
          • latorrej@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
              In a message dated 2/2/2007 7:22:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              SiegfriedFaust@... writes:
              Now, that said, I could see the possibility of using two colors,
              basically making 2 endless loops on top of each other, and binding
              them together. But I would use a 'few more strands' than I would
              otherwise, to make up for the 'cut' in the string that you are making.
              I've used that method for a longbow string (to use up two different color
              leftovers!). The only problem was that, in serving the end loops, I wasn't
              careful to keep the colors separated. So, instead of a sting that appears to be
              two separate strands twisted together as in a flemish, the colors are
              distributed rather randomly. Doesn't look too bad, though, and works fine.

              Joseph de la Tour, West Kingdom

            • Scott Jaqua
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                You are in essence making two continuous loop strings. You may need an
                extra loop of both colors to make up for the break. That being said a
                few cautions.

                One, don't knot your colors together. First wrap one color and anchor it
                on your jig and then do the other. Pull the ends of each color under
                the serving like usual. This might work better if you end the two colors
                on opposite ends of your jig.

                Two, make sure your two strands are equal in all ways. Diameter,
                strength, amount of wax, etc. If the strings are at all uneven, then
                they will stretch at different rates. This could put all the load on
                only one half of your string. The half that stretched out further or faster.

                And last, speaking of stretch, make sure you really pre-stretch your
                string before shooting it. Static force is much more forgiving then the
                force at release. String you crossbow for several days first. That will
                start the stretch. Then span the bow for several hours at a time. Last
                do a series of spanning a relaxing the bow. All this before your first
                shot. This will give as much stretch as possible and allow you see
                problems relating to how the string stretchs in early on.

                Njall
              • Rj Bachner
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                  What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as you wish
                  and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.

                  Ragi

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Rj Bachner wrote:

                    > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
                    you wish
                    > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.

                    Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
                    don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
                    don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.

                    Njall
                  • i_griffen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                      Many years ago I made a Flemish Crossbow string. For the life of me I
                      am not able to remember the inches added to the prod length I think it
                      was 6".

                      Iain Griffen

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rj Bachner" <ragiwarmbear@...>
                      wrote:

                      > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
                      you wish
                      > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.
                      >
                      > Ragi
                    • i_griffen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                        When I laied up the string I layed both colors at the same time using
                        equal tension.I started the loop on one end of the jig and finished
                        ith on the other end. when I seerved the string the starting and
                        ending were served into the eyes for the string.

                        I will let you know if I had any problems after Estrella War

                        Iain Griffen

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Unless you have some fancy multicolored Dacron ... then by
                        definition
                        > a multi-colored continuous loop string, doesn't exist.
                        >
                        > Since a continuous loop string derives much of it's strength by the
                        > fact that it's one, bit, long, loop of string.
                        >
                        > No breaks.
                        >
                        > Now, that said, I could see the possibility of using two colors,
                        > basically making 2 endless loops on top of each other, and binding
                        > them together. But I would use a 'few more strands' than I would
                        > otherwise, to make up for the 'cut' in the string that you are
                        making.

                        > Though, at the same time, if you are wanting a multicolored look ...
                        > why not just make a flemish string?
                        >
                        > Siegfried
                        >
                        > On 2/1/07, Ian Griffen <i_griffen@...> wrote:
                        > > Has anyone had problems using a multi-corlored continuious loop
                        crossbow string?

                        > > Iain Griffen
                        >

                        > --

                        ___
                        > THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
                        > Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
                        > Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target
                        Archery
                        > http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

                      • Frederick Fenters
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                          I have made strings with 2 sets of loops. I usually make them in
                          contrasting colors. If done correctly, no problems. Sigfried is right, you
                          make the string with an extra strand or two.

                          Padraig

                        • i_griffen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                            > Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
                            > don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
                            > don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
                            >
                            > Njall

                            What kind of dynamics are you thinking about? I'm not sure how much
                            but, the Flemish Twist is slightly heaver than the Continious loop.

                            Iain Griffen
                          • Dayrl Merrill
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                              I have made several 2 color continous loop crossbow strings, Actually as
                              described 2 continous loops served together. How many extra strands if any
                              would depend on the poundage of the crossbow.

                              Rask

                              At 05:48 PM 2/2/07, you wrote:

                              >Rj Bachner wrote:
                              >
                              > > What is wrong with a flemish crossbow string? You can mix colors as
                              >you wish
                              > > and the braiding will even out the unequal bundle tension worries.
                              >
                              >Nothing that I can think of. However it is outside my experience. I
                              >don't believe I have ever seen a flemish twist crossbow string. So I
                              >don't know how it would work with the dynamic of a crossbow.
                              >
                              >Njall

                            • John Atkins
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                                I have made Flemish crosbow strings and they work just dandy. Of
                                course, like all Flemish strings they stretch at first and need to be
                                twisted to compensate, but once stretched out they work just as well as
                                a continuous loop (made those too). The conpensation for the crossbow
                                versus a hand bow is that I served the end loops. I believe there is a
                                great deal more stress on the end loops of a crossbow string than a hand
                                bow string, thus the serving. I also double served the center/contact
                                area as this tends to take a great deal of stress both from contact with
                                the bolt end and the prod/guide rail. And, yes, they were pretty
                                because they were two toned. Look good, shoot good.

                                cog

                              • Scott B. Jaqua
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                                  Crossbow strings do take a lot of abuse at the loops. In part because
                                  this is where the shock is greatest at the end of the power stroke. But
                                  also in part because the string is bent around a very small radius.
                                  Another small radius is the sharp bend at the release nut when spanned.
                                  So these are the two places I have seen crossbow strings fail.

                                  Njall

                                  --
                                  Scott B. Jaqua
                                  Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns