Wayne of the Heights

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
      Greetings All,

      I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the
      SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir
      Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood
      Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
      West.

      Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the
      Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished mine
      for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented
      on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I
      have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss
      them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the
      plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach
      him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any
      information would be appreciated.

      In Service,

      Randal
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
        Welcome to the list. I saw your "Ascham" at the tourney, it was
        quite well made.

        Jon

        On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Rusty McMillan wrote:

        > Greetings All,
        >
        > I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the
        > SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir
        > Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood
        > Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
        > West.
        >
        > Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the
        > Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished mine
        > for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented
        > on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I
        > have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss
        > them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the
        > plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach
        > him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any
        > information would be appreciated.
        >
        > In Service,
        >
        > Randal

      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
          Ok, I will bite. What is an "Ascham"?

          Nest

          John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
          Welcome to the list. I saw your "Ascham" at the tourney, it was
          quite well made.

          Jon

          On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Rusty McMillan wrote:

          > Greetings All,
          >
          > I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the
          > SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir
          > Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood
          > Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
          > West.
          >
          > Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the
          > Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished mine
          > for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented
          > on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I
          > have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss
          > them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the
          > plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach
          > him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any
          > information would be appreciated.
          >
          > In Service,
          >
          > Randal

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
            A piece of furniture used to store bows and arrows. It was usually a
            tall cabinet, sometimes glass fronted. I believe it is Victorian in
            origin. It is named after Roger Ascham, one time tutor to Elizabeth
            I and author of the first book in English on Archery. In this case
            it refers to a portable stand with arms on either side for bows and
            two openings in the top for arrow storage with a central storage
            section with a door for small items. For ease in transport and
            storage the legs and arms fold out of the way.

            Jon

            On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:

            > On Jan 22, 2007, at 7:44 AM, Rusty McMillan wrote:
            >
            > > Greetings All,
            > >
            > > I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the
            > > SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir
            > > Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood
            > > Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom
            > of the
            > > West.
            > >
            > > Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the
            > > Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished
            > mine
            > > for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented
            > > on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I
            > > have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss
            > > them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the
            > > plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach
            > > him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any
            > > information would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > In Service,
            > >
            > > Randal

          • Carolus
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
              The plans you are referring to were published in The Caidan Archer
              number 1, Spring 1991. They have never appeared on the
              Internet. Wayne still holds copyright to these plans and, at this
              time, we do not know his whereabouts. Thus, the plans remain out of
              the public domain and cannot be published. A number of woodworkers
              have obtained copies and made Bowracks from them, including
              commercially. This is permissible but distributing the plans is not.

              For the record, an Ascham is technically a cabinet for the storage of
              archery tackle. This nifty portable rack is not, therefore,
              technically an Ascham though Wayne described it as such. This is
              another of those unique SCA manifestations.. I, and I am sure, others
              would be interested in seeing photos of racks made to Wayne's plans
              posted to the photos section of this group.
              Carolus

              At 07:44 AM 1/22/2007, you wrote:

              >Greetings All,
              >
              >I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the
              >SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir
              >Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood
              >Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the
              >West.
              >
              >Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the
              >Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished mine
              >for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented
              >on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I
              >have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss
              >them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the
              >plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach
              >him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any
              >information would be appreciated.
              >
              >In Service,
              >
              >Randal

            • Scott B. Jaqua
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 22, 2007
                Rusty McMillan wrote:

                > Greetings, Carolus
                >
                > I appreciate your comments. While there was no copyright verbage on the
                > plans Wayne of the Heights sent to me in '92, I knew they had been
                > previously published and that is why I'm trying to reach him to get
                > permission to share the plans with others.

                As for the plans you received, copyright insignia means that a copyright
                is registered. However, you do not need to register to hold a copyright.
                Registration allows you collect punitive damages, in the event of a
                copyright violation. Unregistered copyright only allows you to collect
                fair use fees, in such a case.

                Now as the publisher for the Caidan Archer at the time in question.
                Copyright always remains with the submitter. The submission of material
                to an SCA publication allows for that one use, only. It does nothing to
                otherwise assign the copyright.

                Njall
                --
                Scott B. Jaqua
                Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 23, 2007
                  Greetings, Carolus

                  I appreciate your comments. While there was no copyright verbage on the plans Wayne of the Heights sent to me in '92, I knew they had been previously published and that is why I'm trying to reach him to get permission to share the plans with others. As Sir Jon mentioned, I modified Wayne's plans to include a storage cabinet with a door in the center of the "Ascham", so I coincidentally made it more in line with the original. I will post photos soon. In turn, I would appreciate seeing pictures of more traditional "Ascham"s.

                  Thank you, Randal

                  At 07:44 AM 1/22/2007, you wrote:

                  >Greetings All,

                  >I am new to this yahoo group, but have been shooting archery in the

                  >SCA for several years. I am Randal of Camusfearna, squire to Sir

                  >Wilhelm vom Zweikopfeigen Falke. I am a member of the Darkwood

                  >Baronial Company of Archers, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the

                  >West.

                  >Back in 1992, I received plans for an SCA "Ascham" from Wayne of the

                  >Heights. I made one for Sir Wilhelm years ago, but just finished mine

                  >for the Archery Tourney this last weekend. Several people commented

                  >on it, and a couple asked whether they could get plans for one. I

                  >have made some modifications, and wanted to contact Wayne to discuss

                  >them, but he is no longer at the phone number he provided with the

                  >plans. Does anyone know if he is still involved, how I could reach

                  >him, or whether he ever posted his plans on the internet? Any

                  >information would be appreciated.

                  >In Service,

                  >Randal

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  padding-top:10px;
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  clear:both;
                  margin:25px 0;
                  white-space:nowrap;
                  color:#666;
                  text-align:right;
                  }
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;
                  white-space:nowrap;
                  }
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  padding:15px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  font-family:verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  border-top:1px solid #666;
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  font-size:77%;
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#333;
                  text-transform:uppercase;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;
                  margin:2px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  list-style-type:none;
                  clear:both;
                  border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#ff7900;
                  float:right;
                  width:2em;
                  text-align:right;
                  padding-right:.5em;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital a {
                  text-decoration:none;
                  }

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;
                  font-size:77%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  padding:6px 13px;
                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  list-style-type:square;
                  padding:6px 0;
                  font-size:77%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;
                  font-size:130%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                  background-color:#eee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  padding:0 8px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#628c2a;
                  font-size:100%;
                  line-height:122%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  o {font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal {
                  margin:0 0 0 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;
                  }
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq {margin:4;}
                  -->

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 23, 2007
                    Randal

                    I have made contact with Wayne and he has your email address.

                    Also interested in the project.

                    Hugh

                    Rusty McMillan wrote:

                    >Greetings, Carolus
                    >
                    >I appreciate your comments. While there was no copyright verbage on the plans Wayne of the Heights sent to me in '92, I knew they had been previously published and that is why I'm trying to reach him to get permission to share the plans with others. As Sir Jon mentioned, I modified Wayne's plans to include a storage cabinet with a door in the center of the "Ascham", so I coincidentally made it more in line with the original. I will post photos soon. In turn, I would appreciate seeing pictures of more traditional "Ascham"s.
                    >
                    >Thank you, Randal

                  • Dougal MacAlister
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 23, 2007
                      I'd love to get more information on this as well. My Lady is courting the idea of being apprenticed to a Laurel of sewing/seamstress and that Laurel happens to be married to a Laurel in furniture making, whom I'm entertaining the idea of apprenticing to. Having such a project as this could be a fantastic tie in of my interests all the way around: Build something, Archery something, and spend time with my Lady, which these days is becoming harder to do with all of our interests.

                      Dougal

                      Rusty McMillan wrote:

                      >Greetings, Carolus
                      >
                      >I appreciate your comments. While there was no copyright verbage on the plans Wayne of the Heights sent to me in '92, I knew they had been previously published and that is why I'm trying to reach him to get permission to share the plans with others. As Sir Jon mentioned, I modified Wayne's plans to include a storage cabinet with a door in the center of the "Ascham", so I coincidentally made it more in line with the original. I will post photos soon. In turn, I would appreciate seeing pictures of more traditional "Ascham"s.
                      >
                      >Thank you, Randal

                    • Rusty McMillan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 23, 2007
                        Thank you to all who responded to my request about Wayne of the Heights.

                        I just had a good phone conversation with him. He still has his first
                        "Ascham" he wrote the article about, and said that though it is a bit
                        worn, it is still functional. He has not yet redone his plans in a
                        computerized format; the original was good old cut and paste. This
                        renewed interest has him thinking about redoing the instructions for
                        electronic publication. In the mean time, he encouraged me to
                        photocopy the plans he sent me to share with people in my area. He
                        also said I could share his contact information: St. Louis area phone
                        (636)397-1323, wayne.ault@.... He is still involved in the
                        SCA, and had a house full of folks learning to turn raw wool into
                        thread while I spoke with him.

                        I have downloaded a few photos of my bow stand, and invite others who
                        have built one to share their photos as well. Wayne said he might
                        even take a couple of his old one to post. He just has to remember
                        his Yahoo sign-in!

                        Thanks again; I am impressed with how quickly I was put in touch with
                        Wayne, and the other discussions on this site are very interesting.
                        This is an exciting time to be an SCA archer!

                        Randal of Camusfearna
                      • Steven Casort
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 24, 2007
                          Two or three years ago I was given the "Asham" plans. I was told at that time we could not place them online because noone knew where the author was and we did not have his permission. However I was told that the passing on of the plans was fine, NOT selling them, but giving them free to those who asked.
                          I have sence made and sell a modified version of this with no complaints.
                          Therefore I see no problem in copying the plans for someone, if you do not charge for them.

                          Just my 2 cents worth
                          Ihon MacLucas

                          In Service
                          Ihon MacLucas
                          aka Steve Casort

                        • Cian of Storvik
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 24, 2007
                            I believe that Aschams (pronounced 'ask-ahms') are a post period
                            piece of furniture from the Victorian era (when target and clout
                            archery were a sport craze in England). Below is an excerpt
                            from "the Book of Archery" c1841 by George Agar Hansard.

                            Ironically, I almost named my child, Agar.
                            <begin quote>
                            Every archer keeps his bows in bags of green baize, sometimes
                            enclosed in additional tin cases. Many have also a wooden cupboard,
                            called an ASCHAM, in honour of the learned individual whose name it
                            bears. The common height of this contrivance is about eight feet;
                            its breadth and depth two. A board pierced with round holes,
                            sufficient to receive a few dozen arrows, occupies the lower part in
                            front, forming a kind of quiver, which extends, however, only half
                            the depth of the Ascham, so as to leave sufficient room for the
                            bows, which are placed behind. A drawer, three inches deep, occupies
                            the top, to hold strings, with sewing silk, and wax for whipping
                            their centre; white kid or chamois leather to bind the eyes and
                            nooses; scarlet or green riband for tying the string to the upper
                            bow horn; spare arrow piles(38), horns, and all the other little
                            nicknacks of an archer's gear. Suspended around the sides within, on
                            a number of small brass hooks, are the belt, brace, shooting glove,
                            and several pairs of six inch pasteboard butt marks painted and
                            gilt. The whole is, of course, secured by a door, which should
                            always be kept locked. When of a rich green colour, and emblazoned
                            with the owner's armorial bearings, and the pattern of a riband
                            corresponding to his arrow-mark, the Ascham is a rather ornamental
                            piece of furniture in an archer's hall: where numbers appear ranged
                            on either side of the apartment, proudly surmounted by shields,
                            banners, and trophies, all tinged with the glories of a western sun,
                            they are pre-eminently so.
                            <end quote>
                            I don't believe aschams are portable, but are semi static pieces of
                            furniture (like a wardrobe or cupboard) to actually store multiple
                            bows and archery tackle in and display. I suppose a portable
                            or "field" version can still be an ascham, lacking any other
                            descriptive definition.
                            -Cian
                          • Carolus
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 24, 2007
                              This is a common misconception about copyright. It is never
                              permissible to distribute copies of another's work without specific
                              permission or the work being in the public domain. It does not
                              matter whether there is a charge or not. If the person wished to
                              charge for the plans and you copy them for someone else you are
                              depriving them of their just compensation (potential though it may
                              be). If we wish to truly act as courteously as we profess to, we
                              must not knowingly violate anothers rights in this way.
                              Carolus

                              At 07:53 AM 1/24/2007, you wrote:

                              >Two or three years ago I was given the "Asham" plans. I was told at
                              >that time we could not place them online because noone knew where
                              >the author was and we did not have his permission. However I was
                              >told that the passing on of the plans was fine, NOT selling them,
                              >but giving them free to those who asked.
                              >I have sence made and sell a modified version of this with no complaints.
                              >Therefore I see no problem in copying the plans for someone, if you
                              >do not charge for them.
                              >
                              >Just my 2 cents worth
                              >Ihon MacLucas
                              >
                              >In Service
                              >Ihon MacLucas
                              >aka Steve Casort

                            • Rusty McMillan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Scott B. Jaqua" <hagerson@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Rusty McMillan wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Greetings, Carolus
                                > >
                                > > I appreciate your comments. While there was no copyright verbage
                                on the
                                > > plans Wayne of the Heights sent to me in '92, I knew they had
                                been
                                > > previously published and that is why I'm trying to reach him to
                                get
                                > > permission to share the plans with others.
                                >
                                > As for the plans you received, copyright insignia means that a
                                copyright
                                > is registered. However, you do not need to register to hold a
                                copyright.
                                > Registration allows you collect punitive damages, in the event of a
                                > copyright violation. Unregistered copyright only allows you to
                                collect
                                > fair use fees, in such a case.
                                >
                                > Now as the publisher for the Caidan Archer at the time in question.
                                > Copyright always remains with the submitter. The submission of
                                material
                                > to an SCA publication allows for that one use, only. It does
                                nothing to
                                > otherwise assign the copyright.
                                >
                                > Njall
                                > --
                                > Scott B. Jaqua
                                > Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
                                > http://sjaqua.tripod.com

                                NJall,

                                Since you posted the above, I have gotten permission from Wayne to
                                distribute copies of the plans. I have recently gotten a new spate
                                of requests for the plans, including one to post the information to
                                the Yahoo group files. Do you, or anyone else, see a problem with
                                posting scanned copies on the net now that I have the original
                                author's permission?

                                Thanks, Randal
                              • John edgerton
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                                  You might consider attaching the author's permission to the article.

                                  Jon, list moderator

                                  On Jan 17, 2008, at 12:31 PM, Rusty McMillan wrote:

                                  > Since you posted the above, I have gotten permission from Wayne to
                                  > distribute copies of the plans. I have recently gotten a new spate
                                  > of requests for the plans, including one to post the information to
                                  > the Yahoo group files. Do you, or anyone else, see a problem with
                                  > posting scanned copies on the net now that I have the original
                                  > author's permission?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, Randal

                                • Carolus
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2008
                                    Beat me to it. Do you have the permission in writing? This is the
                                    legal requirement per the copyright laws. With that document,
                                    publication in any manner permitted by the author is not only
                                    acceptable but encouraged. BTW, could you get my contact info to
                                    Wayne, I would very much like to get back in touch with him.
                                    Carolus