Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery Champions?

  • Jeffrey Webb
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 12, 2007
      In the East Kingdom there are two Archery Champions that are decided by a Kingdomwide competition. The highest position is the Queen's Champion and the second place position is the King's Champion. The other finalists in this day of target and field competitions are how the East Kingdom selects half of the team that will shoot the Champions Point at the Pennsic War. It is a very high honor for all involved and the competition is very stiff (it's also a real great shoot with targets and shoots more elaborate than any you're likely to ever see at an event of any kind).
      I had the priviledge and honor of being the East Kingdom Queen's Champion several years ago. The King and Queens Champions design and run the competition to choose their successors.
      -Geoffrei

      check out the Eastwinds Tribal Drumming web-page at:

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
        Thank you for the interesting information.

        Jon
        On Jan 13, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Jeffrey Webb wrote:

        > In the East Kingdom there are two Archery Champions that are
        > decided by a Kingdomwide competition. The highest position is the
        > Queen's Champion and the second place position is the King's
        > Champion. The other finalists in this day of target and field
        > competitions are how the East Kingdom selects half of the team that
        > will shoot the Champions Point at the Pennsic War. It is a very
        > high honor for all involved and the competition is very stiff (it's
        > also a real great shoot with targets and shoots more elaborate than
        > any you're likely to ever see at an event of any kind).
        > I had the priviledge and honor of being the East Kingdom Queen's
        > Champion several years ago. The King and Queens Champions design
        > and run the competition to choose their successors.
        > -Geoffrei

      • morrigan_clubfoot
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
          Here in Avacal - a Principality of An Tir - our archery champion is
          chosen every August at Investiture. The outgoing champion designs a
          tournament and the winner is Avacal Champion of Arrows and the
          second place finish is Avacal Iron Arrow.

          The Champion and the Iron Arrow have the responsibility of fielding
          two teams of 10 archers at Quad War (our big summer War) and each
          team's points are added to the Archery War Point, along with the
          Populace War Point.

          During this reign, the Archery Champion is also the head of the
          Princesses' Guard of Archers, chosen by Her Highness to be her
          personal Guards. This is totally dependant on each reign - not
          every Princess has and archery guard.

          The Iron Arrow co-conspired with the other second placed finishers
          of the Championship tourneys and sponsored an Iron Auction to raise
          money for our Coronet's travel fund.

          Here in Avacal, our Championship is well attended as we have a
          strong community of target and combat archers, and our Champions
          have fairly high profiles within the Avacal community. Upon
          stepping down, they are styled "Elder of Avacal".

          From what I understand at Kingdom Level, the Kingdom Protector is
          chosen by combat archery 'duel' which seems very odd to me.
          Perhaps someone from downtown An Tir can weigh in with the tourney
          format and the duties and profile of the Protector?

          Viscountess Morrigan

          Iron Arrow

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you for the interesting information.
          >
          > Jon
          > On Jan 13, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Jeffrey Webb wrote:
          >
          > > In the East Kingdom there are two Archery Champions that are
          > > decided by a Kingdomwide competition. The highest position is
          the
          > > Queen's Champion and the second place position is the King's
          > > Champion. The other finalists in this day of target and field
          > > competitions are how the East Kingdom selects half of the team
          that
          > > will shoot the Champions Point at the Pennsic War. It is a very
          > > high honor for all involved and the competition is very stiff
          (it's
          > > also a real great shoot with targets and shoots more elaborate
          than
          > > any you're likely to ever see at an event of any kind).
          > > I had the priviledge and honor of being the East Kingdom
          Queen's
          > > Champion several years ago. The King and Queens Champions
          design
          > > and run the competition to choose their successors.
          > > -Geoffrei

        • jameswolfden
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
            In the Kingdom of An Tir, the archery champion is called Kingdom Protector. The
            tournament is run during the weekend of September Crown. This is a missile combat
            tournament and it is possible to win the tournament using thrown weapons rather than
            archery but I do not know when that was last done.

            The tournament is a box tourney, also called a one on one. Two squares are pegged out
            on the ground a set distance apart. An archer enters the box with twelve arrows (or other
            missile weapons) to face off against an archer in the other box. If an archer steps out of
            the box, they are considered dead. At the call of lay on, the archers shoot at each other
            until one is dead. If neither archer is dead after all missile weapons are expended, then
            victory goes to the archer that scored the most points (i.e. hitting a limb).

            Duties
            The Champion is considered an officer of the Royal Court. They are expected to attend all
            Crown Events and attend Royal Court in their regalia. They must support the Crown in war.
            They are expected to promote archery in the Kingdom.

            In Service,
            HL James Wolfden
          • Tyr vonWolfsberg
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
              Outlands

              Position: Royal Archer
              Term: One Year
              Chosen on the Sunday of the Memorial Day weekend events
              Duties: Member of the royal retinue(s) and serves as the ceremonial
              archery rep among the martial arts.

              The winner of the Royal Archer competition is the high scorer of a
              competition shot at 2 different large events at the same time. One
              site is in the south at Grand Outlandish (Barony of al-Barran event),
              the other is in the north at Crossroads (Canton of Hawks Hollow
              event). After the shoots are over at around 11 am, the 2 sites confer
              by phone and a single winner is announced at both events.

              YIS,
              Tyr

              > I am looking for information on the position of Archery Champion in
              > various kingdoms. The West has just created its first archery
              > champion and I would like to find information on how other kingdoms
              > select theirs and what the duties may be? In the West the position
              > includes both target and combat archery and serves for one year.
              >
              > Thank you for any help you can give.
              >
              > Jon
              >

              > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
              > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
              > cunning of mind.

            • Eileen Procter
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                In the kingdom of Lochac we have the Royal Archer chosen at the discretion
                of his Majesty. Besides a position in court, the royal archer has an arrow
                to be shot on command. The archer can be either combat, target or both and
                not necessarily one of renown. If the archer is a combat archer then they
                fight for the King at wars.
                Sabine

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                  Thank you. That was most helpful.

                  Jon

                  On Jan 13, 2007, at 9:19 AM, morrigan_clubfoot wrote:

                  > Here in Avacal - a Principality of An Tir - our archery champion is
                  > chosen every August at Investiture. The outgoing champion designs a
                  > tournament and the winner is Avacal Champion of Arrows and the
                  > second place finish is Avacal Iron Arrow.
                  >
                  > The Champion and the Iron Arrow have the responsibility of fielding
                  > two teams of 10 archers at Quad War (our big summer War) and each
                  > team's points are added to the Archery War Point, along with the
                  > Populace War Point.
                  >
                  > During this reign, the Archery Champion is also the head of the
                  > Princesses' Guard of Archers, chosen by Her Highness to be her
                  > personal Guards. This is totally dependant on each reign - not
                  > every Princess has and archery guard.
                  >
                  > The Iron Arrow co-conspired with the other second placed finishers
                  > of the Championship tourneys and sponsored an Iron Auction to raise
                  > money for our Coronet's travel fund.
                  >
                  > Here in Avacal, our Championship is well attended as we have a
                  > strong community of target and combat archers, and our Champions
                  > have fairly high profiles within the Avacal community. Upon
                  > stepping down, they are styled "Elder of Avacal".
                  >
                  > From what I understand at Kingdom Level, the Kingdom Protector is
                  > chosen by combat archery 'duel' which seems very odd to me.
                  > Perhaps someone from downtown An Tir can weigh in with the tourney
                  > format and the duties and profile of the Protector?
                  >
                  > Viscountess Morrigan
                  >
                  > Iron Arrow

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                    Thank you. Very useful information.

                    Jon

                    On Jan 13, 2007, at 9:56 AM, jameswolfden wrote:

                    > In the Kingdom of An Tir, the archery champion is called Kingdom
                    > Protector. The
                    > tournament is run during the weekend of September Crown. This is a
                    > missile combat
                    > tournament and it is possible to win the tournament using thrown
                    > weapons rather than
                    > archery but I do not know when that was last done.
                    >
                    > The tournament is a box tourney, also called a one on one. Two
                    > squares are pegged out
                    > on the ground a set distance apart. An archer enters the box with
                    > twelve arrows (or other
                    > missile weapons) to face off against an archer in the other box. If
                    > an archer steps out of
                    > the box, they are considered dead. At the call of lay on, the
                    > archers shoot at each other
                    > until one is dead. If neither archer is dead after all missile
                    > weapons are expended, then
                    > victory goes to the archer that scored the most points (i.e.
                    > hitting a limb).
                    >
                    > Duties
                    > The Champion is considered an officer of the Royal Court. They are
                    > expected to attend all
                    > Crown Events and attend Royal Court in their regalia. They must
                    > support the Crown in war.
                    > They are expected to promote archery in the Kingdom.
                    >
                    > In Service,
                    > HL James Wolfden

                  • John edgerton
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                      Thank you. Most interesting.

                      Jon

                      On Jan 13, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Tyr vonWolfsberg wrote:

                      > Outlands
                      >
                      > Position: Royal Archer
                      > Term: One Year
                      > Chosen on the Sunday of the Memorial Day weekend events
                      > Duties: Member of the royal retinue(s) and serves as the ceremonial
                      > archery rep among the martial arts.
                      >
                      > The winner of the Royal Archer competition is the high scorer of a
                      > competition shot at 2 different large events at the same time. One
                      > site is in the south at Grand Outlandish (Barony of al-Barran event),
                      > the other is in the north at Crossroads (Canton of Hawks Hollow
                      > event). After the shoots are over at around 11 am, the 2 sites confer
                      > by phone and a single winner is announced at both events.
                      >
                      > YIS,
                      > Tyr

                    • John edgerton
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 13, 2007
                        Thank you. I am curious. What is this "... an arrow to be shot on
                        command."?

                        Jon

                        On Jan 13, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Eileen Procter wrote:

                        > In the kingdom of Lochac we have the Royal Archer chosen at the
                        > discretion
                        > of his Majesty. Besides a position in court, the royal archer has
                        > an arrow
                        > to be shot on command. The archer can be either combat, target or
                        > both and
                        > not necessarily one of renown. If the archer is a combat archer
                        > then they
                        > fight for the King at wars.
                        > Sabine

                      • Frederick Fenters
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                          To the Group at Large and especially to Sir Jon, Greetings and humble
                          respect from Forester Padraig MacRaighne.

                          I have been following the postings about Kingdom Archer Champions with great
                          interest and finally decided to donate my own two pence. Nigel did a good
                          job explaining what the Midrealm Crown does to select Champions. What he
                          did not mention is that Their Majesties often look to the Greenwood Company
                          for proven leaders and marksmen to serve in the role.

                          When Pietr Van Dorn and his lady Nan Astrid sat on the Dragon (Midrealm)
                          Thrones, they chose a Champion from each region of the realm. This allowed
                          them to recognize several people and potential "punishment" of traveling all
                          over the then much larger than now Middle Kingdom. (When Northshield became
                          a Kingdom in its own right, a large chunk of geography west of the
                          Mississippi went with it, easing the travel required of Midrealm Crowns.

                          In my home Barony of Northwoods, we also have Champions for the various
                          martial disciplines. At the traditional event, Squires' Revolt, Their
                          Excellencies observe the people participating in the various lists
                          throughout the day. They usually also ask advice of those who are running
                          the Lists to advise them of candidates for the next Champion. As with the
                          Kingdom Champions, this does not necessarily go to the highest scorer, but
                          rather to the person Their Excellencies feel shows appropriate Chivalry on
                          the field and can be counted to represent the Barony well in Their
                          Excellencies' eyes. The term is generally a year, but there have been
                          exceptions.

                          One of the things we do that is a rather nice remembrance: The Baronial
                          Archer Champion bears a quiver with the Baronial arms emblazoned on it. As
                          each Champion or Archer Captain (rallys the Baronial Archers at large
                          events) steps down, he or she leaves one of their arrows in the quiver as a
                          reminder that he/she has served in one of the roles. At present, I have the
                          honor of being the only person with two arrows in the quiver, one as
                          Captain, and one as Champion. Some day, I am sure that will change, but for
                          now, it allows me a small thing of which to be proud.

                          I hope that this is not too great of a digression from your original
                          question.

                          Padraig

                        • GARY HENDERSON
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                            In Northshield there is no champions unless their majesties request them. We are young and home to remedy that soon. Unfortunately during our formation archery, thrown weapons and siege weapons got tossed into one group and sadly set aside. We are beginning to carve a niche but not with much support.
                            Gwyn

                          • Eileen Procter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                              Greetings Jon,
                              The rationale is that the arrow is to be shot at a target as directed by the
                              King. The arrow is a target arrow and it has never been used but it is an
                              implied threat.
                              Sabine

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                                Thank you. This was most helpful.

                                Jon

                                On Jan 14, 2007, at 7:05 AM, Frederick Fenters wrote:

                                > To the Group at Large and especially to Sir Jon, Greetings and humble
                                > respect from Forester Padraig MacRaighne.
                                >
                                > I have been following the postings about Kingdom Archer Champions
                                > with great
                                > interest and finally decided to donate my own two pence. Nigel did
                                > a good
                                > job explaining what the Midrealm Crown does to select Champions.
                                > What he
                                > did not mention is that Their Majesties often look to the Greenwood
                                > Company
                                > for proven leaders and marksmen to serve in the role.
                                >
                                > When Pietr Van Dorn and his lady Nan Astrid sat on the Dragon
                                > (Midrealm)
                                > Thrones, they chose a Champion from each region of the realm. This
                                > allowed
                                > them to recognize several people and potential "punishment" of
                                > traveling all
                                > over the then much larger than now Middle Kingdom. (When
                                > Northshield became
                                > a Kingdom in its own right, a large chunk of geography west of the
                                > Mississippi went with it, easing the travel required of Midrealm
                                > Crowns.
                                >
                                > In my home Barony of Northwoods, we also have Champions for the
                                > various
                                > martial disciplines. At the traditional event, Squires' Revolt, Their
                                > Excellencies observe the people participating in the various lists
                                > throughout the day. They usually also ask advice of those who are
                                > running
                                > the Lists to advise them of candidates for the next Champion. As
                                > with the
                                > Kingdom Champions, this does not necessarily go to the highest
                                > scorer, but
                                > rather to the person Their Excellencies feel shows appropriate
                                > Chivalry on
                                > the field and can be counted to represent the Barony well in Their
                                > Excellencies' eyes. The term is generally a year, but there have been
                                > exceptions.
                                >
                                > One of the things we do that is a rather nice remembrance: The
                                > Baronial
                                > Archer Champion bears a quiver with the Baronial arms emblazoned on
                                > it. As
                                > each Champion or Archer Captain (rallys the Baronial Archers at large
                                > events) steps down, he or she leaves one of their arrows in the
                                > quiver as a
                                > reminder that he/she has served in one of the roles. At present, I
                                > have the
                                > honor of being the only person with two arrows in the quiver, one as
                                > Captain, and one as Champion. Some day, I am sure that will change,
                                > but for
                                > now, it allows me a small thing of which to be proud.
                                >
                                > I hope that this is not too great of a digression from your original
                                > question.
                                >
                                > Padraig

                              • John edgerton
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                                  Thank you. Keep carving. It takes time.

                                  Jon

                                  On Jan 14, 2007, at 11:58 AM, GARY HENDERSON wrote:

                                  > In Northshield there is no champions unless their majesties request
                                  > them. We are young and home to remedy that soon. Unfortunately
                                  > during our formation archery, thrown weapons and siege weapons got
                                  > tossed into one group and sadly set aside. We are beginning to
                                  > carve a niche but not with much support.
                                  > Gwyn

                                • John edgerton
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                                    Ah ... I thought it might be something like that.

                                    Jon

                                    On Jan 14, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Eileen Procter wrote:

                                    > Greetings Jon,
                                    > The rationale is that the arrow is to be shot at a target as
                                    > directed by the
                                    > King. The arrow is a target arrow and it has never been used but it
                                    > is an
                                    > implied threat.
                                    > Sabine
                                    >
                                    > >From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
                                    > >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                    > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Champions?
                                    > >Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:11:42 -0800
                                    > >
                                    > >Thank you. I am curious. What is this "... an arrow to be shot on
                                    > >command."?
                                    > >
                                    > >Jon

                                  • logantheboweyder
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 16, 2007
                                      There are no duties.

                                      The Boga Fyrd have a shoot at Lillies War, where the winner is the
                                      Captain for the year, and has administrative duties to the Crown and
                                      the order. The Boga Husecarls generally have their newest member do
                                      such duties. The duties include ensuring that the order's banner is
                                      at any war that the Calon Army is called and a member attends,
                                      taking notes at order meetings, calling meetings, and running
                                      meetings if the Crown so chooses or is unable to attend, and
                                      organizing anything else that the order or Crown sees necessary.
                                      The Fyrd captain also runs the next year's shoot.

                                      I hope this helps.

                                      Logan the Boweyder, Boga Fyrd, Calontir

                                      wrote:

                                      > Excellent. Thank you for the information. Do they have any
                                      duties?

                                      > Jon
                                    • Siegfried
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 26, 2007
                                        In Atlantia we have a 'roughly-yearly' tournament to determine the
                                        Kingdom Archery Champion.

                                        It is an entire day of shooting, typically multiple rounds, and we've
                                        had over 125 archers competiting in the past.

                                        The winner gets some various bits of regalia that have been gathered
                                        over time, and has 1 requirement ... That they run the next's years
                                        tournament.

                                        Siegfried