Re: Greetings, and a question

  • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007

      > Rhisiart,
      > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
      definitely
      > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
      > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
      > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
      > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
      > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
      > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
      > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
      > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
      period
      > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
      > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
      >
      > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
      > Carolus

      Carolus,

      Thanks for the response.

      As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
      Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
      1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

      As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
      Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
      require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
      undergo.

      Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
      bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
      SCA rules". Hence the initial question.

      Once again, my thanks.

      In Service,
      -Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
      "Sursum ad Summum"

      "Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
        I don't actually have documentation on the cord backed and multi limbed
        bows. I made the thing years ago when the original hickory prod didn't
        have enough cast. It didn't work, so I scrapped it. I believe I got the
        design from an article about an arctic hand bow in an issue of Primitive
        Traditional Bowhunter Archer. If memory serves, I once read about Roman
        Empire bows made of two or more stacked limbs like a leaf spring. I also
        made one of those based entirely on my own design. Again, I have no
        documentation.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

        > At 10:35 AM 1/5/2007, you wrote:

        >--- In <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
        >Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Rhisiart,
        > > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
        >definitely
        > > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
        > > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
        > > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
        > > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
        > > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
        > > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
        > > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
        > > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
        >period
        > > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
        > > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
        > >
        > > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
        > > Carolus
        > >

        >Carolus,
        >
        >Thanks for the response.
        >
        >As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
        >Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
        >1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.
        >
        >As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
        >Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
        >require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
        >undergo.
        >
        >Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
        >bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
        >SCA rules". Hence the initial question.
        >
        >Once again, my thanks.
        >
        >In Service,
        >-Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
        >"Sursum ad Summum"
        >
        >"Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales

      • ICE TIGER
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
          Just for the record "Primitive Archer" and "Traditional Bowhunter" are two different publications so don't go looking for Primitive Traditional Bowhunter Archer magazine at a newsstand near you.
          Dalton