Re: Greetings, and a question

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
      I'd be very interested in hearing Mistress Lynette's opinion, as well;
      if she has a favorable opinion, I might rig one up for Lillies War
      this summer.

      I'd be inclined to include it as SCA appropriate; my understanding is
      that the oldest one currently aged dates to the early 1600's, and it
      wasn't developed overnight, nor is it reasonable to assume that it was
      the first one ever made. I would also be inclined to say that it is
      inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
      compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. If you
      look at the definition of compound, it clearly is a "compound" bow,
      but probably not a "compound bow". Is that clear?

      Logan

    • atruemark@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
        Greetings. Without getting bogged down in definitions of "compound" bow vs
        "compound bow," I would like to address the statement that the Penobscot bow
        would be inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
        compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. As compared to
        what? Has there been a study done to see what its design produces compared to
        a Persian, Korean or Chinese bow? Any of the multi-laminate, eared bows can
        be said to have mechanics that significantly alter the force-draw curve...if
        compared to an ELB.

        I'm not trying to be argumentative or nit-picky...this is an honest question
        designed to stimulate discussion.

        Regards,

        Andras Truemark

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
          At 02:40 PM 1/4/2007, atruemark@... wrote:

          >Greetings. Without getting bogged down in definitions of "compound" bow vs
          >"compound bow," I would like to address the statement that the Penobscot bow
          >would be inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
          >compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. As compared to
          >what? Has there been a study done to see what its design produces compared to
          >a Persian, Korean or Chinese bow? Any of the multi-laminate, eared bows can
          >be said to have mechanics that significantly alter the force-draw curve...if
          >compared to an ELB.
          >
          >I'm not trying to be argumentative or nit-picky...this is an honest question
          >designed to stimulate discussion.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Andras Truemark
          I agree with Andras on this one. The author of this original statement was
          obviously not aware of the fact that numerous methods of gaining a
          mechanical advantage in archery have been in use way before the modern
          compound bow was introduced. Even the recurves introduced in the 1920s
          were a step in that direction. In any case, the Penobscot bow is not a
          compound according to the intent of the SCA archery rules. A modern
          compound bow has pulleys. Of course people familiar with traditional
          crossbows are aware that examples of compound crossbow prods with pulleys
          survive from at least a couple centuries ago. I haven't yet been able to
          document them from before the early 19th century, but am still looking. As
          I understand it, the Penobscot type bow was also used in Northern Europe by
          the Lapps and some Scandinavian peoples well within the SCA period. I
          actually shot a crossbow with such a wooden prod at Pennsic about 6 or 7
          years ago. At the time it was considered a medieval European technology.

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
        • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007

            > I was the society deputy marshal for target archery at the time of
            > the last rewrite of the rules. I knew of the Penobscot bow and
            did
            > not consider it to be a compound bow. But, I believe that it was
            > developed after 1600. Our current society target archery marshal
            > would be the one to make a final judgement on that,
            >
            > Jon

            Thanks to all you for the responses.

            I figured that the "1600 AD" timeframe would be a major hurdle, if
            not an unachievable obstacle, for this bow. According to Wikipedia,
            for what it is worth, it states that the first European settlement in
            Maine was a French settlement in 1604, and suggests that Samuel de
            Champlain was at that settlement. Here is the link for that...

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine#History

            However, Maine's own website states that the first settlement was at
            Popham in 1607. This same page also states that Leif Ericsson "may
            have tried to establish a settlement (in Maine)". Here is the link to
            that part of Maine's history section...

            http://www.maine.gov/legis/senate/statehouse/history/hstry2.htm

            I am really more interested in knowing whether the Penobscot bow
            would qualify under the SCA standards vis-a-vis the compound bow ban.

            I'm not quite sure how the "draw weight issue" would matter with this
            bow since one can order it at various draw weights, unless there is
            an issue about having a bow draw at "x" weight while the force
            required to pull it is equivalent to "x-y" weight. Basically, I'm not
            sure why a 100# draw Penobscot bow is an issue if a 100# draw Longbow
            is not an issue, unless it is the "x-y" differential I just mentioned.

            Once again, I thank you for your responses.

            In Service,
            -Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
            "Sursum ad Summum"

            "Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales
          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
              A while back I was researching some information about different
              types of bows and penobscot bow came up. One of the things that I
              came across put forth the idea that this bow is actually a
              relatively modern bow designed as a gimmick for a travelling wild
              west show.

              The picture of Indian shown on Penobscot museum page is Chief Big
              Thunder, aka Frank Loring. Loring (1821? - 1905) worked for the
              circus and with travelling wild west shows. The Chief was a self-
              imposed title probably to give him provenance during his shows. He
              opened a museum latter on in life. Loring was a great storyteller
              and very popular with news reporters looking for stories involving
              scalping. However, there is some indication that most of what he was
              doing was showmanship and that the Penobscot bow (and a history of
              its use among the Penobscot Nation) was invented by him as part of
              his show. The earliest photograph I have seen of a Penobscot bow is
              from around 1840 which still puts it during Big Thunder's life. I am
              not aware of any earlier date (that can be proven) but, of course,
              it is still possible that the bow was actually part of the Penobscot
              culture and Loring was just using it as part of his show because of
              it was unusual.

              One issue I always had with this bow was why it would be developed.
              It might be a useful design where there was not good bow wood but
              the Penobscot lived in an area of good bow wood and we don't find
              any evidence of it among their enemies and neighbours.

              I haven't tried to make one but have discussed it with those that
              have. While it works, it does not appear to be as efficient as one
              would like and you could just build a heavier bow. i.e. You could
              combine a 20 pound bow and 30 pound bow and get a 50 pound bow but
              it would not cast an arrow as efficiently as just making a 50 pound
              bow in the first place. Nor does it have the letoff that we
              associate with modern compounds. It will still feel like you are
              pulling a 50 pound bow. So while it may fail the pre-17th century
              requirement, I don't think this bow really gives an advantage except
              to get heavier drawweights with inferior bow wood.

              James Wolfden
            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                My research was just looking at the penobscot. Do you have any
                documentation about the Lapps and Scandinavian bows? I am aware of
                the cable backed bows but I haven't seen anything like the penobscot
                bow.

                James

                > As
                > I understand it, the Penobscot type bow was also used in Northern
                Europe by
                > the Lapps and some Scandinavian peoples well within the SCA
                period. I
                > actually shot a crossbow with such a wooden prod at Pennsic about
                6 or 7
                > years ago. At the time it was considered a medieval European
                technology.

                > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

              • Carolus
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                  Rhisiart,
                  There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most definitely
                  not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                  Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                  European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                  definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                  rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                  question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                  photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                  differences. I also note that there were several designs from period
                  in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                  hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.

                  As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                  Carolus

                  At 07:31 AM 1/4/2007, you wrote:

                  >Hail and well met,
                  >
                  >I recently joined this group. I have a question about a bow that a
                  >friend and fellow archer pointed out that intrigued me. I apologize
                  >in advance for including links in this message.
                  >
                  >The link to the bow in question is here...
                  >
                  ><http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html>http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html
                  >
                  >snip
                  ><http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana>http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana'wahb'skk'eighistory.htm
                  >
                  >So, how does this bow fit in with Section 1.2.1 C(1) of the SCA's
                  >Target Archery Handbook, which states the following, "No compound
                  >bows are allowed in competition. There will be no exceptions to this
                  >prohibition." Does this bow qualify under the SCA rules?
                  >
                  >I know that this bow skirts with the SCA's timeframe of no later than
                  >1600 AD, but I am more interested in whether this is would qualify
                  >under the Target Archery rules.
                  >
                  >I thank you in advance for your responses.
                  >
                  >In Service,
                  >-Rhisiart ap Llywelyn
                  >"Sursum ad Summum"

                • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                    At worst it would shoot against the $400 used Hoyt's in the open class. If it fits into a period class is the real question.

                    James Cunningham
                    Playing Devils Advocate

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I haven't tried to make one but have discussed it with those that
                      > have. While it works, it does not appear to be as efficient as one
                      > would like and you could just build a heavier bow. i.e. You could
                      > combine a 20 pound bow and 30 pound bow and get a 50 pound bow but
                      > it would not cast an arrow as efficiently as just making a 50 pound
                      > bow in the first place. Nor does it have the letoff that we
                      > associate with modern compounds. It will still feel like you are
                      > pulling a 50 pound bow. So while it may fail the pre-17th century
                      > requirement, I don't think this bow really gives an advantage except
                      > to get heavier drawweights with inferior bow wood.
                      >
                      > James Wolfden

                      My understanding is that the Penobscott has an complex force-draw
                      curve, caused by 2 different bows being put under stress.

                      The belly bow acts as a traditional bow, with it's force-draw curve
                      working as an ideal spring at short draws, and starts to get steeper
                      as it starts to stack.

                      The back-bow is shorter, and acts in a fundamentally different manner.
                      When the entire bow is at brace-height, and first starts to be drawn,
                      the back strings pull on the back-bow, and much force goes into
                      attempting to stretch the bow, while only a little goes into trying to
                      bend it. Thus, the back bow is "stacked" at initial draw, and the
                      force required to bend it is high. As the bow is drawn further, the
                      angle between the back-strings and the back-bow increases, and the
                      back-bow becomes less stacked, and is bent easier. Thus, the back-bow
                      acts like a heavy bow at short draw lengths, and a light one at longer
                      lengths.

                      The sum of these two curves is what we feel when a penobscot is drawn,
                      and if properly set up the force-draw curve can be altered
                      significantly, getting the early draw of what might be on a 60 lb bow,
                      but the curve tapers off so that the final weight might only be 45
                      lbs. Much like what is seen in a recurve F/D curve.

                      Yay physics!

                      Logan
                    • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007

                        > Rhisiart,
                        > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
                        definitely
                        > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                        > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                        > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                        > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                        > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                        > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                        > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                        > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
                        period
                        > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                        > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
                        >
                        > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                        > Carolus

                        Carolus,

                        Thanks for the response.

                        As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
                        Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
                        1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

                        As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
                        Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
                        require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
                        undergo.

                        Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
                        bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
                        SCA rules". Hence the initial question.

                        Once again, my thanks.

                        In Service,

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                          I don't actually have documentation on the cord backed and multi limbed
                          bows. I made the thing years ago when the original hickory prod didn't
                          have enough cast. It didn't work, so I scrapped it. I believe I got the
                          design from an article about an arctic hand bow in an issue of Primitive
                          Traditional Bowhunter Archer. If memory serves, I once read about Roman
                          Empire bows made of two or more stacked limbs like a leaf spring. I also
                          made one of those based entirely on my own design. Again, I have no
                          documentation.

                          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                          > At 10:35 AM 1/5/2007, you wrote:

                          >--- In <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
                          >Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Rhisiart,
                          > > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
                          >definitely
                          > > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                          > > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                          > > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                          > > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                          > > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                          > > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                          > > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                          > > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
                          >period
                          > > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                          > > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
                          > >
                          > > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                          > > Carolus
                          > >

                          >Carolus,
                          >
                          >Thanks for the response.
                          >
                          >As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
                          >Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
                          >1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.
                          >
                          >As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
                          >Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
                          >require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
                          >undergo.
                          >
                          >Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
                          >bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
                          >SCA rules". Hence the initial question.
                          >
                          >Once again, my thanks.
                          >
                          >In Service,
                          >-Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
                          >"Sursum ad Summum"
                          >
                          >"Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales

                        • ICE TIGER
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                            Just for the record "Primitive Archer" and "Traditional Bowhunter" are two different publications so don't go looking for Primitive Traditional Bowhunter Archer magazine at a newsstand near you.
                            Dalton