Greetings, and a question

  • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hail and well met,

      I recently joined this group. I have a question about a bow that a
      friend and fellow archer pointed out that intrigued me. I apologize
      in advance for including links in this message.

      The link to the bow in question is here...

      http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html

      Here is the text that is on this webpage...

      "The Penobscot Indian bow named after the ingenious Penobscot Indians
      of the eastern woodlands. This Marvelous bow was one of the most
      versatile bows ever made and may have very well been one of the first
      compound designs ever built.. . The bow is stable and and can be
      adjusted to a higher draw weight by tightening the back strings. The
      back bow and strings help reduce string follow adding speed. This bow
      also sports lower handshock as well as accuracy. One other feature is
      that being able to adjust the draw weight helps match the spine of
      your arrows to the bow.. Just simply twisting the back strings will
      increase and decrease the draw weight. 68"-72" tip to tip depending
      on draw length.Pyramid main bow which also adds to speed . This is an
      excellent bow with a super sweet draw !"

      Here is a "deep link" into the Penobscot Nation webpage, which is
      about their history. There is a photo on this page of a Penobscot
      with a version of the bow in question...

      http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana'wahb'skk'eighistory.htm

      So, how does this bow fit in with Section 1.2.1 C(1) of the SCA's
      Target Archery Handbook, which states the following, "No compound
      bows are allowed in competition. There will be no exceptions to this
      prohibition." Does this bow qualify under the SCA rules?

      I know that this bow skirts with the SCA's timeframe of no later than
      1600 AD, but I am more interested in whether this is would qualify
      under the Target Archery rules.

      I thank you in advance for your responses.

      In Service,
      -Rhisiart ap Llywelyn
      "Sursum ad Summum"

      "Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales
    • John edgerton
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
        I was the society deputy marshal for target archery at the time of
        the last rewrite of the rules. I knew of the Penobscot bow and did
        not consider it to be a compound bow. But, I believe that it was
        developed after 1600. Our current society target archery marshal
        would be the one to make a final judgement on that,

        Jon
        On Jan 4, 2007, at 7:31 AM, Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd wrote:

        > Hail and well met,
        >
        > I recently joined this group. I have a question about a bow that a
        > friend and fellow archer pointed out that intrigued me. I apologize
        > in advance for including links in this message.
        >
        > The link to the bow in question is here...
        >
        > http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html
        >
        > Here is the text that is on this webpage...
        >
        > "The Penobscot Indian bow named after the ingenious Penobscot Indians
        > of the eastern woodlands. This Marvelous bow was one of the most
        > versatile bows ever made and may have very well been one of the first
        > compound designs ever built.. . The bow is stable and and can be
        > adjusted to a higher draw weight by tightening the back strings. The
        > back bow and strings help reduce string follow adding speed. This bow
        > also sports lower handshock as well as accuracy. One other feature is
        > that being able to adjust the draw weight helps match the spine of
        > your arrows to the bow.. Just simply twisting the back strings will
        > increase and decrease the draw weight. 68"-72" tip to tip depending
        > on draw length.Pyramid main bow which also adds to speed . This is an
        > excellent bow with a super sweet draw !"
        >
        > Here is a "deep link" into the Penobscot Nation webpage, which is
        > about their history. There is a photo on this page of a Penobscot
        > with a version of the bow in question...
        >
        > http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana'wahb'skk'eighistory.htm
        >
        > So, how does this bow fit in with Section 1.2.1 C(1) of the SCA's
        > Target Archery Handbook, which states the following, "No compound
        > bows are allowed in competition. There will be no exceptions to this
        > prohibition." Does this bow qualify under the SCA rules?
        >
        > I know that this bow skirts with the SCA's timeframe of no later than
        > 1600 AD, but I am more interested in whether this is would qualify
        > under the Target Archery rules.
        >
        > I thank you in advance for your responses.
        >
        > In Service,
        > -Rhisiart ap Llywelyn
        > "Sursum ad Summum"
        >
        > "Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales

      • logantheboweyder
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
          I'd be very interested in hearing Mistress Lynette's opinion, as well;
          if she has a favorable opinion, I might rig one up for Lillies War
          this summer.

          I'd be inclined to include it as SCA appropriate; my understanding is
          that the oldest one currently aged dates to the early 1600's, and it
          wasn't developed overnight, nor is it reasonable to assume that it was
          the first one ever made. I would also be inclined to say that it is
          inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
          compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. If you
          look at the definition of compound, it clearly is a "compound" bow,
          but probably not a "compound bow". Is that clear?

          Logan

        • atruemark@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
            Greetings. Without getting bogged down in definitions of "compound" bow vs
            "compound bow," I would like to address the statement that the Penobscot bow
            would be inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
            compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. As compared to
            what? Has there been a study done to see what its design produces compared to
            a Persian, Korean or Chinese bow? Any of the multi-laminate, eared bows can
            be said to have mechanics that significantly alter the force-draw curve...if
            compared to an ELB.

            I'm not trying to be argumentative or nit-picky...this is an honest question
            designed to stimulate discussion.

            Regards,

            Andras Truemark

          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
              At 02:40 PM 1/4/2007, atruemark@... wrote:

              >Greetings. Without getting bogged down in definitions of "compound" bow vs
              >"compound bow," I would like to address the statement that the Penobscot bow
              >would be inappropriate for the SCA shooting line as the system acts like a
              >compound bow by significantly altering the force-draw curve. As compared to
              >what? Has there been a study done to see what its design produces compared to
              >a Persian, Korean or Chinese bow? Any of the multi-laminate, eared bows can
              >be said to have mechanics that significantly alter the force-draw curve...if
              >compared to an ELB.
              >
              >I'm not trying to be argumentative or nit-picky...this is an honest question
              >designed to stimulate discussion.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Andras Truemark
              I agree with Andras on this one. The author of this original statement was
              obviously not aware of the fact that numerous methods of gaining a
              mechanical advantage in archery have been in use way before the modern
              compound bow was introduced. Even the recurves introduced in the 1920s
              were a step in that direction. In any case, the Penobscot bow is not a
              compound according to the intent of the SCA archery rules. A modern
              compound bow has pulleys. Of course people familiar with traditional
              crossbows are aware that examples of compound crossbow prods with pulleys
              survive from at least a couple centuries ago. I haven't yet been able to
              document them from before the early 19th century, but am still looking. As
              I understand it, the Penobscot type bow was also used in Northern Europe by
              the Lapps and some Scandinavian peoples well within the SCA period. I
              actually shot a crossbow with such a wooden prod at Pennsic about 6 or 7
              years ago. At the time it was considered a medieval European technology.

              Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
            • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007

                > I was the society deputy marshal for target archery at the time of
                > the last rewrite of the rules. I knew of the Penobscot bow and
                did
                > not consider it to be a compound bow. But, I believe that it was
                > developed after 1600. Our current society target archery marshal
                > would be the one to make a final judgement on that,
                >
                > Jon

                Thanks to all you for the responses.

                I figured that the "1600 AD" timeframe would be a major hurdle, if
                not an unachievable obstacle, for this bow. According to Wikipedia,
                for what it is worth, it states that the first European settlement in
                Maine was a French settlement in 1604, and suggests that Samuel de
                Champlain was at that settlement. Here is the link for that...

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine#History

                However, Maine's own website states that the first settlement was at
                Popham in 1607. This same page also states that Leif Ericsson "may
                have tried to establish a settlement (in Maine)". Here is the link to
                that part of Maine's history section...

                http://www.maine.gov/legis/senate/statehouse/history/hstry2.htm

                I am really more interested in knowing whether the Penobscot bow
                would qualify under the SCA standards vis-a-vis the compound bow ban.

                I'm not quite sure how the "draw weight issue" would matter with this
                bow since one can order it at various draw weights, unless there is
                an issue about having a bow draw at "x" weight while the force
                required to pull it is equivalent to "x-y" weight. Basically, I'm not
                sure why a 100# draw Penobscot bow is an issue if a 100# draw Longbow
                is not an issue, unless it is the "x-y" differential I just mentioned.

                Once again, I thank you for your responses.

                In Service,
                -Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
                "Sursum ad Summum"

                "Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales
              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                  A while back I was researching some information about different
                  types of bows and penobscot bow came up. One of the things that I
                  came across put forth the idea that this bow is actually a
                  relatively modern bow designed as a gimmick for a travelling wild
                  west show.

                  The picture of Indian shown on Penobscot museum page is Chief Big
                  Thunder, aka Frank Loring. Loring (1821? - 1905) worked for the
                  circus and with travelling wild west shows. The Chief was a self-
                  imposed title probably to give him provenance during his shows. He
                  opened a museum latter on in life. Loring was a great storyteller
                  and very popular with news reporters looking for stories involving
                  scalping. However, there is some indication that most of what he was
                  doing was showmanship and that the Penobscot bow (and a history of
                  its use among the Penobscot Nation) was invented by him as part of
                  his show. The earliest photograph I have seen of a Penobscot bow is
                  from around 1840 which still puts it during Big Thunder's life. I am
                  not aware of any earlier date (that can be proven) but, of course,
                  it is still possible that the bow was actually part of the Penobscot
                  culture and Loring was just using it as part of his show because of
                  it was unusual.

                  One issue I always had with this bow was why it would be developed.
                  It might be a useful design where there was not good bow wood but
                  the Penobscot lived in an area of good bow wood and we don't find
                  any evidence of it among their enemies and neighbours.

                  I haven't tried to make one but have discussed it with those that
                  have. While it works, it does not appear to be as efficient as one
                  would like and you could just build a heavier bow. i.e. You could
                  combine a 20 pound bow and 30 pound bow and get a 50 pound bow but
                  it would not cast an arrow as efficiently as just making a 50 pound
                  bow in the first place. Nor does it have the letoff that we
                  associate with modern compounds. It will still feel like you are
                  pulling a 50 pound bow. So while it may fail the pre-17th century
                  requirement, I don't think this bow really gives an advantage except
                  to get heavier drawweights with inferior bow wood.

                  James Wolfden
                • jameswolfden
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                    My research was just looking at the penobscot. Do you have any
                    documentation about the Lapps and Scandinavian bows? I am aware of
                    the cable backed bows but I haven't seen anything like the penobscot
                    bow.

                    James

                    > As
                    > I understand it, the Penobscot type bow was also used in Northern
                    Europe by
                    > the Lapps and some Scandinavian peoples well within the SCA
                    period. I
                    > actually shot a crossbow with such a wooden prod at Pennsic about
                    6 or 7
                    > years ago. At the time it was considered a medieval European
                    technology.

                    > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                  • Carolus
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                      Rhisiart,
                      There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most definitely
                      not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                      Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                      European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                      definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                      rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                      question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                      photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                      differences. I also note that there were several designs from period
                      in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                      hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.

                      As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                      Carolus

                      At 07:31 AM 1/4/2007, you wrote:

                      >Hail and well met,
                      >
                      >I recently joined this group. I have a question about a bow that a
                      >friend and fellow archer pointed out that intrigued me. I apologize
                      >in advance for including links in this message.
                      >
                      >The link to the bow in question is here...
                      >
                      ><http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html>http://rudderbows.com/penobscot.html
                      >
                      >snip
                      ><http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana>http://www.penobscotnation.org/museum/pana'wahb'skk'eighistory.htm
                      >
                      >So, how does this bow fit in with Section 1.2.1 C(1) of the SCA's
                      >Target Archery Handbook, which states the following, "No compound
                      >bows are allowed in competition. There will be no exceptions to this
                      >prohibition." Does this bow qualify under the SCA rules?
                      >
                      >I know that this bow skirts with the SCA's timeframe of no later than
                      >1600 AD, but I am more interested in whether this is would qualify
                      >under the Target Archery rules.
                      >
                      >I thank you in advance for your responses.
                      >
                      >In Service,
                      >-Rhisiart ap Llywelyn
                      >"Sursum ad Summum"

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2007
                        At worst it would shoot against the $400 used Hoyt's in the open class. If it fits into a period class is the real question.

                        James Cunningham
                        Playing Devils Advocate

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I haven't tried to make one but have discussed it with those that
                          > have. While it works, it does not appear to be as efficient as one
                          > would like and you could just build a heavier bow. i.e. You could
                          > combine a 20 pound bow and 30 pound bow and get a 50 pound bow but
                          > it would not cast an arrow as efficiently as just making a 50 pound
                          > bow in the first place. Nor does it have the letoff that we
                          > associate with modern compounds. It will still feel like you are
                          > pulling a 50 pound bow. So while it may fail the pre-17th century
                          > requirement, I don't think this bow really gives an advantage except
                          > to get heavier drawweights with inferior bow wood.
                          >
                          > James Wolfden

                          My understanding is that the Penobscott has an complex force-draw
                          curve, caused by 2 different bows being put under stress.

                          The belly bow acts as a traditional bow, with it's force-draw curve
                          working as an ideal spring at short draws, and starts to get steeper
                          as it starts to stack.

                          The back-bow is shorter, and acts in a fundamentally different manner.
                          When the entire bow is at brace-height, and first starts to be drawn,
                          the back strings pull on the back-bow, and much force goes into
                          attempting to stretch the bow, while only a little goes into trying to
                          bend it. Thus, the back bow is "stacked" at initial draw, and the
                          force required to bend it is high. As the bow is drawn further, the
                          angle between the back-strings and the back-bow increases, and the
                          back-bow becomes less stacked, and is bent easier. Thus, the back-bow
                          acts like a heavy bow at short draw lengths, and a light one at longer
                          lengths.

                          The sum of these two curves is what we feel when a penobscot is drawn,
                          and if properly set up the force-draw curve can be altered
                          significantly, getting the early draw of what might be on a 60 lb bow,
                          but the curve tapers off so that the final weight might only be 45
                          lbs. Much like what is seen in a recurve F/D curve.

                          Yay physics!

                          Logan
                        • Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007

                            > Rhisiart,
                            > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
                            definitely
                            > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                            > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                            > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                            > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                            > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                            > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                            > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                            > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
                            period
                            > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                            > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
                            >
                            > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                            > Carolus

                            Carolus,

                            Thanks for the response.

                            As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
                            Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
                            1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.

                            As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
                            Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
                            require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
                            undergo.

                            Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
                            bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
                            SCA rules". Hence the initial question.

                            Once again, my thanks.

                            In Service,

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                              I don't actually have documentation on the cord backed and multi limbed
                              bows. I made the thing years ago when the original hickory prod didn't
                              have enough cast. It didn't work, so I scrapped it. I believe I got the
                              design from an article about an arctic hand bow in an issue of Primitive
                              Traditional Bowhunter Archer. If memory serves, I once read about Roman
                              Empire bows made of two or more stacked limbs like a leaf spring. I also
                              made one of those based entirely on my own design. Again, I have no
                              documentation.

                              Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                              > At 10:35 AM 1/5/2007, you wrote:

                              >--- In <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
                              >Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Rhisiart,
                              > > There is no problem with this bow technically. It is most
                              >definitely
                              > > not what the SCA intended to ban in its compound rule. While the
                              > > Penobscot people were well established at the time of the first
                              > > European settlements in New England, and thus fit the period
                              > > definition used by the SCA, I have some questions about this
                              > > rendition of the bow. As mentioned in another post there is some
                              > > question as to the provenience of this bow. I also note that the
                              > > photo used as evidence for this design has several major
                              > > differences. I also note that there were several designs from
                              >period
                              > > in China which used this technology. For these reasons I would
                              > > hesitate to hold it up as a definite period bow style.
                              > >
                              > > As to whether it can be used in the SCA, I see no problem with it.
                              > > Carolus
                              > >

                              >Carolus,
                              >
                              >Thanks for the response.
                              >
                              >As was mentioned in an earlier, it is similar to the bow used by the
                              >Sami (Laplanders). I do recall seeing something about them during the
                              >1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer.
                              >
                              >As for being "period-worthy", that isn't much of an issue with me.
                              >Chances are I would not use it at an event since using it would
                              >require a massive persona change on my part that I am not willing to
                              >undergo.
                              >
                              >Basically, this was a case of me and a friend of mine looking at a
                              >bow and thinking, "Wow, that looks interesting, but is it within the
                              >SCA rules". Hence the initial question.
                              >
                              >Once again, my thanks.
                              >
                              >In Service,
                              >-Rhisiart ap Llywelyn ap Dafydd
                              >"Sursum ad Summum"
                              >
                              >"Do the little things"- St. David, patron saint of Wales

                            • ICE TIGER
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                                Just for the record "Primitive Archer" and "Traditional Bowhunter" are two different publications so don't go looking for Primitive Traditional Bowhunter Archer magazine at a newsstand near you.
                                Dalton