RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: xbow target

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
      I would still back it with plywood, shorter arrows (bolts) and 150# could
      prove too strong for bow targets as your fps will put most compound bows to
      shame.

      Domingos

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
        I have had good success stopping arrows from my own 150# crossbows using the
        "Humongo" target face. It is a box about 3 foot square and about 8 inches
        thick with multiple layers of closed cell foam of varying densities. At 20
        yards, it stops my 24 inch crossbow arrows at about 12 inches or so. I have
        never had a complete blow-through. I have been using one of these for about
        5 years now. I finally had to retire one of the two that I own . . . Not
        because the foam had died so much as the cardboard shell finally gave up the
        ghost and by the time I had built a new shell to put the pieces into, they
        had been claimed by the neighborhood cats as a urinal. Yuck!

        The other good commercial face is called the Black Hole. It is
        unfortunately pretty expensive. Layers of some kind of foam, laid out so
        you shoot at them edge-on. The manufacturer claims it will withstand
        shooting with broadhead arrows for a LONG time.

        Padraig MacRaighne