Re: [SCA-Archery] xbow target

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
      What weight bow will you be using? I would say 8-10 inches of
      corrugated cardboard on edge and well strapped would be better.
      Carolus

      At 09:35 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:

      >Back it with 3/4 plywood to prevent blow throughs, and use two layers of 3/4
      >plywood if you are going to shoot a full winter round at the same target.
      >
      >James Cunningham
      >
      >. 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
      >Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
      >Skyper Anders

    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
        My advice would be to go to a sporting goods store, and get a cheap
        bag-butt. I can usually find them for $20, and they are made to stop
        compounds.

        Logan

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

        > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
        stop would be
        > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
        in May (
        > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
        sutible
        > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
        lot of snow
        > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
        found, then
        > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
        here.
        > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
        > Skyper Anders

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
          I would still back it with plywood, shorter arrows (bolts) and 150# could
          prove too strong for bow targets as your fps will put most compound bows to
          shame.

          Domingos

          _____

          --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
          "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

          > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
          stop would be
          > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
          in May (
          > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
          sutible
          > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
          lot of snow
          > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
          found, then
          > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
          here.
          > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
          > Skyper Anders

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
            I have had good success stopping arrows from my own 150# crossbows using the
            "Humongo" target face. It is a box about 3 foot square and about 8 inches
            thick with multiple layers of closed cell foam of varying densities. At 20
            yards, it stops my 24 inch crossbow arrows at about 12 inches or so. I have
            never had a complete blow-through. I have been using one of these for about
            5 years now. I finally had to retire one of the two that I own . . . Not
            because the foam had died so much as the cardboard shell finally gave up the
            ghost and by the time I had built a new shell to put the pieces into, they
            had been claimed by the neighborhood cats as a urinal. Yuck!

            The other good commercial face is called the Black Hole. It is
            unfortunately pretty expensive. Layers of some kind of foam, laid out so
            you shoot at them edge-on. The manufacturer claims it will withstand
            shooting with broadhead arrows for a LONG time.

            Padraig MacRaighne