Re: [SCA-Archery] xbow target

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
      Back it with 3/4 plywood to prevent blow throughs, and use two layers of 3/4
      plywood if you are going to shoot a full winter round at the same target.

      James Cunningham

      . 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
      Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
      Skyper Anders
    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
        What weight bow will you be using? I would say 8-10 inches of
        corrugated cardboard on edge and well strapped would be better.
        Carolus

        At 09:35 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:

        >Back it with 3/4 plywood to prevent blow throughs, and use two layers of 3/4
        >plywood if you are going to shoot a full winter round at the same target.
        >
        >James Cunningham
        >
        >. 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
        >Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
        >Skyper Anders

      • logantheboweyder
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
          My advice would be to go to a sporting goods store, and get a cheap
          bag-butt. I can usually find them for $20, and they are made to stop
          compounds.

          Logan

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

          > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
          stop would be
          > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
          in May (
          > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
          sutible
          > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
          lot of snow
          > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
          found, then
          > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
          here.
          > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
          > Skyper Anders

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
            I would still back it with plywood, shorter arrows (bolts) and 150# could
            prove too strong for bow targets as your fps will put most compound bows to
            shame.

            Domingos

            _____

            --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
            "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

            > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
            stop would be
            > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
            in May (
            > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
            sutible
            > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
            lot of snow
            > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
            found, then
            > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
            here.
            > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
            > Skyper Anders

          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
              I have had good success stopping arrows from my own 150# crossbows using the
              "Humongo" target face. It is a box about 3 foot square and about 8 inches
              thick with multiple layers of closed cell foam of varying densities. At 20
              yards, it stops my 24 inch crossbow arrows at about 12 inches or so. I have
              never had a complete blow-through. I have been using one of these for about
              5 years now. I finally had to retire one of the two that I own . . . Not
              because the foam had died so much as the cardboard shell finally gave up the
              ghost and by the time I had built a new shell to put the pieces into, they
              had been claimed by the neighborhood cats as a urinal. Yuck!

              The other good commercial face is called the Black Hole. It is
              unfortunately pretty expensive. Layers of some kind of foam, laid out so
              you shoot at them edge-on. The manufacturer claims it will withstand
              shooting with broadhead arrows for a LONG time.

              Padraig MacRaighne