xbow target

  • Rob Andersen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
      Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back stop would be
      recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage in May (
      house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an sutible
      range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a lot of snow
      on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be found, then
      back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
      Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
      Skyper Anders
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
        Back it with 3/4 plywood to prevent blow throughs, and use two layers of 3/4
        plywood if you are going to shoot a full winter round at the same target.

        James Cunningham

        . 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
        Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
        Skyper Anders
      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2007
          What weight bow will you be using? I would say 8-10 inches of
          corrugated cardboard on edge and well strapped would be better.
          Carolus

          At 09:35 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:

          >Back it with 3/4 plywood to prevent blow throughs, and use two layers of 3/4
          >plywood if you are going to shoot a full winter round at the same target.
          >
          >James Cunningham
          >
          >. 20 yards is about all that I will get here.
          >Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
          >Skyper Anders

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
            My advice would be to go to a sporting goods store, and get a cheap
            bag-butt. I can usually find them for $20, and they are made to stop
            compounds.

            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

            > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
            stop would be
            > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
            in May (
            > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
            sutible
            > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
            lot of snow
            > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
            found, then
            > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
            here.
            > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
            > Skyper Anders

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
              I would still back it with plywood, shorter arrows (bolts) and 150# could
              prove too strong for bow targets as your fps will put most compound bows to
              shame.

              Domingos

              _____

              --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
              "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

              > Kris Kringle left a 150# xbow under the tree. How heavy a back
              stop would be
              > recommended. I don't want to wait until I move back to my acreage
              in May (
              > house was not completed before winter). I will be setting up an
              sutible
              > range there but I want to start training now. Because we have a
              lot of snow
              > on the ground, I plan to start close so that all bolts can be
              found, then
              > back up as quickly as I can. 20 yards is about all that I will get
              here.
              > Would 4-6 inches of cardboard be enough
              > Skyper Anders

            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2007
                I have had good success stopping arrows from my own 150# crossbows using the
                "Humongo" target face. It is a box about 3 foot square and about 8 inches
                thick with multiple layers of closed cell foam of varying densities. At 20
                yards, it stops my 24 inch crossbow arrows at about 12 inches or so. I have
                never had a complete blow-through. I have been using one of these for about
                5 years now. I finally had to retire one of the two that I own . . . Not
                because the foam had died so much as the cardboard shell finally gave up the
                ghost and by the time I had built a new shell to put the pieces into, they
                had been claimed by the neighborhood cats as a urinal. Yuck!

                The other good commercial face is called the Black Hole. It is
                unfortunately pretty expensive. Layers of some kind of foam, laid out so
                you shoot at them edge-on. The manufacturer claims it will withstand
                shooting with broadhead arrows for a LONG time.

                Padraig MacRaighne