Re: [SCA-Archery] Is this an archery butt?

  • Melissa Davis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
      looks like it could be one too me with the foam, but with the metal im not so sure.

      Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote: I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.

      Nest

      Robert Lauderdale <chidiock@...> wrote:
      http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,1439.0.html

      Chidiock

      Visit my website:
      www.goinuyashago.com

      Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

    • Robert Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
        My thinking was we are seeing it from the rear.

        Chidiock
        > looks like it could be one too me with the foam, but with the metal im not
        > so sure.
        >
        > Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote: I am guessing
        > it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very
        > painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also
        > has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like
        > it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.
        >
        > Nest

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale" <chidiock@...>
          wrote:
          > http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,1439.0.html
          > Chidiock
          To me it looks like a stack of oil absorbent pads.

          http://www.fentex.co.uk/info-ob100.html

          I have no idea why they would be pressing them outdoors, but maybe they
          have been cleaned and are out there to be dried. Possibly they have
          been used to clean a non-hazardous spill?
          -Hobbe
        • Fritz
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            When Nest verch Tangwistel put fingers to keys it was 1/3/07 12:03 AM...

            > I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would
            > make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess
            > the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern
            > art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some
            > paths in a public park.

            I concur wholeheartedly.
            The base says, "This is officially sculpture."
            The bends in the uprights and in the cross pieces are pretty clearly
            more about aesthetics than function.
            The 'bolt heads' are not conventional.
            The fact that the original image was _huge_ also suggests that it is
            Art. Were it a butt, a much smaller image would suffice as a record.

            The artist was dealing with crystalizing basic plastic organic unity and
            that whole thing.

            --
            Fritz
            Aut invenian viam aut faciam.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              1. Does that mean we can shoot it?
              2. Can we reject the artist's imposition of his disaffection with the
              organic plasticity and embrace our own vision of utilitarian
              utilization of the ambient practicality of the creation, and then
              shoot it?

              Logan the Boweyder
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

              > The artist was dealing with crystalizing basic plastic organic unity
              and
              > that whole thing.

            • Fritz
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                When logantheboweyder put fingers to keys it was 1/3/07 2:01 PM...

                > 1. Does that mean we can shoot it?
                > 2. Can we reject the artist's imposition of his disaffection with the
                > organic plasticity and embrace our own vision of utilitarian
                > utilization of the ambient practicality of the creation, and then
                > shoot it?

                You went to Art School too?

                --
                Fritz
                Aut invenian viam aut faciam.
              • John Rossignol
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:
                  > I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.

                  No, no. The layers are clearly copies of the "Times" -- which would
                  make it a Tardis.

                  ;-]

                  John