Is this an archery butt?

  • Robert Lauderdale
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
        I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.

        Nest

        Robert Lauderdale <chidiock@...> wrote:
        http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,1439.0.html

        Chidiock

      • Melissa Davis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
          looks like it could be one too me with the foam, but with the metal im not so sure.

          Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote: I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.

          Nest

          Robert Lauderdale <chidiock@...> wrote:
          http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,1439.0.html

          Chidiock

          Visit my website:
          www.goinuyashago.com

          Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

        • Robert Lauderdale
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
            My thinking was we are seeing it from the rear.

            Chidiock
            > looks like it could be one too me with the foam, but with the metal im not
            > so sure.
            >
            > Nest verch Tangwistel <eastarch@...> wrote: I am guessing
            > it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very
            > painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also
            > has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like
            > it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.
            >
            > Nest

          • Hobbe
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Lauderdale" <chidiock@...>
              wrote:
              > http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,1439.0.html
              > Chidiock
              To me it looks like a stack of oil absorbent pads.

              http://www.fentex.co.uk/info-ob100.html

              I have no idea why they would be pressing them outdoors, but maybe they
              have been cleaned and are out there to be dried. Possibly they have
              been used to clean a non-hazardous spill?
              -Hobbe
            • Fritz
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                When Nest verch Tangwistel put fingers to keys it was 1/3/07 12:03 AM...

                > I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would
                > make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess
                > the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern
                > art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some
                > paths in a public park.

                I concur wholeheartedly.
                The base says, "This is officially sculpture."
                The bends in the uprights and in the cross pieces are pretty clearly
                more about aesthetics than function.
                The 'bolt heads' are not conventional.
                The fact that the original image was _huge_ also suggests that it is
                Art. Were it a butt, a much smaller image would suffice as a record.

                The artist was dealing with crystalizing basic plastic organic unity and
                that whole thing.

                --
                Fritz
                Aut invenian viam aut faciam.
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                  1. Does that mean we can shoot it?
                  2. Can we reject the artist's imposition of his disaffection with the
                  organic plasticity and embrace our own vision of utilitarian
                  utilization of the ambient practicality of the creation, and then
                  shoot it?

                  Logan the Boweyder
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

                  > The artist was dealing with crystalizing basic plastic organic unity
                  and
                  > that whole thing.

                • Fritz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                    When logantheboweyder put fingers to keys it was 1/3/07 2:01 PM...

                    > 1. Does that mean we can shoot it?
                    > 2. Can we reject the artist's imposition of his disaffection with the
                    > organic plasticity and embrace our own vision of utilitarian
                    > utilization of the ambient practicality of the creation, and then
                    > shoot it?

                    You went to Art School too?

                    --
                    Fritz
                    Aut invenian viam aut faciam.
                  • John Rossignol
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Nest verch Tangwistel wrote:
                      > I am guessing it is not. The big metal bars holding it together would make it very painful to shoot at. The symetry of it makes me guess the other side also has the big metal bars. I am guessing at modern art. I kind of looks like it is placed at the intersection of some paths in a public park.

                      No, no. The layers are clearly copies of the "Times" -- which would
                      make it a Tardis.

                      ;-]

                      John