FW: [SCA-Archery] how to make a yumi

  • Luigi Kapaj
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2006
      > http://www.yumi-bows.com/yumi.html

      Dan,

      I would definitely second that you get in touch with Jaap of Yumi Bows. He
      is THE regional expert on the Yumi. From what I recall, he studies under the
      Imperial bowmaker to the Japanese Emperor. Hard to argue with his
      credentials. He also sets up shop at Pennsic, usually there for the second
      week only. Whether you want to buy or make one, you really should talk to
      him. He and his wife, Kay, are friendly and knowledgable.

      Puppy
      http://www.NYCMongol.com
    • Will Terada
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2006
        That would be a very good way to go to make one, but I would first go to a
        kyudo place first and check it out. It is not just a different bow, but
        also a different way of shooting. The fibreglass yumi is an inexpensive
        way to start but like all bows, varies in price and quality. Here is a good
        site to look : http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam-yumi.html

        It is a major undertaking to craft one. I wish you luck and patients on
        this endevore and to honour the art. Yes I am samurai decendent.

        --
        Willie P. Terada
        Est Sularus oth Mithas