Re: [SCA-Archery] how to make a yumi

  • blooney@wi.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
      http://www.yumi-bows.com/yumi.html

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Dan <cronofox1234@...>
      Date: Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:19 pm
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] how to make a yumi
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

    • blooney@wi.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
        I would venture a guess that a real yumi would cost considerably more
        than $75. Although I seem to recall that in Japan they are available
        in different grades. It takes a real master bowyer with many years
        experience, such as Jaap Koppedreyer - http://www.yumi-
        bows.com/yumi.html - to get it right. A single high grade yumi may
        take several years to make.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2006
          I have seen second-hand fiberglass yumis go for around $125 but they are probably twice
          that new. A bamboo yumi would be twice that again for a standard issue and start planning
          on laying down over a $1000. The Yukake shooting glove goes for another $200.

          Woodbows.com offers an asymmetrical bow that they refer to as a Yumi Style. Doesn't have
          the unique shape of Yumi but it is only $120.

          Jaap Koppedrayer has a video on making Yumi bows called "All Wrapped in Bow Making".

          I believe that there was also a japanese short bow, the hankyu, that may be more like the
          Asiatic recurve. I am not sure of its look.

          James Wolfden