Re: [SCA-Archery] how to make a yumi

  • Melissa Davis
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
      why not just buy one?

      Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
      i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
      how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
      persona...thats why i want it...
      thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...

      dan fox

      Visit my website:
      www.goinuyashago.com

      Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
        http://www.yumi-bows.com/yumi.html

        > i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
        > how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
        > persona...thats why i want it...
        > thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...
        >
        > dan fox

      • Dan Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
          Hate to agree with the above advice but a Yami is a whole new world when it comes to a bow not just taller.
          When stationed in Korea and Japan I saw a lot of Yamis but they are strange bows the bowlers who made them really knew what they were doing. You can buy on ebay for around 75 dollers or so. I made a Korean horse bow and made five before I got one that would hold./
          If you have the time be fun to make. Lows can get you the wood not indorcing Lows but I know theycan.
          Dan Martin
          blackwaterincorp@...

          Melissa Davis <tiel_lady3884@...> wrote:
          why not just buy one?

          Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
          i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
          how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
          persona...thats why i want it...
          thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...

          dan fox

          Visit my website:
          www.goinuyashago.com

          Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

          Dan Martin
          American Legion Of Oklahoma
          Post 911
          Commader
          Sons of the American Legion
          Squadren 911
          Commander
          AmVets 27
          Judge Advacate
          Past Commander
          AL911/AV27
          Office Manager
          AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
          blackwaterincorp@...
          If you can read than a Teacher
          If you can read english thank a Soldier
          A man can live about 40 days without
          Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
          Air, and one second without Hope.

        • Dan Martin

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
              I would venture a guess that a real yumi would cost considerably more
              than $75. Although I seem to recall that in Japan they are available
              in different grades. It takes a real master bowyer with many years
              experience, such as Jaap Koppedreyer - http://www.yumi-
              bows.com/yumi.html - to get it right. A single high grade yumi may
              take several years to make.

              > Hate to agree with the above advice but a Yami is a whole new
              > world when it comes to a bow not just taller.
              > When stationed in Korea and Japan I saw a lot of Yamis but they
              > are strange bows the bowlers who made them really knew what they
              > were doing. You can buy on ebay for around 75 dollers or so. I
              > made a Korean horse bow and made five before I got one that would
              > hold./ If you have the time be fun to make. Lows can get you the
              > wood not indorcing Lows but I know theycan.
              > Dan Martin
              > blackwaterincorp@...
              >
              > Melissa Davis <tiel_lady3884@...> wrote:
              > why not just buy one?
              >
              > Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
              > i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
              > how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
              > persona...thats why i want it...
              > thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...
              >
              > dan fox
              >
              > Visit my website:
              > www.goinuyashago.com
              >
              > Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

              > Dan Martin
              > American Legion Of Oklahoma
              > Post 911
              > Commader
              > Sons of the American Legion
              > Squadren 911
              > Commander
              > AmVets 27
              > Judge Advacate
              > Past Commander
              > AL911/AV27
              > Office Manager
              > AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
              > blackwaterincorp@...
              > If you can read than a Teacher
              > If you can read english thank a Soldier
              > A man can live about 40 days without
              > Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
              > Air, and one second without Hope.

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 18, 2006
                I have seen second-hand fiberglass yumis go for around $125 but they are probably twice
                that new. A bamboo yumi would be twice that again for a standard issue and start planning
                on laying down over a $1000. The Yukake shooting glove goes for another $200.

                Woodbows.com offers an asymmetrical bow that they refer to as a Yumi Style. Doesn't have
                the unique shape of Yumi but it is only $120.

                Jaap Koppedrayer has a video on making Yumi bows called "All Wrapped in Bow Making".

                I believe that there was also a japanese short bow, the hankyu, that may be more like the
                Asiatic recurve. I am not sure of its look.

                James Wolfden