how to make a yumi

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
      hello fellow sca citizens....
      i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
      how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
      persona...thats why i want it...
      thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...

      dan fox
    • Melissa Davis
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
        why not just buy one?

        Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
        i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
        how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
        persona...thats why i want it...
        thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...

        dan fox

        Visit my website:
        www.goinuyashago.com

        Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
          http://www.yumi-bows.com/yumi.html

          > i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
          > how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
          > persona...thats why i want it...
          > thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...
          >
          > dan fox

        • Dan Martin
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
            Hate to agree with the above advice but a Yami is a whole new world when it comes to a bow not just taller.
            When stationed in Korea and Japan I saw a lot of Yamis but they are strange bows the bowlers who made them really knew what they were doing. You can buy on ebay for around 75 dollers or so. I made a Korean horse bow and made five before I got one that would hold./
            If you have the time be fun to make. Lows can get you the wood not indorcing Lows but I know theycan.
            Dan Martin
            blackwaterincorp@...

            Melissa Davis <tiel_lady3884@...> wrote:
            why not just buy one?

            Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
            i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
            how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
            persona...thats why i want it...
            thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...

            dan fox

            Visit my website:
            www.goinuyashago.com

            Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

            Dan Martin
            American Legion Of Oklahoma
            Post 911
            Commader
            Sons of the American Legion
            Squadren 911
            Commander
            AmVets 27
            Judge Advacate
            Past Commander
            AL911/AV27
            Office Manager
            AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
            blackwaterincorp@...
            If you can read than a Teacher
            If you can read english thank a Soldier
            A man can live about 40 days without
            Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
            Air, and one second without Hope.

          • Dan Martin

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 17, 2006
                I would venture a guess that a real yumi would cost considerably more
                than $75. Although I seem to recall that in Japan they are available
                in different grades. It takes a real master bowyer with many years
                experience, such as Jaap Koppedreyer - http://www.yumi-
                bows.com/yumi.html - to get it right. A single high grade yumi may
                take several years to make.

                > Hate to agree with the above advice but a Yami is a whole new
                > world when it comes to a bow not just taller.
                > When stationed in Korea and Japan I saw a lot of Yamis but they
                > are strange bows the bowlers who made them really knew what they
                > were doing. You can buy on ebay for around 75 dollers or so. I
                > made a Korean horse bow and made five before I got one that would
                > hold./ If you have the time be fun to make. Lows can get you the
                > wood not indorcing Lows but I know theycan.
                > Dan Martin
                > blackwaterincorp@...
                >
                > Melissa Davis <tiel_lady3884@...> wrote:
                > why not just buy one?
                >
                > Dan <cronofox1234@...> wrote: hello fellow sca citizens....
                > i am interested in making a yumi bow....but dont know much about
                > how...would anyone be able to help me out....i have a samurai
                > persona...thats why i want it...
                > thnx alot...you can contact me at danfox_fender_crono@...
                >
                > dan fox
                >
                > Visit my website:
                > www.goinuyashago.com
                >
                > Love everyone, because God Loves everyone!

                > Dan Martin
                > American Legion Of Oklahoma
                > Post 911
                > Commader
                > Sons of the American Legion
                > Squadren 911
                > Commander
                > AmVets 27
                > Judge Advacate
                > Past Commander
                > AL911/AV27
                > Office Manager
                > AL911/AV Senior Senior Service Officer
                > blackwaterincorp@...
                > If you can read than a Teacher
                > If you can read english thank a Soldier
                > A man can live about 40 days without
                > Food, 3 days without Water, and 8 minites without
                > Air, and one second without Hope.

              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 18, 2006
                  I have seen second-hand fiberglass yumis go for around $125 but they are probably twice
                  that new. A bamboo yumi would be twice that again for a standard issue and start planning
                  on laying down over a $1000. The Yukake shooting glove goes for another $200.

                  Woodbows.com offers an asymmetrical bow that they refer to as a Yumi Style. Doesn't have
                  the unique shape of Yumi but it is only $120.

                  Jaap Koppedrayer has a video on making Yumi bows called "All Wrapped in Bow Making".

                  I believe that there was also a japanese short bow, the hankyu, that may be more like the
                  Asiatic recurve. I am not sure of its look.

                  James Wolfden