Re: Thanks for all the help (formerly: My first bow project)

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      White Oak will make a fine bow. Many prefer it over red oak.

      James
    • Rj Bachner
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
        Heya

        White oak is an excellent choice for a bow wood. It is almost as strong as
        hickory, makes an excellent flat bow and with some effort it makes a pretty
        good Longbow. It is, like Hickory very much prone to holding moisture
        content and so you should be very careful about making sure it is
        maintained at about 9% Moisture content (MC) and that when done that you
        seal the bow well.

        If you are not careful about MC then white oak can take a lot of set. You
        need to keep it dry dry dry.

        If you are going to make a bow of hickory or white oak a drying box is well
        worth the effort.

        White Oak also takes well to heavy heat treating. The last one I made I
        toasted the heck out of it 3 times while I was making it and it works well.

        Like Hickory, edge grain Laminations are an excellent backing for wood bows
        as well.

        I suggest you stick with flat bow designs till you are familiar with how it
        works. For a 28 inch draw, a 66 inch bow, 6 inch handle and 1 3/4 inch wide
        limbs will give you a pretty nice 50 lb bow when your done. You can also
        make the non bending handle section as much as dbl the length and narrow the
        limbs to 1 1/2 inches for the same effect with little or no set if tillered
        well.

        Red Oak is less prone to holding on to water, is not quite as strong but
        also makes a good bow. It is a favorite of many bowyers though because it is
        easier to work with for excellent results.

        As Logan mentioned, any wood can make a bow with the right design. But the
        denser harder hardwoods will work the best. Most softwoods don't have the
        guts to make a useful long-lasting bow. Most Junipers, Yew and some fir
        heartwoods to the exception.

        I suggest you find a good cabinet maker's lumber yard and find some quarter
        sawn hardwood to start with, around here white ash and red oak are the
        cheepest options that work well.

        this is some good basic instructions on making your first bow.
        http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=12.topic

        And this is some instructions on selecting a board stave in a lumber yard
        http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

        I hope all this helps, let me know if you need more info.

        Ragi

        Brokenaxe Archery
        www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

        7451 St Jacques West #2
        Montreal Quebec Canada
        H4B 1W7

        "Beauty is power and elegance. right action, form fitting function,
        intelligence and reasonability. and very often expressed in curves."

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
          I'm working on a project where it would be useful to include some
          information about famous archers.

          I know about a few interesting Asian sources including Erhii Mergen and Yi
          the archer of Mongolian and Chinese mythology respectively, some historical
          archers from the Mongol Empire like Yesunggei, Arjuna from the Indic epic
          Mahabarata, good ol' Robin Hood, and I think Odysseus was supposed to be an
          incredible archer. But that's about it.

          What are your heroes of archery?

          They can be historical or mythological, and from any culture. A name and
          source is plenty, brief description would be nice too. Emphasis on their
          skill. I'm just not interested in anything too modern.

          Oh yeah, William Tell and other crossbow heroes welcome too. Not my focus,
          but wouldn't hurt.

          Let me kick this off with the ones I know already:

          Erhii Mergen - Mongol mythology - Myth of the seven suns burning up the
          land, Erhii Mergen, after some boasting by both him and his flying horse,
          shot down 6 of the 7 suns, his 7th shot was deflected by a swallow, forking
          its tail, and the sun hid behind the mountains in the west. After failing to
          live up to his boast, he cut off his thumbs and became a marmot and his
          horse a gerbil.
          http://www.geocities.com/julelena/english/legends/Erkhii.htm

          Yi the archer - Chinese mythology, possibly 2 separate Yi's 1 myth & 1
          historical - variant myth of 7 suns among other stories.
          "Chinese Archery" by Stephen Selby

          Yesungge - Mongol Empire - Nephew of Chinggis Khaan, has a record breaking
          archery score (translations vary from 300 to 600 yards) recorded in stone
          currently held in the Hermitage.
          http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/12/b2003/hm12_3_1_5.html

          Puppy
          http://Yasa.NYCMongol.com
        • kaleyna@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
            Are you including gods when you talk mythology because then you have Artemis and, I htink, Apollo.

            What about Legolas :)

            Weren't the Amazons supposed to be amazing archers? And they cut of a breast so that's real commitment! :)

            I just did a google and found this. I don't think I remember him from anything I've read on Troy.

            Philoctetes
            The most famous archer in the Trojan war, to whom Hercules, at death, gave his arrows. He joined the allied Greeks, with seven ships, but in the island of Lemnos, his foot being bitten by a serpent, ulcerated, and became so offensive that the Greeks left him behind. In the tenth year of the siege Ulysses commanded that he should be sent for, as an oracle had declared that Troy could not be taken without the arrows of Hercules. Philoctetes accordingly went to Troy, slew Paris, and Troy fell. The Philoctetes of Sophocles is one of the most famous Greek tragedies. Laharpe wrote a French tragedy, and Warren, in 1871, a metrical drama on the same subject.
            And I saw something about Gwok Jing being the most famous archer from Eastern legend but I can't find real info on him.

            Kathy

          • Kinjal of Moravia
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

              In the archives here are several stories about famous archers -- may
              take a little searching under my posts -- Henry 8th, Buddha and one
              about a Greek area archer who would allow others to shot at him an
              knock their arrows from the air. Of course, you know of the Ghengis
              Kahn Stone. Also, the hero of the "black Arrow" famous novel does a
              stunt or two.

              Kinjal

            • hurlinlots@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
                Why not Howard Hill? He did the archery for Errol Flynn's "Adventures of
                Robin Hood". He supposedly shot people, placed blocks under the costumes and he
                put the arrows the blocks! Try that today in Hollywierd and see what happens!
                _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill_
                (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill)

                Byron Ferguson is an awesome exhibition archer today. Check his stuff out on
                youtube

              • jameswolfden
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                  There was a few Robin Hood type heroes in Medieval literature.

                  One story featured a trio Adam Bell, Clim of the Clough, and William
                  of Cloudesley.
                  http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/teams/adam.htm

                  Of course, in the modern mythology of comic books, we have a number
                  of archer superheroes with the most famous being Green Arrow. And
                  while he doesn't use a bow and arrow, the most famous side-kick of
                  them, Robin the Boy Wonder, is named after Robin Hood.

                  In Service,
                  James Wolfden
                • Kinjal of Moravia
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 20, 2008
                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

                    > I'm working on a project where it would be useful to include some
                    > information about famous archers.

                    The Archive reference for the Genghis Stella and other notable archers
                    is at post 17848 and there is some related 'opinons' expressed in
                    threat posts. Repeated here for convenience.

                    http://www.atarn.org/mongolian/mn_nat_arch/mn_nat_arch.htm

                    kinjal