Thanks for all the help (formerly: My first bow project)

  • scajonassca
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
      Seriously guys thanks. You all helped me a great deal with your
      advice and pointers. Please feel free to continue sending bits of
      your experience my way and don't hold back from other new members
      either. Some of the information you all gave me was new and very
      good. Some of it I already knew from my own research but it was very
      good for me to hear it from other people instead of just finding it
      on some single website with no one to back it up. Some of the
      information was detail oriented which helped as well, as many of the
      websites I've been to just give an overview of concepts. Again I
      appreciate it greatly.
      Here are a few good bow making articles I ran across in my own
      studies:
      http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html
      This is a great website for beginners and especially for those of us
      who live in apartments. In fact the site is titled "Bow building for
      poor people and apartment dwellers". It has a wealth of basic
      information on making bows for the first timer and a great section
      on tillering at the end of the two build along articles.
      http://www.murraygaskins.com/durable.html
      This the second link is a great article on making a bow from Hickory
      and has a very informative section on builting a small lightbulb
      powered staff drying kiln made of little more than insulation, light
      source and meat thermometer.
      Lastly I want to ask you all another question. Is "white oak"
      even remotely appropriate for a bow wood? I would presume that if it
      is at all then it would have to be backed. I think I may have a
      source of raw hickory soon so consider the white oak question just
      for poops and gigles.
      Again everybody who responded, thank you, thank you, thank you.
      Jonas
    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
        Almost any wood will work for a bow. You will need to go flatter and
        longer to get a less-suitable wood to work, even white pine. I
        believe that woodbows.com makes a lot of self-bows out of red oak,
        with passable results. White Oak should work just fine, with the
        right bow design. Use it to make a flatbow. Following the growth
        ring on the back will be more important. Backing with sinew or linen
        might be advisable if you were going to make white oak your preferred
        wood.

        Logan

        *snip
        > Is "white oak"
        > even remotely appropriate for a bow wood?
        pins*
      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2006
          White Oak will make a fine bow. Many prefer it over red oak.

          James
        • Rj Bachner
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
            Heya

            White oak is an excellent choice for a bow wood. It is almost as strong as
            hickory, makes an excellent flat bow and with some effort it makes a pretty
            good Longbow. It is, like Hickory very much prone to holding moisture
            content and so you should be very careful about making sure it is
            maintained at about 9% Moisture content (MC) and that when done that you
            seal the bow well.

            If you are not careful about MC then white oak can take a lot of set. You
            need to keep it dry dry dry.

            If you are going to make a bow of hickory or white oak a drying box is well
            worth the effort.

            White Oak also takes well to heavy heat treating. The last one I made I
            toasted the heck out of it 3 times while I was making it and it works well.

            Like Hickory, edge grain Laminations are an excellent backing for wood bows
            as well.

            I suggest you stick with flat bow designs till you are familiar with how it
            works. For a 28 inch draw, a 66 inch bow, 6 inch handle and 1 3/4 inch wide
            limbs will give you a pretty nice 50 lb bow when your done. You can also
            make the non bending handle section as much as dbl the length and narrow the
            limbs to 1 1/2 inches for the same effect with little or no set if tillered
            well.

            Red Oak is less prone to holding on to water, is not quite as strong but
            also makes a good bow. It is a favorite of many bowyers though because it is
            easier to work with for excellent results.

            As Logan mentioned, any wood can make a bow with the right design. But the
            denser harder hardwoods will work the best. Most softwoods don't have the
            guts to make a useful long-lasting bow. Most Junipers, Yew and some fir
            heartwoods to the exception.

            I suggest you find a good cabinet maker's lumber yard and find some quarter
            sawn hardwood to start with, around here white ash and red oak are the
            cheepest options that work well.

            this is some good basic instructions on making your first bow.
            http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=12.topic

            And this is some instructions on selecting a board stave in a lumber yard
            http://p081.ezboard.com/fpaleoplanet69529frm52.showMessage?topicID=2.topic

            I hope all this helps, let me know if you need more info.

            Ragi

            Brokenaxe Archery
            www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

            7451 St Jacques West #2
            Montreal Quebec Canada
            H4B 1W7

            "Beauty is power and elegance. right action, form fitting function,
            intelligence and reasonability. and very often expressed in curves."

            Almost any wood will work for a bow. You will need to go flatter and
            longer to get a less-suitable wood to work, even white pine. I
            believe that woodbows.com makes a lot of self-bows out of red oak,
            with passable results. White Oak should work just fine, with the
            right bow design. Use it to make a flatbow. Following the growth
            ring on the back will be more important. Backing with sinew or linen
            might be advisable if you were going to make white oak your preferred
            wood.

            Logan

            *snip
            > Is "white oak"
            > even remotely appropriate for a bow wood?
            pins*

          • Luigi Kapaj
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
              I'm working on a project where it would be useful to include some
              information about famous archers.

              I know about a few interesting Asian sources including Erhii Mergen and Yi
              the archer of Mongolian and Chinese mythology respectively, some historical
              archers from the Mongol Empire like Yesunggei, Arjuna from the Indic epic
              Mahabarata, good ol' Robin Hood, and I think Odysseus was supposed to be an
              incredible archer. But that's about it.

              What are your heroes of archery?

              They can be historical or mythological, and from any culture. A name and
              source is plenty, brief description would be nice too. Emphasis on their
              skill. I'm just not interested in anything too modern.

              Oh yeah, William Tell and other crossbow heroes welcome too. Not my focus,
              but wouldn't hurt.

              Let me kick this off with the ones I know already:

              Erhii Mergen - Mongol mythology - Myth of the seven suns burning up the
              land, Erhii Mergen, after some boasting by both him and his flying horse,
              shot down 6 of the 7 suns, his 7th shot was deflected by a swallow, forking
              its tail, and the sun hid behind the mountains in the west. After failing to
              live up to his boast, he cut off his thumbs and became a marmot and his
              horse a gerbil.
              http://www.geocities.com/julelena/english/legends/Erkhii.htm

              Yi the archer - Chinese mythology, possibly 2 separate Yi's 1 myth & 1
              historical - variant myth of 7 suns among other stories.
              "Chinese Archery" by Stephen Selby

              Yesungge - Mongol Empire - Nephew of Chinggis Khaan, has a record breaking
              archery score (translations vary from 300 to 600 yards) recorded in stone
              currently held in the Hermitage.
              http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/12/b2003/hm12_3_1_5.html

              Puppy
              http://Yasa.NYCMongol.com
            • kaleyna@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2008
                Are you including gods when you talk mythology because then you have Artemis and, I htink, Apollo.

                What about Legolas :)

                Weren't the Amazons supposed to be amazing archers? And they cut of a breast so that's real commitment! :)

                I just did a google and found this. I don't think I remember him from anything I've read on Troy.

                Philoctetes
                The most famous archer in the Trojan war, to whom Hercules, at death, gave his arrows. He joined the allied Greeks, with seven ships, but in the island of Lemnos, his foot being bitten by a serpent, ulcerated, and became so offensive that the Greeks left him behind. In the tenth year of the siege Ulysses commanded that he should be sent for, as an oracle had declared that Troy could not be taken without the arrows of Hercules. Philoctetes accordingly went to Troy, slew Paris, and Troy fell. The Philoctetes of Sophocles is one of the most famous Greek tragedies. Laharpe wrote a French tragedy, and Warren, in 1871, a metrical drama on the same subject.
                And I saw something about Gwok Jing being the most famous archer from Eastern legend but I can't find real info on him.

                Kathy

              • Kinjal of Moravia
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

                  In the archives here are several stories about famous archers -- may
                  take a little searching under my posts -- Henry 8th, Buddha and one
                  about a Greek area archer who would allow others to shot at him an
                  knock their arrows from the air. Of course, you know of the Ghengis
                  Kahn Stone. Also, the hero of the "black Arrow" famous novel does a
                  stunt or two.

                  Kinjal

                • hurlinlots@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 15, 2008
                    Why not Howard Hill? He did the archery for Errol Flynn's "Adventures of
                    Robin Hood". He supposedly shot people, placed blocks under the costumes and he
                    put the arrows the blocks! Try that today in Hollywierd and see what happens!
                    _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill_
                    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hill)

                    Byron Ferguson is an awesome exhibition archer today. Check his stuff out on
                    youtube

                  • jameswolfden
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16, 2008
                      There was a few Robin Hood type heroes in Medieval literature.

                      One story featured a trio Adam Bell, Clim of the Clough, and William
                      of Cloudesley.
                      http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/teams/adam.htm

                      Of course, in the modern mythology of comic books, we have a number
                      of archer superheroes with the most famous being Green Arrow. And
                      while he doesn't use a bow and arrow, the most famous side-kick of
                      them, Robin the Boy Wonder, is named after Robin Hood.

                      In Service,
                      James Wolfden
                    • Kinjal of Moravia
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2008
                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Kapaj" <puppy@...> wrote:

                        > I'm working on a project where it would be useful to include some
                        > information about famous archers.

                        The Archive reference for the Genghis Stella and other notable archers
                        is at post 17848 and there is some related 'opinons' expressed in
                        threat posts. Repeated here for convenience.

                        http://www.atarn.org/mongolian/mn_nat_arch/mn_nat_arch.htm

                        kinjal