Re: [SCA-Archery] Tillering board

  • James McAdams
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2006
      James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:

      >Easy .. Board... 2X4... cut notch in one end big enough for the handle of the bow or big enough for the center of a prod. Marks in inches(cm if Polish) starting at the bottom of the notch where the bow or prod touches. Put strung bow or prod in the notch then pull with scale(spring scale works best on bow) until you reach the weight you want(for tillering). That will give you draw length at that weight.
      >
      >This does not help much for checking for knees and other tillering flaws. You need to be away from the bow and have a good background to see the bow come full circle(for bows that work through the handle)

      The version I saw (from Gene Winters) is a vertical 2x4 with the
      notch to hold the bow so it's pointed at the ceiling. Then the spring
      hooks onto the bowstring, down to a pulley at the base of the board and
      along the floor to another pulley.
      This lets you pull upward on the rope, so you can watch the bow or
      the scale as needed.

      Xavier