RE: [SCA-Archery] Dayrl Merrill

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
      I did respond. But it is nice to see others willing to assist.

      Dayrl,

      Rask Ulfbjorn

      At 12:10 AM 11/24/06, Rj Bachner wrote:

      >Heya if they don't respond I can help out too.
      >
      >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca
      >
      >Ragi

    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
        Gladius the Alchemist (mka Jim Koch) has plans on his website
        http://www.alcheminc.com <http://www.alcheminc.com/> that I have used. As
        for prod materials, Master Iolo (New World Arbalest) uses aluminum prods,
        Gladius builds and sells steel prods, and many of us shoot modified or stock
        Barnett weapons with fiberglass prods. The relative advantages of each tend
        to even out in the long term.

        As you have said that you are in the Outlands, I suggest that you contact
        your Kingdom Archer General (or whatever title you folks use) and I am sure
        that he/she will be able to fill you in on any local requirements.

        I hope this helps some. If you want to correspond off list, I would be glad
        to do so.

        Forester Padraig MacRaighne

        Pentamere (Midrealm) Regional Archery Marshal

        Padraig@...

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
          Let me get in on this one. The first thing you need to decide is what you
          want from your crossbow. Do you want to hunt with it(see mundane state
          hunting laws), look as period as possible, compete(as in win) SCA or mundane
          shooting events, or just another fun thing to do in the SCA. While one bow
          can be be made to do all these things it may not be as good at one of them
          than another.

          For hunting again(see mundane state hunting regs) some states do not allow
          hunting with a crossbow. In Ohio you have to have a safety and be between
          certain draw weights, plus you cannot hunt frogs with a crossbow.

          For SCA shooting speed rounds are important. In mudane shooting exptreme
          accurace is most important.

          A period looking bow may not be able to be used for hunting and you would be
          handicaped in competitions that were not limited to period crossbows only.

          But crossbow are a tinkerers dream because 80% of your score come from how
          well you have tuned your crossbow and only 20% comes from practice.

          Once you have these decisions out of the way then you are ready to build.
          For an SCA crossbow any safe prod will work. Wood, wood laminate, aluminum,
          steel, and fiberglass are all ok to use. Some more period than others some
          more consistent than others. Safe is the key!!

          String height is much more rule oriented. In the mundane world center shot
          flying strings(those that do not touch anything except the bolt is the norm.
          In the SCA the Middle Kingdom does not allow flying string or centershot
          crossbows(too much of a modern advantage).

          I am the purveyor of the Cunningham top lever that is becoming the standard
          for combat crossbows. If you you would like plans contact me privately.

          James Cunningham

          Crossbow is very high on my to build list. I do however need access to some
          more info to be comfortable with resultant product. Such things as prod type
          wood lam or alum. or steel or fiberglass ( legal?) and string height above
          the stock or touching, etc, etc. I am looking for that info. You have
          answered the string part of the crossbow question.

          Rob Andersen
        • Taslen
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
            Just so you all know this summer Daryl went over and above to get us two bows from Martin, Mine had to be just about "custom made" left handed 40 pound pull and not in stock. Daryl was more patient then we were and made us some very nice arrows. HOOBA!!

            Gaelen O'Grady