Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: (no subject)

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2006
      I have always thought compound bows were easyer on arrows than longbows of the same peak weight. Because they accelerated the arrow at a low poundage so the arrow is moving when it hits peak weight ie: 55% of 70 lb is about 30 lb where a 70 lb long bow dumps 70lb on an arrow that is not moving. I can see the fear in a compound seller when he thinks people will use 30lb spined arrows on a 70 lb 55% let off compound. But I do not shoot compound but I know we have compound shooters lurking on this list. So what is the real story?

      James Cunningham
      Ready to learn

      Hmmm a different type of kinetic energy? I did not know there was such a
      thing. ;) My friend I would have to say that the real problem here is that
      old urban myth and uneducated nitwits working at so called pro shops.
      Specially ones that don't deal with Trad gear.

      Wood is just as strong as Aluminum or carbon in this case and seeing as the
      arrowshaft is driven forward directly in line with the axis of the arrow, it
      should make no difference as to what the shaft is made of as long as it is
      spined correctly for the bow. If compounds were not center shot then I might
      be tempted to agree with you in some cases but they are very exactly
      centershot.

      Don't forget pro shops are about selling thier product and trad stuff is
      seldom what they get requests for so they have no understanding of it.

      My suggestion is sell the compound and go with a nice longbow. ;)

      I also suggest such web sites as www.tradgang.com and
      http://www.outdoorcore.com/forums/ and
      the leatherwall http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/THREADSx2.CFM

      Loads of info there. Outdoor core will be the best place to ask about wood
      arrows on a compound. Tell em Ragi sent you.

      ragi