Re: new bow strings

  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2006
      All depends on what string you want to use.
      If you're after a more period look, flemish twist is the way to go.
      Both methods give you a very reliable string to use.

      My own selfish opinion is that continuous loop strings should stay on
      recurves.
      Flemish however, look okay on any traditional bow. (and you don't need a
      jig to make them)

      Godwin

      I am new to SCA and do not have an SCA name yet.
      Last weekend I dug out my old bows and got authorized in target archery.
      I want to restring both bows with strings that I make. I will be
      ordering B-50
      and serving for those strings. My question is: does anyone have reason why
      the string should be made up of 6 to 7 (11ft) single pieces for 12 to 14
      strands with Flemish braid as opposed to a single 70 to 80 ft that is well
      served?

      R Andersen