Re: [SCA-Archery] new bow srings

  • Dayrl Merrill
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 22, 2006
      You can also use two colors for continous loop strings and the strength
      loss is so minor that it
      doesn't matter. If you wanted three color then I would probably make it a
      strand or two more than standard but it is doubtful that ithey would be needed.

      Rask

    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 22, 2006
        Hmm... I guess I should see someone else make a continuous string.
        I use 2 C clamps, 2 pieces of wood with a dowel inserted in each,
        and whatever is handy - table, picnic table, piece of railing, bed
        to a pickup, etc... What does a continuous strand jig look like?

        Although, to be honest, I sometimes make the flemish twist with no
        jig, and just measure each piece out by comparison to the rest of
        the bundle.

        Logan

        > Now on the up side for the Flemish twist, is that the jig (if you
        use
        > one), is much smaller and more portable then the jig required to
        do a
        > continuous loop string.
        >
        > Njall

      • Rob Andersen
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 22, 2006
          > What Kingdom and local group are you in? If you're near a practice the
          local Marshals should be able to assist you.

          I am in the Outlands, Barony Fontaine dans Sable (Farmington, New Mexico).
          Unfortunately we live 100 miles away, other Shires and Baronies are even
          farther away, and do not get to organized practice regularly. We intend to
          practice mostly at home.

          Rob Andersen
        • lewindepartone@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
            here is one jig sold by 3 rivers:
            _http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=27_
            (http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=27)
            some plans for home made ones:
            _http://www.tradgang.com/stuff_bin/stringjig.jpg_
            (http://www.tradgang.com/stuff_bin/stringjig.jpg)

            one for endless strings:
            _http://www.tradgang.com/endless/_ (http://www.tradgang.com/endless/)

            _Re: new bow srings _
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/message/21839;_ylc=X3oDMTJxbmhqbG1xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1
            MDMEbXNnSWQDMjE4MzkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTE2NDMwMDY4OQ--)
            Posted by: "logantheboweyder" _logantheboweyder@... _
            (mailto:logantheboweyder@...?Subject= Re:%20new%20bow%20srings) _logantheboweyder _
            (http://profiles.yahoo.com/logantheboweyder)
            Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:17 pm (PST)
            Hmm... I guess I should see someone else make a continuous string.
            I use 2 C clamps, 2 pieces of wood with a dowel inserted in each,
            and whatever is handy - table, picnic table, piece of railing, bed
            to a pickup, etc... What does a continuous strand jig look like?

            Although, to be honest, I sometimes make the flemish twist with no
            jig, and just measure each piece out by comparison to the rest of
            the bundle.

            Logan

          • i_griffen
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
              Rob

              If you can contact the Archer General of the Outlands Baron Larke
              the Fletcher. He will put you in contact with others that lives
              close to you

              Iain
              Kingdom of Atenveldt

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Andersen" <rmcma@...> wrote:

              > > What Kingdom and local group are you in? If you're near a
              practice the
              > local Marshals should be able to assist you.
              >

              > I am in the Outlands, Barony Fontaine dans Sable (Farmington, New
              Mexico).
              > Unfortunately we live 100 miles away, other Shires and Baronies
              are even
              > farther away, and do not get to organized practice regularly. We
              intend to
              > practice mostly at home.
              >
              > Rob Andersen

            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
                Continuous loop strings are documentable for crossbows. I like to make mine
                a little more robust than the charts might indicate (about 1 loop extra).
                It might slow my strings down slightly, but I like knowing there is that
                little extra safety margin. The only string blowouts I have ever had doing
                this were where a burr or slight rough spot on a prod wore through the
                servings and the string itself.

                There are several different designs floating around out there for a
                continuous loop jig. They all seem to do the job. I made mine with help
                from a router, a drill press and a friend.

                Padraig

              • Rob Andersen
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
                  Padraig

                  > Continuous loop strings are documentable for crossbows. I like to make
                  mine
                  > a little more robust than the charts might indicate (about 1 loop extra).
                  > It might slow my strings down slightly, but I like knowing there is that
                  > little extra safety margin. The only string blowouts I have ever had
                  doing
                  > this were where a burr or slight rough spot on a prod wore through the
                  > servings and the string itself.

                  Crossbow is very high on my to build list. I do however need access to some
                  more info to be comfortable with resultant product. Such things as prod type
                  wood lam or alum. or steel or fiberglass ( legal?) and string height above
                  the stock or touching, etc, etc. I am looking for that info. You have
                  answered the string part of the crossbow question.

                  Rob Andersen
                • rebeccaatthewell_2000
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
                    Please contact me off list. I need some new arrows and haven't been
                    able to get my email to go through. :)

                    Rebecca
                  • Rj Bachner
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 23, 2006
                      Heya if they don't respond I can help out too.

                      www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca

                      Ragi

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
                        I did respond. But it is nice to see others willing to assist.

                        Dayrl,

                        Rask Ulfbjorn

                        At 12:10 AM 11/24/06, Rj Bachner wrote:

                        >Heya if they don't respond I can help out too.
                        >
                        >www.shoppe.brokenaxe.ca
                        >
                        >Ragi

                      • Frederick Fenters
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
                          Gladius the Alchemist (mka Jim Koch) has plans on his website
                          http://www.alcheminc.com <http://www.alcheminc.com/> that I have used. As
                          for prod materials, Master Iolo (New World Arbalest) uses aluminum prods,
                          Gladius builds and sells steel prods, and many of us shoot modified or stock
                          Barnett weapons with fiberglass prods. The relative advantages of each tend
                          to even out in the long term.

                          As you have said that you are in the Outlands, I suggest that you contact
                          your Kingdom Archer General (or whatever title you folks use) and I am sure
                          that he/she will be able to fill you in on any local requirements.

                          I hope this helps some. If you want to correspond off list, I would be glad
                          to do so.

                          Forester Padraig MacRaighne

                          Pentamere (Midrealm) Regional Archery Marshal

                          Padraig@...

                        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
                            Let me get in on this one. The first thing you need to decide is what you
                            want from your crossbow. Do you want to hunt with it(see mundane state
                            hunting laws), look as period as possible, compete(as in win) SCA or mundane
                            shooting events, or just another fun thing to do in the SCA. While one bow
                            can be be made to do all these things it may not be as good at one of them
                            than another.

                            For hunting again(see mundane state hunting regs) some states do not allow
                            hunting with a crossbow. In Ohio you have to have a safety and be between
                            certain draw weights, plus you cannot hunt frogs with a crossbow.

                            For SCA shooting speed rounds are important. In mudane shooting exptreme
                            accurace is most important.

                            A period looking bow may not be able to be used for hunting and you would be
                            handicaped in competitions that were not limited to period crossbows only.

                            But crossbow are a tinkerers dream because 80% of your score come from how
                            well you have tuned your crossbow and only 20% comes from practice.

                            Once you have these decisions out of the way then you are ready to build.
                            For an SCA crossbow any safe prod will work. Wood, wood laminate, aluminum,
                            steel, and fiberglass are all ok to use. Some more period than others some
                            more consistent than others. Safe is the key!!

                            String height is much more rule oriented. In the mundane world center shot
                            flying strings(those that do not touch anything except the bolt is the norm.
                            In the SCA the Middle Kingdom does not allow flying string or centershot
                            crossbows(too much of a modern advantage).

                            I am the purveyor of the Cunningham top lever that is becoming the standard
                            for combat crossbows. If you you would like plans contact me privately.

                            James Cunningham

                            Crossbow is very high on my to build list. I do however need access to some
                            more info to be comfortable with resultant product. Such things as prod type
                            wood lam or alum. or steel or fiberglass ( legal?) and string height above
                            the stock or touching, etc, etc. I am looking for that info. You have
                            answered the string part of the crossbow question.

                            Rob Andersen
                          • Taslen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 24, 2006
                              Just so you all know this summer Daryl went over and above to get us two bows from Martin, Mine had to be just about "custom made" left handed 40 pound pull and not in stock. Daryl was more patient then we were and made us some very nice arrows. HOOBA!!

                              Gaelen O'Grady