Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: (no subject)

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2006
      When Sheldon the Just put fingers to keys it was 11/16/06 11:02 PM...

      > I was discussing this issue with the president of the
      > archery club that I belong to at the last business
      > meeting.
      >
      > He shoots both recurve and compound. He was also told
      > never to use wooden arrows on a compound bow.
      >
      > The reason was that the major amount of energy is
      > exerted on the arrow initially, when it leaves a long
      > bow or recurve.
      >
      > With a compound bow, the initial force is less and
      > then it increases as the arrow moves forward, due to
      > the pulleys and cams.
      >
      > Due to archer's paradox, the arrow flexes around the
      > bow.
      >
      > So due to this, the wooden arrows spline is
      > effectively incorrect for the compound bow.

      Yeah, it's a good rule:
      Never shoot arrows that are not well enough matched to the bow to be safe.

      I wouldn't expect arrows spined for a 50# longbow to fly well out of a
      50# compound be they wood or carbon or aluminum. But it's going to take
      a lot of doing to convince me that it would be unsafe.

      Any time a rule says 'Never...', I assume it's because whatever it is is
      unsafe. If the problem is that it doesn't work well, the rule should
      say, "It doesn't work well to..."

      --
      Fritz
      Aut invenian viam aut faciam.