Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: (no subject)

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
      >Hey ya Ragi! and Arthur! Yes most shops just arent familiar with
      >traditional bows....but that would of course depend on the owners
      >experiences. Like Ragi said Trad Gang is an excellent site for
      >information on traditional bows!!!
      I tend to agree. Many of the archery shops I have frequented over the past
      36 years have been one or two man operations. Usually owned and run by
      some retired mechanic and one of his hunting buddies. For this reason
      their experience and prejudices reflect their experience. Here in Ohio we
      currently have three types of archery shops. Compound bow hunter staffed
      shops are still the most common. Take a crossbow to one and you get the
      evil eye. Then there are the crossbow hunter staffed shops. Take a
      traditional bow to one and you get a look of disbelief. The worst are the
      big box "Gander Mountain" type sporting goods stores. They do some limited
      repairs on the equipment they sell. Mostly just replacing worn cables on
      compound bows. Otherwise they are pretty generally ignorant of the sport
      of archery.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
    • Bob Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
        If anything, on a pound-for-pound basis compound bows should be less
        stressful to wooden arrows than recurves or longbows. In a longbow,
        all of the bow's energy is imparted to the arrow in one pulse, while
        in a recurve the energy is imparted over a longer period as the two
        sets of curves release their energy sequentially. A wooden arrow
        from a recurve can therefore be a little less stiff than a longbow
        arrow and still be as accurate.

        Since a compound bow uses cams, the energy imparted is done in a
        smooth, continuous fashion over a longer period than a recurve, and
        therefore should show the same advantage over the recurve that the
        recurve has over the longbow.

        hidiock
      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2006
          I can't of course speak to all "Gander Mountain" shops but there is a
          very knowledgeable and all around great guy that works at what would be
          my local Gander Mountain. He has been shooting traditional archery
          since probably before I was born. I know that he has been making cedar
          arrows for at least that long because we have had that conversation. He
          also makes his own longbows. He is a very talented artist. I've always
          known it but this only confirms that my "Gander Mountain" is lucky to
          have him.

          Esperanza (who was up until now only lurking on the list)
        • Hobbe
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
            It seems I am lucky to have archery shop nearby where the owner is into
            traditional bows. He has customers who range from Olympic shooters to
            hunters with longbows. He stocks cedar shafts and arrow making supplies
            and also has a few throwing axes. Until I set foot into his shop, he
            had never heard of the SCA, but was amazed to hear about what we do.

            He doesn't have an internet presence, but if you are in the Albany area
            of NY, look up Lemme's Archery, 1702 Central Ave. Colonie, NY (518) 869-
            5363. Mario will talk your ear off about any archery topic you wish to
            discuss.

            -Hobbe
          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 16, 2006
              I am lucky, too. It's only about an hour drive to get to Three Rivers
              Archery from my home. We usually stop off on our way to Sternfeld (Middle
              Kingdom) for Better War Through Archery. Three or four of us carpool from
              Michigan to Indy.

              BTW, for you hunters, Deer Season opened here in Michigan yesterday. I hear
              they are expecting to harvest almost 300,000 deer in the next two weeks. I
              saw 4 successful hunters yesterday while out making my rounds.

              Padraig