RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: (no subject)

  • Rj Bachner
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
      Why would I need training wheels I have been shooting real bows for years.
      Thems is for kids and noobs.

      ragi

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
        >Hey ya Ragi! and Arthur! Yes most shops just arent familiar with
        >traditional bows....but that would of course depend on the owners
        >experiences. Like Ragi said Trad Gang is an excellent site for
        >information on traditional bows!!!
        I tend to agree. Many of the archery shops I have frequented over the past
        36 years have been one or two man operations. Usually owned and run by
        some retired mechanic and one of his hunting buddies. For this reason
        their experience and prejudices reflect their experience. Here in Ohio we
        currently have three types of archery shops. Compound bow hunter staffed
        shops are still the most common. Take a crossbow to one and you get the
        evil eye. Then there are the crossbow hunter staffed shops. Take a
        traditional bow to one and you get a look of disbelief. The worst are the
        big box "Gander Mountain" type sporting goods stores. They do some limited
        repairs on the equipment they sell. Mostly just replacing worn cables on
        compound bows. Otherwise they are pretty generally ignorant of the sport
        of archery.

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
      • Bob Lauderdale
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
          If anything, on a pound-for-pound basis compound bows should be less
          stressful to wooden arrows than recurves or longbows. In a longbow,
          all of the bow's energy is imparted to the arrow in one pulse, while
          in a recurve the energy is imparted over a longer period as the two
          sets of curves release their energy sequentially. A wooden arrow
          from a recurve can therefore be a little less stiff than a longbow
          arrow and still be as accurate.

          Since a compound bow uses cams, the energy imparted is done in a
          smooth, continuous fashion over a longer period than a recurve, and
          therefore should show the same advantage over the recurve that the
          recurve has over the longbow.

          hidiock
        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2006
            I can't of course speak to all "Gander Mountain" shops but there is a
            very knowledgeable and all around great guy that works at what would be
            my local Gander Mountain. He has been shooting traditional archery
            since probably before I was born. I know that he has been making cedar
            arrows for at least that long because we have had that conversation. He
            also makes his own longbows. He is a very talented artist. I've always
            known it but this only confirms that my "Gander Mountain" is lucky to
            have him.

            Esperanza (who was up until now only lurking on the list)
          • Hobbe
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
              It seems I am lucky to have archery shop nearby where the owner is into
              traditional bows. He has customers who range from Olympic shooters to
              hunters with longbows. He stocks cedar shafts and arrow making supplies
              and also has a few throwing axes. Until I set foot into his shop, he
              had never heard of the SCA, but was amazed to hear about what we do.

              He doesn't have an internet presence, but if you are in the Albany area
              of NY, look up Lemme's Archery, 1702 Central Ave. Colonie, NY (518) 869-
              5363. Mario will talk your ear off about any archery topic you wish to
              discuss.

              -Hobbe
            • Frederick Fenters
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 16, 2006
                I am lucky, too. It's only about an hour drive to get to Three Rivers
                Archery from my home. We usually stop off on our way to Sternfeld (Middle
                Kingdom) for Better War Through Archery. Three or four of us carpool from
                Michigan to Indy.

                BTW, for you hunters, Deer Season opened here in Michigan yesterday. I hear
                they are expecting to harvest almost 300,000 deer in the next two weeks. I
                saw 4 successful hunters yesterday while out making my rounds.

                Padraig