Re: (no subject)

  • Lawrence
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hey ya Ragi! and Arthur! Yes most shops just arent familiar with
      traditional bows....but that would of course depend on the owners
      experiences. Like Ragi said Trad Gang is an excellent site for
      information on traditional bows!!!

      As for wood arrows.....as long as they are spined "correctly" they
      are fine for any bow! The problem is that most people dont understand
      about spining and will shoot very light weight spined arrows out of a
      compound and have the arrow blow up on them......of course this can
      also happen if you use a very heavy poundage longbow or recurve and
      light spined shafts.

      Lawrence

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

      > When lewindepartone@... put fingers to keys it was 11/13/06 3:43
      > PM...
      >
      > > Ive talked to several bow shops in the area cause my son wanted
      to do this
      > > and I told him i didn't think it was a smart idea so i took him
      around. went
      > > to three shops and they all stated clearly that you should not
      shoot them
      > > from compound bows. something about the different type of kentic
      energy from a
      > > compound versus a trad bow
      >
      > Hmmm...
      > Seems to me:
      > A compound actually delivers its energy more gradually than the
      > traditional bow. If your arrows will stand up to the sudden ooompph
      of a
      > longbow, they'll be fine out of a compound of similar power. Spine
      > issues are different I bet, but that's mostly obviated by the
      > center-shot-ness of the compound.
      >
      > I still don't see the problem, but then, you should see some of the
      > stuff I have no problem shooting.
      >
      > Someone with more experience with compounds, back me up or
      straighten me
      > out, eh?
      >
      > --
      > Fritz
      > Aut invenian viam aut faciam.

    • Rj Bachner
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
        That's a good point that never occurred to me. Why insult the spirit of the
        wood by shooting it out of some damned contraption? They make soulless
        arrows for just such a thing.

        Now I have to go ask forgiveness of my woodies for not thinking of their
        feelings. ;)

        Thanks for reminding me.

        Ragi

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
            Why would I need training wheels I have been shooting real bows for years.
            Thems is for kids and noobs.

            ragi

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
              >Hey ya Ragi! and Arthur! Yes most shops just arent familiar with
              >traditional bows....but that would of course depend on the owners
              >experiences. Like Ragi said Trad Gang is an excellent site for
              >information on traditional bows!!!
              I tend to agree. Many of the archery shops I have frequented over the past
              36 years have been one or two man operations. Usually owned and run by
              some retired mechanic and one of his hunting buddies. For this reason
              their experience and prejudices reflect their experience. Here in Ohio we
              currently have three types of archery shops. Compound bow hunter staffed
              shops are still the most common. Take a crossbow to one and you get the
              evil eye. Then there are the crossbow hunter staffed shops. Take a
              traditional bow to one and you get a look of disbelief. The worst are the
              big box "Gander Mountain" type sporting goods stores. They do some limited
              repairs on the equipment they sell. Mostly just replacing worn cables on
              compound bows. Otherwise they are pretty generally ignorant of the sport
              of archery.

              Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
            • Bob Lauderdale
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 13, 2006
                If anything, on a pound-for-pound basis compound bows should be less
                stressful to wooden arrows than recurves or longbows. In a longbow,
                all of the bow's energy is imparted to the arrow in one pulse, while
                in a recurve the energy is imparted over a longer period as the two
                sets of curves release their energy sequentially. A wooden arrow
                from a recurve can therefore be a little less stiff than a longbow
                arrow and still be as accurate.

                Since a compound bow uses cams, the energy imparted is done in a
                smooth, continuous fashion over a longer period than a recurve, and
                therefore should show the same advantage over the recurve that the
                recurve has over the longbow.

                hidiock
              • Suzanne
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 14, 2006
                  I can't of course speak to all "Gander Mountain" shops but there is a
                  very knowledgeable and all around great guy that works at what would be
                  my local Gander Mountain. He has been shooting traditional archery
                  since probably before I was born. I know that he has been making cedar
                  arrows for at least that long because we have had that conversation. He
                  also makes his own longbows. He is a very talented artist. I've always
                  known it but this only confirms that my "Gander Mountain" is lucky to
                  have him.

                  Esperanza (who was up until now only lurking on the list)
                • Hobbe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                    It seems I am lucky to have archery shop nearby where the owner is into
                    traditional bows. He has customers who range from Olympic shooters to
                    hunters with longbows. He stocks cedar shafts and arrow making supplies
                    and also has a few throwing axes. Until I set foot into his shop, he
                    had never heard of the SCA, but was amazed to hear about what we do.

                    He doesn't have an internet presence, but if you are in the Albany area
                    of NY, look up Lemme's Archery, 1702 Central Ave. Colonie, NY (518) 869-
                    5363. Mario will talk your ear off about any archery topic you wish to
                    discuss.

                    -Hobbe
                  • Frederick Fenters
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 16, 2006
                      I am lucky, too. It's only about an hour drive to get to Three Rivers
                      Archery from my home. We usually stop off on our way to Sternfeld (Middle
                      Kingdom) for Better War Through Archery. Three or four of us carpool from
                      Michigan to Indy.

                      BTW, for you hunters, Deer Season opened here in Michigan yesterday. I hear
                      they are expecting to harvest almost 300,000 deer in the next two weeks. I
                      saw 4 successful hunters yesterday while out making my rounds.

                      Padraig