Re: [SCA-Archery] christmas help...

  • LD.BLACKMOON
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
      greetings

      shops in Oklahoma can do all the work you mentioned , so i would guess that shops in California could as well.

      as for the arrow heads , what kind you buy will depend on what he plans to do with them.
      field points for target shooting , broadheads for hunting .
      also , you don't say what type arrows they are.
      fiberglass, graphite,and aluminum arrows , you can interchange the heads, wooden arrows , you glue the heads on .
      again the shop should be able to help you there as well.

      hope that helps

      be safe, be happy, have fun
      arthur blackmoon

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
        My lady, archery is a wonderful pastime, and I applaud your idea to gift
        your husband this way. However, I would like to interject a word of
        caution here, since you say you know nothing about archery. Perhaps
        your husband knows these things, but just in case:

        I am concerned that you mention "sharpening" in regard to the
        arrowheads. The kind of arrowheads that need sharpening are used only
        for hunting. The most common kind are called broadheads, and look sort
        of like two or three triangular razor blades welded together.
        Arrowheads of this kind should NEVER be used on a normal target range,
        and they should NEVER be used by beginning or out-of-practice archers.
        They are very dangerous. Even if you never miss, broadheads will often
        go right through the bales of hay or excelsior on a target range, and
        sometimes through the backstop netting, and they do a lot of damage to
        them in the process. Most ranges ban them outright, and many cities
        prohibit their use within city limits. Sorry to sound like the voice of
        doom here, but I feel that's a lot better than being sorry later.

        Target arrowheads, on the other hand, have points sort of like those
        stubby pencils they give you at libraries. They are purposely blunt so
        that a bale of hay can stop them, and not be cut to pieces in the
        process, and so they can be easily pulled out of the target. They can
        also be handled with almost no risk of injury. These are the kind of
        arrows your husband needs for target practice.

        If in doubt, call the archery shop and describe the arrows to them. If
        they are tipped with broadheads, chances are that the shop can put
        target tips on them for you.

        Your husband will also need a shooting glove, tab, or release. The
        archery shop will also know about these things.

        Good luck!

        John