christmas help...

  • aduckling2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
      my husband showed me an old compound bow (that needs new strings) and a box of brand
      new (not sharpened) arrows. He said he'd never used the bow or arrows before but always
      wanted to. I thought to surprise him for Christmas and take care of that for him. Alas I know
      ZILTCH about archery! Is it safe to assume I can take the arrows and bow to a shop and
      they'll take care of it? I'm asking because I've never been to a shop and I'd like to have a little
      information. Been looking online for awhile now about sharpening arrows but to no avail....
      any hints about price, kinds of tips, anything at
      all would be very much appreciated!

      from Sunny San Diego
    • LD.BLACKMOON
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
        greetings

        shops in Oklahoma can do all the work you mentioned , so i would guess that shops in California could as well.

        as for the arrow heads , what kind you buy will depend on what he plans to do with them.
        field points for target shooting , broadheads for hunting .
        also , you don't say what type arrows they are.
        fiberglass, graphite,and aluminum arrows , you can interchange the heads, wooden arrows , you glue the heads on .
        again the shop should be able to help you there as well.

        hope that helps

        be safe, be happy, have fun
        arthur blackmoon

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2006
          My lady, archery is a wonderful pastime, and I applaud your idea to gift
          your husband this way. However, I would like to interject a word of
          caution here, since you say you know nothing about archery. Perhaps
          your husband knows these things, but just in case:

          I am concerned that you mention "sharpening" in regard to the
          arrowheads. The kind of arrowheads that need sharpening are used only
          for hunting. The most common kind are called broadheads, and look sort
          of like two or three triangular razor blades welded together.
          Arrowheads of this kind should NEVER be used on a normal target range,
          and they should NEVER be used by beginning or out-of-practice archers.
          They are very dangerous. Even if you never miss, broadheads will often
          go right through the bales of hay or excelsior on a target range, and
          sometimes through the backstop netting, and they do a lot of damage to
          them in the process. Most ranges ban them outright, and many cities
          prohibit their use within city limits. Sorry to sound like the voice of
          doom here, but I feel that's a lot better than being sorry later.

          Target arrowheads, on the other hand, have points sort of like those
          stubby pencils they give you at libraries. They are purposely blunt so
          that a bale of hay can stop them, and not be cut to pieces in the
          process, and so they can be easily pulled out of the target. They can
          also be handled with almost no risk of injury. These are the kind of
          arrows your husband needs for target practice.

          If in doubt, call the archery shop and describe the arrows to them. If
          they are tipped with broadheads, chances are that the shop can put
          target tips on them for you.

          Your husband will also need a shooting glove, tab, or release. The
          archery shop will also know about these things.

          Good luck!

          John