Re: Ancient defense

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
      I have never heard/read about anything similiar in medieval times. It
      seems to me be a complicated means to do something simple. A simple
      wood pavise would have done mostly the same thing. The other problem
      with something like this, is that it is only going to protect those
      under it. Move the archers and you either have to build another
      shield/wheel or move the one you have.

      In a walled city, shooting over the wall is a tactic to unnerve the
      citizens. As such, I would not consider the arrows wasted. Chances were
      you never going to hit anybody anyways. They would just stay away from
      the arrow drop zone. Especially in a city like Tyre which was a walled
      island. It would not that easy to move the archers from one location to
      another without being seen. As such, most of Alexander's archers would
      likely be on the mole he was building. And if the arrows are making the
      citizens build rotating wheel shields, they are busy doing something
      other than counterattacking. The arrows have done their damage - but
      it's a psychological damage. It lets them know that the enemy is still
      here.

      And, in the end, Alexander conquered Tyre, killed many of its citizens
      and enslaved the rest. All Tyre's defense did was let it hold out
      longer than other cities. It's main defenses were its location, the
      high walls, and, initially, its superiority in naval battles.

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      <gusarimagic@...> wrote:

      > In reading an account of the seige of Tyre by Alexander (332BC), I
      > found a reference to the use of large wheels within the walls used to
      > deflect missles sent over the walls -- arrows, darts and javalins.
      > These wheels were spun during an attack and snagged the missles,
      often
      > without damage for reuse. The attackers were unaware of this defense
      > and wasted thousands of arrows in attempts to harrass the citizens in
      > the streets below.
      >
      > I wonder if this technique was ever used in medieval times???
      >
      > kinjal

    • John Rossignol
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
        Which account are you reading?

        John

        Kinjal of Moravia wrote:

        >In reading an account of the seige of Tyre by Alexander (332BC), I
        >found a reference to the use of large wheels within the walls used to
        >deflect missles sent over the walls -- arrows, darts and javalins.
        >These wheels were spun during an attack and snagged the missles, often
        >without damage for reuse. The attackers were unaware of this defense
        >and wasted thousands of arrows in attempts to harrass the citizens in
        >the streets below.
        >
        >I wonder if this technique was ever used in medieval times???
        >
        >kinjal

      • Kinjal of Moravia
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John Rossignol <giguette@...>