Ancient defense

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
      In reading an account of the seige of Tyre by Alexander (332BC), I
      found a reference to the use of large wheels within the walls used to
      deflect missles sent over the walls -- arrows, darts and javalins.
      These wheels were spun during an attack and snagged the missles, often
      without damage for reuse. The attackers were unaware of this defense
      and wasted thousands of arrows in attempts to harrass the citizens in
      the streets below.

      I wonder if this technique was ever used in medieval times???

      kinjal
    • Taslen

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2006
          I have never heard/read about anything similiar in medieval times. It
          seems to me be a complicated means to do something simple. A simple
          wood pavise would have done mostly the same thing. The other problem
          with something like this, is that it is only going to protect those
          under it. Move the archers and you either have to build another
          shield/wheel or move the one you have.

          In a walled city, shooting over the wall is a tactic to unnerve the
          citizens. As such, I would not consider the arrows wasted. Chances were
          you never going to hit anybody anyways. They would just stay away from
          the arrow drop zone. Especially in a city like Tyre which was a walled
          island. It would not that easy to move the archers from one location to
          another without being seen. As such, most of Alexander's archers would
          likely be on the mole he was building. And if the arrows are making the
          citizens build rotating wheel shields, they are busy doing something
          other than counterattacking. The arrows have done their damage - but
          it's a psychological damage. It lets them know that the enemy is still
          here.

          And, in the end, Alexander conquered Tyre, killed many of its citizens
          and enslaved the rest. All Tyre's defense did was let it hold out
          longer than other cities. It's main defenses were its location, the
          high walls, and, initially, its superiority in naval battles.

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
          <gusarimagic@...> wrote:

          > In reading an account of the seige of Tyre by Alexander (332BC), I
          > found a reference to the use of large wheels within the walls used to
          > deflect missles sent over the walls -- arrows, darts and javalins.
          > These wheels were spun during an attack and snagged the missles,
          often
          > without damage for reuse. The attackers were unaware of this defense
          > and wasted thousands of arrows in attempts to harrass the citizens in
          > the streets below.
          >
          > I wonder if this technique was ever used in medieval times???
          >
          > kinjal

        • John Rossignol
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            Which account are you reading?

            John

            Kinjal of Moravia wrote:

            >In reading an account of the seige of Tyre by Alexander (332BC), I
            >found a reference to the use of large wheels within the walls used to
            >deflect missles sent over the walls -- arrows, darts and javalins.
            >These wheels were spun during an attack and snagged the missles, often
            >without damage for reuse. The attackers were unaware of this defense
            >and wasted thousands of arrows in attempts to harrass the citizens in
            >the streets below.
            >
            >I wonder if this technique was ever used in medieval times???
            >
            >kinjal

          • Kinjal of Moravia
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John Rossignol <giguette@...>