Re: Newbie Question

  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 29, 2006
      Rob,

      I shoot longbow also, and my first bow (as in built by me) is a hickory
      backed yew. I use a small leather wedge held in place by the leather
      wrapped handle, thereby also utilizing a arrow nocking point on the string.

      My second bow is a bamboo backed vermillion, and I shoot off my gloved
      hand. I do not use a nocking point on the string. The leather wrap
      around the handle part of the bow, gives me the parameters of where to
      grip the bow. As I put an arrow to the string, based on my hand
      position, I just modify the angle of the arrow as to what I know is
      correct, and shoot. It's not as difficult as you might think, and in my
      case, it makes it easier.

      Both bows are about 62lb.

      The difference between a "cut in rest", and shooting off the side of the
      bow, is how well matched your arrows need to be to your bow. A cut in
      rest will allow more mismatch in spine/weight. When you start
      incorporating the "archer's paradox", your arrows must be closely
      matched to your bows needs (spine/weight). You are wanting the arrow to
      bend around the bow exactly the right amount so that when it clears the
      bow, it is traveling in the line of where you are "aiming".

      Godwin