Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Are wheeled rest SCA legal?

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 20, 2006
      This is the first instance where I have seen a rest which screws through the riser that does not use the outlawed plunger button. As the rules stand there is no reason this rest cannot be used. It appears to be legal in the letter of the law. The laws have to be updated periodically as new equipment is invented. The part about the bristle rest is new for instance.

      Now is it legal in the spirit of the law? Does it give the user an unfair advantage over someone who is using a simple glue on hook rest? That is the real question. We are trying to promote medieval style shooting. This is not really a very period method to help your daughter. Maybe just letting her work through the problems with the simple stick on rest, or better yet as someone said remove it competely and shoot off the shelf. I think it is easier in the timed ends anyway. The more you have to mess with keeping the arrow on a small rest the harder it is to get a quick and smooth load, draw and release.

      If it showed up at my range I would qently recommend its removal.

      Nest

      ice tiger <ice.tiger@...> wrote:
      You're correct, it doesn't specifically say you can't use a rest that attaches to the tap and die section of a modern bow. Perhaps they figured saying a simple plastic or bristle rest was sufficient. Are you actually seriously saying that you feel a rest that attaches to the bow by screwing it in is legal?
      Dalton

      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 3, 2006
        I would happily have her shoot off the shelf. The problem was that
        the rest on the recurve has a significant curve to it. The wheeled
        rest I saw would have fit perfectly into it.

        I have installed a stick-on rubber shelf which is significantly
        better than the cheap plastic one that the bow came with.

        Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice.
        -Hobbe

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Nest verch Tangwistel