Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 2370

  • John Mail
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16 9:12 AM
      Hello All. I'm de-lurking to ask for advice. I recently witnessed a
      right handed archer with a modern recurve draw the arrow on the right
      side of the bow. No, he was not using a thumb ring. When I questioned
      him, he replied that this style of shooting "worked for him". Since
      this was NOT an SCA tournament, and there was someone else in charge, I
      just left it alone. But this has left me wondering about the possible
      consequences of his continued shooting this way. I'm wondering if this
      will lead to damage to the equipment, or pose a danger to him. Any
      ideas, advice, or opinions?

      YIS,
      Laurens

      As the string rolls off your fingers it moves away from the bow and then pushes back against the bow as it begins moving forward. The same thing happens with a thumb release only on the other side.

      IMHO,

      Whether an archer can shoot well and safely in this fashion does not really matter. The problem is others will want to try it and you will be introducing an unsafe shooting manner to impressionable archers.

      I recently witnessed a crossbowman who loaded their crossbow while holding it straight up then arcing it down to horizontal to shoot. Whether or not he felt there was a zero percentage chance of accidental discharge doesn't matter. Other, less experienced archers, will want to try it and all it takes is one accident to lose a life.

      Master John Macandrew, OGGS