Re: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
      atruemark@... wrote:
      > Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
      > archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
      > award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
      > title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
      > Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
      > customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
      > these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
      > larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.
      >
      > None is this is codified in a rule set.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Master Andras

      Much is the same in Ansteorra. We have the Order of the Arc d'Or ( CAOA
      ). This is a GoA level award for archers. Members wear white bracers
      and some take students who they present with red bracers and refer as
      Arcarius. Although these relationships are not "official" they can be
      quite formal. As with the OGGS we are expected to teach and guide those
      students and the archery community as a whole.

      It is recognized that there is no title such as "Archos" and the BoD
      reserves the right grant the use of any titles that infer any rank and
      as such it is inappropriate for us to use any such title. However the
      community does use the word. For instance one of my students might say
      "My Archos is HL Eadric Anstapa." or a person wearing a red bracer
      might be asked "Who is your Archos?".

      Our order has no real formal duties outlined in our Constitution (can
      be read at http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/awards.shtml ) or in
      Kingdom Law. We are expected to continue to serve and do those things
      that brought us into the order.

      It is however understood that the Crown may call on the order to perform
      appropriate duties as needed. For example in the far northern reaches
      of Ansteorra there is the Province of Mooneschadowe that borders with
      Calontir. Each year their annual event is well attended by good friends
      from Calontir and for a number of years running their archery
      championship had been won by a Calontiri. On a recent occasion the
      Ansteorran Crown met with our order and told us that he was activating
      the order and calling the order to action. We were told that he
      expected us to see to it that at the upcoming Mooneschadowe event the
      Archery Championship was claimed by an Ansteorran. We complied with His
      Majesties wishes and that year the title stayed in Ansteorra (the trip
      was over 600 miles each way for me and two of my students).

      Regards,

      HL Eadric Anstapa
      Companion of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra

    • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
        Artemisia does not yet have a grant level archery award. (in process of
        writing the requirements and submitting to TRM)

        As far as archery orders, we have a Chartered Company: The Sagittarii,
        which is not tied to any award given, but has goals in mind for
        increasing rank within the company. The bylaws are currently being
        revised, as we are still in our formative years. :)

        Here is the link:

        http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/

        Godwin
      • Robert Maddison
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 8, 2006
          Ealdormere does not have an Archery specific GoA order,what we do have is
          The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer,a one size fits all Martial Arts GoA
          order.Ido not know of any "official" duties but we all continue in the
          manner that
          brought us to the attention of the order and their Majesties,and encourage
          and help all others to achieve the skill needed to join us, and of course to
          recomend those we see as worthy of induction to the other members and and to
          their Majesties. We also have the Yeomen of the Wolf,which gives a ranking
          to every archer in the kingdom who shoots enough to have an average,the
          ranks go from Bowman to Trillium archer,but itis not an elite group rather a
          means to encourage participation and effort to improve.
          THL Llywyllyn ap Mogred
          Archer Captain Barony of Rising Waters

          On 9/6/06, Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

          > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
          > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
          > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
          > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
          > the
          > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
          >
          > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
          > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
          > the need ever arise.
          >
          > Brad
          >
          > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
          >
          > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
          > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
          > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
          > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
          > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
          > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
          > >because they feel they are good things to do.
          > >
          > >Jon

        • Karl W. Evoy
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
            I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
            members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
            Ancel

            > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
            > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
            > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
            > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
            the
            > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
            >
            > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
            > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
            > the need ever arise.
            >
            > Brad
            >
            > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
            >

            > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
            > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
            > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
            > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
            > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
            > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
            > >because they feel they are good things to do.
            > >
            > >Jon
            > >

            > --

          • Robert Maddison
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
              The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
              that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
              decided to use the current name .
              Llywyllyn

              On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

              > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
              > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
              > Ancel

            • Russ Sheldon
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                In Aethelmarc they are called the Scarlet Guard ( They wear a red and white
                tassel )....not to be confused with the Scarlet Banner in Ealdormere.

                Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

                The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                decided to use the current name .
                Llywyllyn

                On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                > Ancel

                (Yahoo! ID required)

                mailto:SCA-Archery-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Forgot to include what Artemisia does have:
                  An AoA Kingdom level award, called the Gryphon and Pheon.

                  Then the Barony I live in, (Arn Hold- Boise Idaho) has an archery award
                  called the Bowman's Mark.

                  Godwin

                  Thu Sep 7, 2006 5:38 pm (PST)

                  Artemisia does not yet have a grant level archery award. (in process of
                  writing the requirements and submitting to TRM)

                  As far as archery orders, we have a Chartered Company: The Sagittarii,
                  which is not tied to any award given, but has goals in mind for
                  increasing rank within the company. The bylaws are currently being
                  revised, as we are still in our formative years. :)

                  Here is the link:

                  http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/
                  <http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/>

                  Godwin

                • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 13, 2006
                    You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                    archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                    also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                    stuff like court et al.

                    The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                    killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                    corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                    DOH!!

                    Brad

                    > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                    >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                    > Ancel

                  • J. Hughes
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 15, 2006
                      Congratulations. I am sorry I could not be there.

                      Charles O'Connor
                      Companion of the Scarlet Guard

                      Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
                      You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                      archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                      also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                      stuff like court et al.

                      The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                      killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                      corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                      DOH!!

                      Brad

                      > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                      >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                      > Ancel

                    • Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
                        Yes, congratulations Brad. Sorry I could not be there either... I'm still
                        recovering from shoulder surgery (nothing terrible so don't worry).

                        Hope to shoot with you soon.

                        Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                        Also Companion of the Scarlet Guard