Re: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
      In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
      Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
      It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
      various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with the
      general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)

      One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
      available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
      the need ever arise.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

      >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
      >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
      >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
      >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
      >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
      >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
      >because they feel they are good things to do.
      >
      >Jon

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
        atruemark@... wrote:
        > Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
        > archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
        > award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
        > title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
        > Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
        > customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
        > these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
        > larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.
        >
        > None is this is codified in a rule set.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Master Andras

        Much is the same in Ansteorra. We have the Order of the Arc d'Or ( CAOA
        ). This is a GoA level award for archers. Members wear white bracers
        and some take students who they present with red bracers and refer as
        Arcarius. Although these relationships are not "official" they can be
        quite formal. As with the OGGS we are expected to teach and guide those
        students and the archery community as a whole.

        It is recognized that there is no title such as "Archos" and the BoD
        reserves the right grant the use of any titles that infer any rank and
        as such it is inappropriate for us to use any such title. However the
        community does use the word. For instance one of my students might say
        "My Archos is HL Eadric Anstapa." or a person wearing a red bracer
        might be asked "Who is your Archos?".

        Our order has no real formal duties outlined in our Constitution (can
        be read at http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/awards.shtml ) or in
        Kingdom Law. We are expected to continue to serve and do those things
        that brought us into the order.

        It is however understood that the Crown may call on the order to perform
        appropriate duties as needed. For example in the far northern reaches
        of Ansteorra there is the Province of Mooneschadowe that borders with
        Calontir. Each year their annual event is well attended by good friends
        from Calontir and for a number of years running their archery
        championship had been won by a Calontiri. On a recent occasion the
        Ansteorran Crown met with our order and told us that he was activating
        the order and calling the order to action. We were told that he
        expected us to see to it that at the upcoming Mooneschadowe event the
        Archery Championship was claimed by an Ansteorran. We complied with His
        Majesties wishes and that year the title stayed in Ansteorra (the trip
        was over 600 miles each way for me and two of my students).

        Regards,

        HL Eadric Anstapa
        Companion of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra

      • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
          Artemisia does not yet have a grant level archery award. (in process of
          writing the requirements and submitting to TRM)

          As far as archery orders, we have a Chartered Company: The Sagittarii,
          which is not tied to any award given, but has goals in mind for
          increasing rank within the company. The bylaws are currently being
          revised, as we are still in our formative years. :)

          Here is the link:

          http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/

          Godwin
        • Robert Maddison
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 8, 2006
            Ealdormere does not have an Archery specific GoA order,what we do have is
            The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer,a one size fits all Martial Arts GoA
            order.Ido not know of any "official" duties but we all continue in the
            manner that
            brought us to the attention of the order and their Majesties,and encourage
            and help all others to achieve the skill needed to join us, and of course to
            recomend those we see as worthy of induction to the other members and and to
            their Majesties. We also have the Yeomen of the Wolf,which gives a ranking
            to every archer in the kingdom who shoots enough to have an average,the
            ranks go from Bowman to Trillium archer,but itis not an elite group rather a
            means to encourage participation and effort to improve.
            THL Llywyllyn ap Mogred
            Archer Captain Barony of Rising Waters

            On 9/6/06, Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

            > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
            > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
            > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
            > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
            > the
            > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
            >
            > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
            > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
            > the need ever arise.
            >
            > Brad
            >
            > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
            >
            > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
            > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
            > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
            > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
            > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
            > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
            > >because they feel they are good things to do.
            > >
            > >Jon

          • Karl W. Evoy
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
              I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
              members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
              Ancel

              > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
              > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
              > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
              > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
              the
              > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
              >
              > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
              > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
              > the need ever arise.
              >
              > Brad
              >
              > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
              >

              > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
              > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
              > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
              > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
              > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
              > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
              > >because they feel they are good things to do.
              > >
              > >Jon
              > >

              > --

            • Robert Maddison
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                decided to use the current name .
                Llywyllyn

                On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                > Ancel

              • Russ Sheldon
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                  In Aethelmarc they are called the Scarlet Guard ( They wear a red and white
                  tassel )....not to be confused with the Scarlet Banner in Ealdormere.

                  Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

                  The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                  that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                  decided to use the current name .
                  Llywyllyn

                  On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                  > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                  > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                  > Ancel

                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  mailto:SCA-Archery-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Forgot to include what Artemisia does have:
                    An AoA Kingdom level award, called the Gryphon and Pheon.

                    Then the Barony I live in, (Arn Hold- Boise Idaho) has an archery award
                    called the Bowman's Mark.

                    Godwin

                    Thu Sep 7, 2006 5:38 pm (PST)

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 13, 2006
                      You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                      archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                      also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                      stuff like court et al.

                      The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                      killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                      corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                      DOH!!

                      Brad

                      > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                      >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                      > Ancel

                    • J. Hughes
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 15, 2006
                        Congratulations. I am sorry I could not be there.

                        Charles O'Connor
                        Companion of the Scarlet Guard

                        Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
                        You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                        archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                        also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                        stuff like court et al.

                        The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                        killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                        corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                        DOH!!

                        Brad

                        > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                        >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                        > Ancel

                      • Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
                          Yes, congratulations Brad. Sorry I could not be there either... I'm still
                          recovering from shoulder surgery (nothing terrible so don't worry).

                          Hope to shoot with you soon.

                          Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                          Also Companion of the Scarlet Guard