Re: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
      In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
      Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
      It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
      various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with the
      general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)

      One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
      available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
      the need ever arise.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

      >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
      >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
      >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
      >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
      >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
      >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
      >because they feel they are good things to do.
      >
      >Jon

    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
        Calontir is much the same, to continue to act in the manner that
        brought you to Their Majesty's attention as deserving membership in
        Their order, but does come with a few other honors/responsibilities.
        The AoA level orders for both fighters and archers, the Fyrd, have the
        honor of being Her Majesty's guards, and the GoA level orders, the
        Huscarls, are His guards. In practice, Their Majesties pick personal
        guards as well, which may or may not be of those orders.

        My order scroll also spoke of guarding the Kingdom's highways, rivers,
        and bridges, and the privelidge of taking one rabbit a week from His
        Majesty's forest at Dun Ard. (No word yet on how the mundane MP's
        might feel about this, though.)

        Calontir has a Kingdom level archery tournament, King's Companie of
        Archers, and the Huscarls act as scoring marshalls for the tournament,
        but membership in the order certainly is not contingent on said
        service.

        > I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various
        target
        > archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
        > requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
        > information on what their duties are after they become a member of
        the
        > order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
        > down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the
        order
        > because they feel they are good things to do.
        >
        > Jon

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
          Some of you have provided some interesting information on the duties of
          various archery orders in different kingdoms. But, I know there are
          more orders in more kingdoms than have been mentioned so far. I would
          really like to hear from you as well

          Many thanks

          Jon
        • atruemark@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
            Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
            archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
            award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
            title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
            Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
            customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
            these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
            larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.

            None is this is codified in a rule set.

            Regards,

            Master Andras

          • GARY HENDERSON
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
              Greetings
              Being the latest induction to the Order of Aquila (Northshield,s GOA level for artillery arts) I am also interested in what other kingdoms are doing. We are still in our infancy and 6 strong. We are mostly service orientated and have yet to establish any recognizable regalia. We recognize that skill is part of picking our inductees but we are still seeking a balance of where to draw the line.
              THL Gwyn CuCymry
              Northsheild Archer General
              Order of Aquila

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                atruemark@... wrote:
                > Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
                > archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
                > award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
                > title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
                > Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
                > customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
                > these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
                > larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.
                >
                > None is this is codified in a rule set.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Master Andras

                Much is the same in Ansteorra. We have the Order of the Arc d'Or ( CAOA
                ). This is a GoA level award for archers. Members wear white bracers
                and some take students who they present with red bracers and refer as
                Arcarius. Although these relationships are not "official" they can be
                quite formal. As with the OGGS we are expected to teach and guide those
                students and the archery community as a whole.

                It is recognized that there is no title such as "Archos" and the BoD
                reserves the right grant the use of any titles that infer any rank and
                as such it is inappropriate for us to use any such title. However the
                community does use the word. For instance one of my students might say
                "My Archos is HL Eadric Anstapa." or a person wearing a red bracer
                might be asked "Who is your Archos?".

                Our order has no real formal duties outlined in our Constitution (can
                be read at http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/awards.shtml ) or in
                Kingdom Law. We are expected to continue to serve and do those things
                that brought us into the order.

                It is however understood that the Crown may call on the order to perform
                appropriate duties as needed. For example in the far northern reaches
                of Ansteorra there is the Province of Mooneschadowe that borders with
                Calontir. Each year their annual event is well attended by good friends
                from Calontir and for a number of years running their archery
                championship had been won by a Calontiri. On a recent occasion the
                Ansteorran Crown met with our order and told us that he was activating
                the order and calling the order to action. We were told that he
                expected us to see to it that at the upcoming Mooneschadowe event the
                Archery Championship was claimed by an Ansteorran. We complied with His
                Majesties wishes and that year the title stayed in Ansteorra (the trip
                was over 600 miles each way for me and two of my students).

                Regards,

                HL Eadric Anstapa
                Companion of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra

              • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Artemisia does not yet have a grant level archery award. (in process of
                  writing the requirements and submitting to TRM)

                  As far as archery orders, we have a Chartered Company: The Sagittarii,
                  which is not tied to any award given, but has goals in mind for
                  increasing rank within the company. The bylaws are currently being
                  revised, as we are still in our formative years. :)

                  Here is the link:

                  http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/

                  Godwin
                • Robert Maddison
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 8, 2006
                    Ealdormere does not have an Archery specific GoA order,what we do have is
                    The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer,a one size fits all Martial Arts GoA
                    order.Ido not know of any "official" duties but we all continue in the
                    manner that
                    brought us to the attention of the order and their Majesties,and encourage
                    and help all others to achieve the skill needed to join us, and of course to
                    recomend those we see as worthy of induction to the other members and and to
                    their Majesties. We also have the Yeomen of the Wolf,which gives a ranking
                    to every archer in the kingdom who shoots enough to have an average,the
                    ranks go from Bowman to Trillium archer,but itis not an elite group rather a
                    means to encourage participation and effort to improve.
                    THL Llywyllyn ap Mogred
                    Archer Captain Barony of Rising Waters

                    On 9/6/06, Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

                    > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
                    > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
                    > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
                    > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
                    > the
                    > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
                    >
                    > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
                    > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
                    > the need ever arise.
                    >
                    > Brad
                    >
                    > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
                    >
                    > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
                    > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
                    > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
                    > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
                    > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
                    > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
                    > >because they feel they are good things to do.
                    > >
                    > >Jon

                  • Karl W. Evoy
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                      I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                      members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                      Ancel

                      > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
                      > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
                      > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
                      > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
                      the
                      > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
                      >
                      > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
                      > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
                      > the need ever arise.
                      >
                      > Brad
                      >
                      > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
                      >

                      > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
                      > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
                      > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
                      > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
                      > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
                      > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
                      > >because they feel they are good things to do.
                      > >
                      > >Jon
                      > >

                      > --

                    • Robert Maddison
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                        The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                        that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                        decided to use the current name .
                        Llywyllyn

                        On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                        > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                        > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                        > Ancel

                      • Russ Sheldon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                          In Aethelmarc they are called the Scarlet Guard ( They wear a red and white
                          tassel )....not to be confused with the Scarlet Banner in Ealdormere.

                          Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

                          The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                          that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                          decided to use the current name .
                          Llywyllyn

                          On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                          > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                          > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                          > Ancel

                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                          mailto:SCA-Archery-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 11, 2006
                            Forgot to include what Artemisia does have:
                            An AoA Kingdom level award, called the Gryphon and Pheon.

                            Then the Barony I live in, (Arn Hold- Boise Idaho) has an archery award
                            called the Bowman's Mark.

                            Godwin

                            Thu Sep 7, 2006 5:38 pm (PST)

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 13, 2006
                              You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                              archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                              also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                              stuff like court et al.

                              The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                              killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                              corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                              DOH!!

                              Brad

                              > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                              >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                              > Ancel

                            • J. Hughes
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 15, 2006
                                Congratulations. I am sorry I could not be there.

                                Charles O'Connor
                                Companion of the Scarlet Guard

                                Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
                                You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                                archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                                also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                                stuff like court et al.

                                The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                                killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                                corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                                DOH!!

                                Brad

                                > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                > Ancel

                              • Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
                                  Yes, congratulations Brad. Sorry I could not be there either... I'm still
                                  recovering from shoulder surgery (nothing terrible so don't worry).

                                  Hope to shoot with you soon.

                                  Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                                  Also Companion of the Scarlet Guard