Re: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
      In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
      Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
      It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
      various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with the
      general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)

      One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
      available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
      the need ever arise.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?

      >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
      >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
      >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
      >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
      >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
      >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
      >because they feel they are good things to do.
      >
      >Jon

    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hi Jon,
        I know in Atlantia, most GOA, AOA and local awards are aknowledgement
        of past contributions without expectation of future recompense. I
        think only Peers and Royalty are expectedly the rarity where you
        go "Here's your Award/Title, now it's time to really get to work."
        -Cian of Storvik
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 6, 2006
          Thank you.

          Any other comments?

          Jon
          On Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at 08:35 PM, Cian of Storvik wrote:

          > Hi Jon,
          > I know in Atlantia, most GOA, AOA and local awards are aknowledgement
          > of past contributions without expectation of future recompense. I
          > think only Peers and Royalty are expectedly the rarity where you
          > go "Here's your Award/Title, now it's time to really get to work."
          > -Cian of Storvik

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
            In Caid, every recipient of an award is expected to continue doing
            what they did to get it. And preferably help some others along to
            theirs as well.
            Carolus

            At 10:10 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:

            >Thank you.
            >
            >Any other comments?
            >
            >Jon
            >On Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at 08:35 PM, Cian of Storvik wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Jon,
            > > I know in Atlantia, most GOA, AOA and local awards are aknowledgement
            > > of past contributions without expectation of future recompense. I
            > > think only Peers and Royalty are expectedly the rarity where you
            > > go "Here's your Award/Title, now it's time to really get to work."
            > > -Cian of Storvik

          • Bruce R. Gordon
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
              Greetings

              In the Middle Kingdom, we have the Order of the Greenwood Company as the GoA-kevel archery recognition. Candidates are expected to excel in at least two of three catagories - skill, service (which comes down to marshalling (and not merely local but travelling), basically; although it could conceivably involve other things), and/or archery related A+S (i.e. bowyery, fletching, or perhaps other fields). A fourth without-which-not catagory that isn't mentioned in the statutes but is definitely present as a factor, is leadership - not heading up a guild or unit, but being a source, inspiration, and magnet for archery-related activity in your area.

              Recipients of the Company are expected to continue their expertise, and develop it further if possible. It is a specific acknowlegement that one is a leader (in the above sense) and that you will remain as such. This is not written into the statutes explicitly, but is an understood thing among members and the archery community as a whole.

              Nigel

              > I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
              > archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
              > requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
              > information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
              > order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
              > down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
              > because they feel they are good things to do.
              >
              > Jon

              "Do these colors match?"
              "Is this too much jewelry?"
              "Is that my drink?"

            • Jennie Fernandez
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                My induction into the Order of the Arc de Ore included
                a Grant and was awarded for past service. I am simply
                expected to continue what I started and to build on
                that. Arianna

                --- John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

                > Thank you.
                >
                > Any other comments?
                >
                > Jon
                > On Wednesday, September 6, 2006, at 08:35 PM, Cian
                > of Storvik wrote:
                >
                > > Hi Jon,
                > > I know in Atlantia, most GOA, AOA and local awards
                > are aknowledgement
                > > of past contributions without expectation of
                > future recompense. I
                > > think only Peers and Royalty are expectedly the
                > rarity where you
                > > go "Here's your Award/Title, now it's time to
                > really get to work."
                > > -Cian of Storvik

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • logantheboweyder
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Calontir is much the same, to continue to act in the manner that
                  brought you to Their Majesty's attention as deserving membership in
                  Their order, but does come with a few other honors/responsibilities.
                  The AoA level orders for both fighters and archers, the Fyrd, have the
                  honor of being Her Majesty's guards, and the GoA level orders, the
                  Huscarls, are His guards. In practice, Their Majesties pick personal
                  guards as well, which may or may not be of those orders.

                  My order scroll also spoke of guarding the Kingdom's highways, rivers,
                  and bridges, and the privelidge of taking one rabbit a week from His
                  Majesty's forest at Dun Ard. (No word yet on how the mundane MP's
                  might feel about this, though.)

                  Calontir has a Kingdom level archery tournament, King's Companie of
                  Archers, and the Huscarls act as scoring marshalls for the tournament,
                  but membership in the order certainly is not contingent on said
                  service.

                  > I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various
                  target
                  > archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
                  > requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
                  > information on what their duties are after they become a member of
                  the
                  > order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
                  > down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the
                  order
                  > because they feel they are good things to do.
                  >
                  > Jon

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Some of you have provided some interesting information on the duties of
                    various archery orders in different kingdoms. But, I know there are
                    more orders in more kingdoms than have been mentioned so far. I would
                    really like to hear from you as well

                    Many thanks

                    Jon
                  • atruemark@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                      Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
                      archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
                      award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
                      title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
                      Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
                      customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
                      these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
                      larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.

                      None is this is codified in a rule set.

                      Regards,

                      Master Andras

                    • GARY HENDERSON
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Greetings
                        Being the latest induction to the Order of Aquila (Northshield,s GOA level for artillery arts) I am also interested in what other kingdoms are doing. We are still in our infancy and 6 strong. We are mostly service orientated and have yet to establish any recognizable regalia. We recognize that skill is part of picking our inductees but we are still seeking a balance of where to draw the line.
                        THL Gwyn CuCymry
                        Northsheild Archer General
                        Order of Aquila

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                          atruemark@... wrote:
                          > Greetings. In AnTir it is much the same as other Kingdoms. The highest
                          > archery specific order is the Order of the Gray Goose Shaft and is a GoA level
                          > award. Members have customary items of wear (white bracer) and a customary
                          > title (Archos). Members may take students, who have the customary title
                          > Arcarius, although the relationship is not "official." These students may wear a
                          > customary red bracer to identify their status. Members are expected to teach
                          > these students the arts and sciences of archery, as well as work within the
                          > larger archery community to pass on their skills and knowledge.
                          >
                          > None is this is codified in a rule set.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Master Andras

                          Much is the same in Ansteorra. We have the Order of the Arc d'Or ( CAOA
                          ). This is a GoA level award for archers. Members wear white bracers
                          and some take students who they present with red bracers and refer as
                          Arcarius. Although these relationships are not "official" they can be
                          quite formal. As with the OGGS we are expected to teach and guide those
                          students and the archery community as a whole.

                          It is recognized that there is no title such as "Archos" and the BoD
                          reserves the right grant the use of any titles that infer any rank and
                          as such it is inappropriate for us to use any such title. However the
                          community does use the word. For instance one of my students might say
                          "My Archos is HL Eadric Anstapa." or a person wearing a red bracer
                          might be asked "Who is your Archos?".

                          Our order has no real formal duties outlined in our Constitution (can
                          be read at http://marshal.ansteorra.org/archery/awards.shtml ) or in
                          Kingdom Law. We are expected to continue to serve and do those things
                          that brought us into the order.

                          It is however understood that the Crown may call on the order to perform
                          appropriate duties as needed. For example in the far northern reaches
                          of Ansteorra there is the Province of Mooneschadowe that borders with
                          Calontir. Each year their annual event is well attended by good friends
                          from Calontir and for a number of years running their archery
                          championship had been won by a Calontiri. On a recent occasion the
                          Ansteorran Crown met with our order and told us that he was activating
                          the order and calling the order to action. We were told that he
                          expected us to see to it that at the upcoming Mooneschadowe event the
                          Archery Championship was claimed by an Ansteorran. We complied with His
                          Majesties wishes and that year the title stayed in Ansteorra (the trip
                          was over 600 miles each way for me and two of my students).

                          Regards,

                          HL Eadric Anstapa
                          Companion of the Arc d'Or of Ansteorra

                        • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 7, 2006
                            Artemisia does not yet have a grant level archery award. (in process of
                            writing the requirements and submitting to TRM)

                            As far as archery orders, we have a Chartered Company: The Sagittarii,
                            which is not tied to any award given, but has goals in mind for
                            increasing rank within the company. The bylaws are currently being
                            revised, as we are still in our formative years. :)

                            Here is the link:

                            http://www.geocities.com/sagittariiartemisia/

                            Godwin
                          • Robert Maddison
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2006
                              Ealdormere does not have an Archery specific GoA order,what we do have is
                              The Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer,a one size fits all Martial Arts GoA
                              order.Ido not know of any "official" duties but we all continue in the
                              manner that
                              brought us to the attention of the order and their Majesties,and encourage
                              and help all others to achieve the skill needed to join us, and of course to
                              recomend those we see as worthy of induction to the other members and and to
                              their Majesties. We also have the Yeomen of the Wolf,which gives a ranking
                              to every archer in the kingdom who shoots enough to have an average,the
                              ranks go from Bowman to Trillium archer,but itis not an elite group rather a
                              means to encourage participation and effort to improve.
                              THL Llywyllyn ap Mogred
                              Archer Captain Barony of Rising Waters

                              On 9/6/06, Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:

                              > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
                              > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
                              > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
                              > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
                              > the
                              > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
                              >
                              > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
                              > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
                              > the need ever arise.
                              >
                              > Brad
                              >
                              > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
                              >
                              > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
                              > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
                              > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
                              > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
                              > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
                              > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
                              > >because they feel they are good things to do.
                              > >
                              > >Jon

                            • Karl W. Evoy
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                                I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                Ancel

                                > In Æthelmearc we have the Æthelmearc Company of Archers which is not a
                                > Kingdom award of any sort. It falls nowhere within the OP of the Kingdom.
                                > It's a loose collection of Archers who have been playing consistantly at
                                > various events, and sharing the joy of killing all sorts of targets with
                                the
                                > general populace (setting up ranges, teaching, stc.)
                                >
                                > One of the traditional (UNofficial) 'duties' is that the Company are
                                > available at any event which they attend to serve as Queen's Guard should
                                > the need ever arise.
                                >
                                > Brad
                                >
                                > Subject: [SCA-Archery] Duties?
                                >

                                > >I am interested in learning what the duties are of the various target
                                > >archery orders in all the kingdoms. I can find on line what the
                                > >requirements are for most of the orders. But, I find little
                                > >information on what their duties are after they become a member of the
                                > >order. I would also like to know if these duties are "official" set
                                > >down in writing when the order was created or just assumed by the order
                                > >because they feel they are good things to do.
                                > >
                                > >Jon
                                > >

                                > --

                              • Robert Maddison
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                                  The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                                  that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                                  decided to use the current name .
                                  Llywyllyn

                                  On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                                  > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                  > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                  > Ancel

                                • Russ Sheldon
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 10, 2006
                                    In Aethelmarc they are called the Scarlet Guard ( They wear a red and white
                                    tassel )....not to be confused with the Scarlet Banner in Ealdormere.

                                    Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion

                                    The Scarlet Banner is our AoA level martial arts award,and I have been told
                                    that it was at one time suggested as the name for the GoA order,,but it was
                                    decided to use the current name .
                                    Llywyllyn

                                    On 9/10/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:

                                    > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                    > members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                    > Ancel

                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    mailto:SCA-Archery-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 11, 2006
                                      Forgot to include what Artemisia does have:
                                      An AoA Kingdom level award, called the Gryphon and Pheon.

                                      Then the Barony I live in, (Arn Hold- Boise Idaho) has an archery award
                                      called the Bowman's Mark.

                                      Godwin

                                      Thu Sep 7, 2006 5:38 pm (PST)

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 13, 2006
                                        You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                                        archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                                        also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                                        stuff like court et al.

                                        The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                                        killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                                        corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                                        DOH!!

                                        Brad

                                        > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                        >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                        > Ancel

                                      • J. Hughes
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 15, 2006
                                          Congratulations. I am sorry I could not be there.

                                          Charles O'Connor
                                          Companion of the Scarlet Guard

                                          Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote:
                                          You are correct. The Scarlet Guard is the High Order of Merit for target
                                          archery and we do wear the red and white tassle to designate the rank. We
                                          also wear a red 'scarf' with the Escarbuncle emblazoned on it for official
                                          stuff like court et al.

                                          The guard has no official duties other than continuing to promote the
                                          killing of targets throughout the Kingdom that I am aware of. I *Will* be
                                          corrected if I err in this as I was just inducted this last weekend.

                                          DOH!!

                                          Brad

                                          > I thought you had a grant level award called "The Scarlet Guard", the
                                          >members wearing a red and white tassel from their quiver/belt?
                                          > Ancel

                                        • Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 19, 2006
                                            Yes, congratulations Brad. Sorry I could not be there either... I'm still
                                            recovering from shoulder surgery (nothing terrible so don't worry).

                                            Hope to shoot with you soon.

                                            Ce'tach Fitzgibbon
                                            Also Companion of the Scarlet Guard